Huge discrepancy in memory price of Dell vs. Crucial

I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100. The
base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds an
incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to the
Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It makes
no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the retail
product. What gives?

"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100. The
>base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds an
>incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to the
>Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It makes
>no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the retail
>product. What gives?

Purely profit. Aren't you glad you're wise enough to know the difference
and save over $600?

It's no different when my brother goes and buys a new car on impulse. I
suspect he's lost or added debt of five large or more in the past two years
(not counting substantial new car depreciation once it touches the asphalt
off of the dealer lot) for just being, well, stupid.

Information and common sense are power.

Stew

"Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:
[4G memory, Dell $1099, Crucial $504]

Yeah, Dell has some really high prices on peripheral stuff (same for
large hard drives, etc). Note that there are people out there who
want the whole system from one vendor, with one warranty, one tech
support call, shipped assembled in one box. Many of them don't have
the skills (or the time) to order a system with no memory or minimum
memory, install it, and own the configuration, compatability, and
diagnostic/repair/warranty issues.

Think of it as another source for what you want, if you don't like
their prices, buy from someone else. Heck, you can save a few more
buks by buying every piece of the system separately and assembling it
yourself. This is especially thrifty if your time is worth nothing!
8*)

People will pay, for the support if nothing else.
This is similar to other OEMs.
It makes sense since people will pay the higher price.
After all among other things, Dell and the others are in it to make money.
If you were a stockholder of Dell, you would want dell to offer that
service...at a price.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> People will pay, for the support if nothing else.
> This is similar to other OEMs.
> It makes sense since people will pay the higher price.

hmmm, and Crucial offer a lifetime warranty.

What "support" can *any* OEM give where memory problems are suspected?

Any half-savvy pc user will have already run Memtest86 or similar and will
know there's a memory problem surely?

"Corporate greed" is the phrase you're looking for I think.

The words "Dell" and "Support" are contradictory. Dell support is a joke!
"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> People will pay, for the support if nothing else.
> This is similar to other OEMs.
> It makes sense since people will pay the higher price.
> After all among other things, Dell and the others are in it to make money.
> If you were a stockholder of Dell, you would want dell to offer that
> service...at a price.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100. The
>>base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds an
>>incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to the
>>Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It makes
>>no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the retail
>>product. What gives?

keith

DellBot Alert!!!!

"Keith" <kman22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> DellBot Alert!!!!

<snip>

Dude reads like Irene.

Actually, "Macon" and "Keith" mysteriously post from EXACTLY the same news
server, even though their email addresses are very different. It's sad when
the Anti-Dells have to make up new identities to try to trash Dell.

Tom

Talkin Horse wrote:
> I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100. The
> base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds an
> incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to the
> Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It makes
> no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the retail
> product. What gives?

New product, high demand, perhaps?

When I bought my Dim 8400 3 months ago it came with 1 GB and I wanted 2
GB, so I checked out Dell & Crucial. They were so close in price I
bought the Dell (first time I've ever bought Dell memory).

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:
> [4G memory, Dell $1099, Crucial $504]
>
> Yeah, Dell has some really high prices on peripheral stuff (same for
> large hard drives, etc). Note that there are people out there who
> want the whole system from one vendor, with one warranty, one tech
> support call, shipped assembled in one box. Many of them don't have
> the skills (or the time) to order a system with no memory or minimum
> memory, install it, and own the configuration, compatability, and
> diagnostic/repair/warranty issues.
>
> Think of it as another source for what you want, if you don't like
> their prices, buy from someone else. Heck, you can save a few more
> buks by buying every piece of the system separately and assembling it
> yourself. This is especially thrifty if your time is worth nothing!
> 8*)

For the most part, I doubt I could do much better buying from someone else,
or even by assembling from components. But those memory prices stand out
like a proverbial sore thumb, and would presumably incentivize just about
anybody to steer clear, considering the ease of alternative solutions. The
thing was so obvious that I figured there must be an angle I was somehow
failing to perceive. But I guess not.

> When I bought my Dim 8400 3 months ago it came with 1 GB and I wanted 2
> GB, so I checked out Dell & Crucial. They were so close in price I bought
> the Dell (first time I've ever bought Dell memory).

dell OEM's their memory from various companies. They use a just-in-time
ordering system, so if you buy 1 1GB dimm one month, and need another 3
months later, the chances are good that it wont be from the same MFG. It
really comes down to whose truck is backed up to the dock on that particular
day. I have seen them use Crucial, Infinion, and Micron.

If you see memory with a lifetime warrenty elsewhere for less, buy it. Its
all the same, and you get to control the product you receive.

- NuTs

> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> [4G memory, Dell $1099, Crucial $504]
>>
>> Yeah, Dell has some really high prices on peripheral stuff (same for
>> large hard drives, etc). Note that there are people out there who
>> want the whole system from one vendor, with one warranty, one tech
>> support call, shipped assembled in one box. Many of them don't have
>> the skills (or the time) to order a system with no memory or minimum
>> memory, install it, and own the configuration, compatability, and
>> diagnostic/repair/warranty issues.
>>
>> Think of it as another source for what you want, if you don't like
>> their prices, buy from someone else. Heck, you can save a few more
>> buks by buying every piece of the system separately and assembling it
>> yourself. This is especially thrifty if your time is worth nothing!
>> 8*)
>
> For the most part, I doubt I could do much better buying from someone
> else, or even by assembling from components. But those memory prices stand
> out like a proverbial sore thumb, and would presumably incentivize just
> about anybody to steer clear, considering the ease of alternative
> solutions. The thing was so obvious that I figured there must be an angle
> I was somehow failing to perceive. But I guess not.

Dell very, very frequently has double memory sales. To make that appear
like a deal, full price has to be high.

I buy all my memory from Crucial.

Tom

> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
>>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> [4G memory, Dell $1099, Crucial $504]
>>>
>>> Yeah, Dell has some really high prices on peripheral stuff (same for
>>> large hard drives, etc). Note that there are people out there who
>>> want the whole system from one vendor, with one warranty, one tech
>>> support call, shipped assembled in one box. Many of them don't have
>>> the skills (or the time) to order a system with no memory or minimum
>>> memory, install it, and own the configuration, compatability, and
>>> diagnostic/repair/warranty issues.
>>>
>>> Think of it as another source for what you want, if you don't like
>>> their prices, buy from someone else. Heck, you can save a few more
>>> buks by buying every piece of the system separately and assembling it
>>> yourself. This is especially thrifty if your time is worth nothing!
>>> 8*)
>>
>> For the most part, I doubt I could do much better buying from someone
>> else, or even by assembling from components. But those memory prices
>> stand out like a proverbial sore thumb, and would presumably incentivize
>> just about anybody to steer clear, considering the ease of alternative
>> solutions. The thing was so obvious that I figured there must be an angle
>> I was somehow failing to perceive. But I guess not.
>>

> Dell very, very frequently has double memory sales. To make that appear
> like a deal, full price has to be high.
>
> I buy all my memory from Crucial.
>
> Tom

I have been building and upgrading computer for many years. I too used to
use Crucial, but I have found that the very best memory available is from
Corsair. I have never had a single bad stick of Corsair, from any of their
lines. I have also not yet had any memory related errors or failures in any
of the computers I have built using Corsair RAM. I would also add that the
customer support is top notch and the gentleman that runs the company knows
his product and is extremely knowledgeable.

Bobby

>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message

>>> For the most part, I doubt I could do much better buying from someone
>>> else, or even by assembling from components. But those memory prices
>>> stand out like a proverbial sore thumb, and would presumably incentivize
>>> just about anybody to steer clear, considering the ease of alternative
>>> solutions. The thing was so obvious that I figured there must be an
>>> angle I was somehow failing to perceive. But I guess not.
>>>

>> Dell very, very frequently has double memory sales. To make that appear
>> like a deal, full price has to be high.
>>
>> I buy all my memory from Crucial.
>>
>> Tom
>>

> I have been building and upgrading computer for many years. I too used to
> use Crucial, but I have found that the very best memory available is from
> Corsair. I have never had a single bad stick of Corsair, from any of
> their lines. I have also not yet had any memory related errors or
> failures in any of the computers I have built using Corsair RAM. I would
> also add that the customer support is top notch and the gentleman that
> runs the company knows his product and is extremely knowledgeable.
>
> Bobby

From whom does Corsair purchase their memory. I don't think they actually
own a fab. Crucial does (Micron).

Honestly, I tend to buy cheap memory, most of the time Crucial, but
sometimes others, and it all just works.

Tom

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Dell very, very frequently has double memory sales. To make that appear
>>> like a deal, full price has to be high.
>>>
>>> I buy all my memory from Crucial.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> I have been building and upgrading computer for many years. I too used
>> to use Crucial, but I have found that the very best memory available is
>> from Corsair. I have never had a single bad stick of Corsair, from any
>> of their lines. I have also not yet had any memory related errors or
>> failures in any of the computers I have built using Corsair RAM. I would
>> also add that the customer support is top notch and the gentleman that
>> runs the company knows his product and is extremely knowledgeable.
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> From whom does Corsair purchase their memory. I don't think they actually
> own a fab. Crucial does (Micron).
>
> Honestly, I tend to buy cheap memory, most of the time Crucial, but
> sometimes others, and it all just works.
>
> Tom

Corsair does manufacture its own RAM, and has a value line that is also high
quality. Even on their budget RAM, the SPD timings are matched and are the
full value stated. The components are of the absolute highest quality, and
there is no mixing of components. As I said, I used to be a very big fan of
Crucial, and Crucial does make a fine product, but Corsair is no more
expensive and offers better quality, better timings, and each and every
stick is tested, and if you buy matched sets, they truly are matched sets
and are tested as a set. It is also cooler RAM, and in my experience one
can expect a difference of 1 to 3 degree Celsius against Crucial. I would
not hesitate to use Crucial, but if given a choice, I would always choose
Corsair above any other.

Bobby

Those incapable of making an intelligent comment, often resort to insults as
their only response.
You apparently failed to read my entire post assuming you read any of it.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Keith" <kman22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> DellBot Alert!!!!
> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> People will pay, for the support if nothing else.
>> This is similar to other OEMs.
>> It makes sense since people will pay the higher price.
>> After all among other things, Dell and the others are in it to make
>> money.
>> If you were a stockholder of Dell, you would want dell to offer that
>> service...at a price.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100.
>>>The base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds
>>>an incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to
>>>the Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It
>>>makes no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the
>>>retail product. What gives?

And yet you feel the need to repeat yourself after soying nothing!

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Keith" <kman22@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> DellBot Alert!!!!
> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> People will pay, for the support if nothing else.
>> This is similar to other OEMs.
>> It makes sense since people will pay the higher price.
>> After all among other things, Dell and the others are in it to make
>> money.
>> If you were a stockholder of Dell, you would want dell to offer that
>> service...at a price.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Talkin Horse" <davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100.
>>>The base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds
>>>an incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to
>>>the Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It
>>>makes no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the
>>>retail product. What gives?

Nick;
"Any half-savvy"
And what % of first time PC buyers are included in that?

There are some that prefer the one stop shopping and get it all from the OEM
even though some know it may be more expensive.

You call it "Corporate greed"
Who is greedy?
Besides the corporate level there are a larger number of stockholders
demanding profit.
The stockholders come from just about all parts of society both nationally
and internationally.
This high priced memory is another choice buyers have.
The buyer can choose to buy it or not.
They can also choose to buy it from another source.
But even fully informed people, and there are many, will choose to buy from
the OEM at a higher price because if there are problems, there is only one
phone call.

The OEMs do not need to charge a higher cost for upgrades/accessories, but
they all do, just as theatres charge a high price for concessions.
The buyers are there and the buyers want the product.

--

"Nick Cleevely" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:_0fte.38033>
hmmm, and Crucial offer a lifetime warranty.

> What "support" can *any* OEM give where memory problems are suspected?
>
> Any half-savvy pc user will have already run Memtest86 or similar and will
> know there's a memory problem surely?
>
> "Corporate greed" is the phrase you're looking for I think.

What you see is a prime example of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) that has
plagued the computer industry forever. Buying expensive memory direct from
Dell is a "safe" choice for the buyer, and adds big bucks to Dell's bottom line.
But a little knowledge is power, and you have the power of knowing that the same
stuff can be bought elsewhere for a lot less... Ben Myers

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:49:48 GMT, "Talkin Horse"
<davidrolfeN0SP&AM@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I was just checking the price of memory for a new Dell Dimension 9100. The
>base configuration has 512 MB; to configure with 4 GB (the max) adds an
>incremental price of $1099 for a home system. This is in contast to the
>Crucial price of $126 per GB stick, or a total of ~$500 for 4 GB. It makes
>no sense that the Dell charge is that far out of line with the retail
>product. What gives?

You been looking at the headers Tom?
--
Steve Williams