Nov 25, 2001
Best PCI video card for games?

My specs:

AMD ALTHLON 700MHX
384 SD RAM
Sound Blaster pro
Nvidia Riva TNT 2 Model 64
Monitor can safely at 1024 x 768

The moboboard is bad, no AGP!. Its got onboard video card and sound card.

Need a PCI Graphics card which gives the best performance possibal for a PCI card. I play a lot of games. Having trouble running newer games like Return To Castle Wolfenstine and Tom Clanceys Ghost Recon (best game ive ever played) at the max resolution my monitor can handle (1024 x 768)

Heard there are some 64mb ones? Anybody got a make and model number for the best one?

Im in the UK (Manchester), so need a site which ships to the UK or even better is operated from the UK

Cheers for any infomation you might have

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
A PCI Vidcard isn't worth the price. Low end AGP cards can toast them, and cost less. Also, they can cause problems with other PCI Components due to limited bandwith and a shared bus.

Is your CPU a slot or Socket CPU?

If you have a socket A, I'd upgrade the MB to an Nforce Motherboard. It would upgrade your Vidcard to a Geforce 2 MX-ish integrated card, you get the upgraded sound too(SB Pro was nice in it's day, but it's day was '92). It also has an AGP port so you can upgrade the vidcard later.

If it's a slot A, you could either replace the Motherboard (I'm sure you can find a cheep Slot A MB, perhaps with integrated sound that would upgrade your SB Pro), or replace the CPU and Motherboard. If you do that, I'd go with either a KT266A based motherboard, or the above listed Nforce if you want to save money on parts at the moment.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet