firewall question/confusion

Robert

I have been running winxpsp2 with Norton AV 2005 and ZoneAlarm for several
months. A tech on a radio show said that it would be a good idea to install
a wired router instead of/or in addition to a software firewall, as some
worms are now disabling software firewalls. I purchased a D-link 604 wired
router and installed it today. I then turned off ZoneAlarm. Windows XP
firewall is also "off". However when I go to Windows Security Center, it
shows that I still have a firewall "on". The drop down menu shows that this
"firewall" is Norton worm protection. I don't think Norton worm protection is
very good as the only firewall, but I am told all I need is the d-link router
acting as a firewall, and that running two software firewalls is not a good
idea.

Now my question is: Should I just continue to use Zonealarm along with the
d-link? ZA slows down my computer slightly, but I am confused as to whether I
really need it, and if so, why does Security Center show Norton 2005 as a
"firewall" when all I have is the antivirus? My test with grc.com shows
stealth with ZA, but with the d-link alone, it shows that port 113 is
"closed" but not stealth.

Very confusing stuff for a non-techie.

--
Robert

You may have answered your own question..You need to experiment and see what
works best for your situation. If you need the router and want a firewall too
and all works and you have stealth on all ports fine. If the wired router
provides complete stealth and the tests show this to be true and ZA slows
down your system then don't use it.
I took the test (Shields UP) and am totally stealth safe and use (NIS)
Norton Internet Security which includes NAV and have never had any major
problems in the 5 years I have used it on my machines.. I don't use or need a
router wired or otherwise, but that is for my situation..

This may enlighten you see if it does..
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

j;-)

"Robert" wrote:

> I have been running winxpsp2 with Norton AV 2005 and ZoneAlarm for several
> months. A tech on a radio show said that it would be a good idea to install
> a wired router instead of/or in addition to a software firewall, as some
> worms are now disabling software firewalls. I purchased a D-link 604 wired
> router and installed it today. I then turned off ZoneAlarm. Windows XP
> firewall is also "off". However when I go to Windows Security Center, it
> shows that I still have a firewall "on". The drop down menu shows that this
> "firewall" is Norton worm protection. I don't think Norton worm protection is
> very good as the only firewall, but I am told all I need is the d-link router
> acting as a firewall, and that running two software firewalls is not a good
> idea.
>
> Now my question is: Should I just continue to use Zonealarm along with the
> d-link? ZA slows down my computer slightly, but I am confused as to whether I
> really need it, and if so, why does Security Center show Norton 2005 as a
> "firewall" when all I have is the antivirus? My test with grc.com shows
> stealth with ZA, but with the d-link alone, it shows that port 113 is
> "closed" but not stealth.
>
> Very confusing stuff for a non-techie.
>

> --
> Robert

I just realized the link I provided previously has a problem due to the
security on that site, cool feature.. So, you will need to start at the
beginning and work your way to the page that explains the issues with port
113, sorry bout dat..

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

j:-0