a friend gave me an old computer with windows 95 on it, i pluged it in and
turned it on, i get an error message that say disk boot error insert system
disk and hit enter,
i got all the disk's with it, i tryed putting them in one at a time, hit
enter, still get the message, wont boot up, any idea's on what is probably
wrong? id like to get it working. want to use it, thanks
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

Make sure the diskette drive does not have a leftover diskette in it. (may be a plain data diskette).

What disks do you have? Hopefully a Win 95 CD and also a good DOS boot diskette.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

matchstich wrote:
> a friend gave me an old computer with windows 95 on it, i pluged it
> in and turned it on, i get an error message that say disk boot
> error insert system disk and hit enter,
> i got all the disk's with it, i tryed putting them in one at a time,
> hit enter, still get the message, wont boot up, any idea's on what is
> probably wrong? id like to get it working. want to use it, thanks

Gordon

"matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> a friend gave me an old computer with windows 95 on it, i pluged it
> in and turned it on, i get an error message that say disk boot
> error insert system disk and hit enter,
> i got all the disk's with it, i tryed putting them in one at a time,
> hit enter, still get the message, wont boot up, any idea's on what is
> probably wrong? id like to get it working. want to use it, thanks

Perhaps try a Windows *95* newsgroup, not one with *XP* in the title?

In article <5148B1BD-EEB5-4315-BA87-0604393074A2@microsoft.com>,
matchstich says...
> a friend gave me an old computer with windows 95 on it, i pluged it in and
> turned it on, i get an error message that say disk boot error insert system
> disk and hit enter,
> i got all the disk's with it, i tryed putting them in one at a time, hit
> enter, still get the message, wont boot up, any idea's on what is probably
> wrong? id like to get it working. want to use it, thanks

You need to go to www.bootdisc.com and use whats on that site to create
a Win95 boot disk.

Boot with that. At the command prompt type sys c: . Reboot PC. You
should either now have Win95 start up or end up at a command prompt.
Report back.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

"matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a friend gave me an old computer with windows 95 on it, i pluged it in and
> turned it on, i get an error message that say disk boot error insert
> system
> disk and hit enter,
> i got all the disk's with it, i tryed putting them in one at a time, hit
> enter, still get the message, wont boot up, any idea's on what is probably
> wrong? id like to get it working. want to use it, thanks
> --
> xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> vig mobo,900gz,
> computer newbie

What the error means is that it cannot find a disk to boot from. This may
indicate a problem with the hard disk. (Its worth checking that the bios
can see the disk.)

I think that Windows 95 came with a cd and boot disk - but maybe the disk is
bootable. Try that route if you want to wipe and reinstall, otherwise, go
with Conor's suggestion and download a boot disk and boot from that.

Hope this helps,

Brian

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

i have one cd called ' microsoft windows 95 how & why, starts here, the
other say microsoft windows 95 with usb support, all cd's, another that say
sp97 series mainboard support, rev 1,10, one for netscape 3.0, and one for
microsoft imternet explorer 4.o, i will check that url to see if i can find
a disk, and i wasnt aware that there was newsgroup for 95, will check into
that also, thanks yall, i'll keep yall posted on this
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

"Brian Cryer" wrote:

> "matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >a friend gave me an old computer with windows 95 on it, i pluged it in and
> > turned it on, i get an error message that say disk boot error insert
> > system
> > disk and hit enter,
> > i got all the disk's with it, i tryed putting them in one at a time, hit
> > enter, still get the message, wont boot up, any idea's on what is probably
> > wrong? id like to get it working. want to use it, thanks
> > --
> > xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> > vig mobo,900gz,
> > computer newbie
>
> What the error means is that it cannot find a disk to boot from. This may
> indicate a problem with the hard disk. (Its worth checking that the bios
> can see the disk.)
>
> I think that Windows 95 came with a cd and boot disk - but maybe the disk is
> bootable. Try that route if you want to wipe and reinstall, otherwise, go
> with Conor's suggestion and download a boot disk and boot from that.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Brian
>
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

new question, i found a mirror boot disk for windows 95, cept the download is
a exe file, how do i get that on a bootdisk without opening it on my
computer. thanks. the download window came up, and the only option was save
to disk, im not sure i want to open it. will it do any damage to my computer
if i do open it? im still learning about computers, not too good at it all as
yet, thanks
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

> new question, i found a mirror boot disk for windows 95, cept the download
> is
> a exe file, how do i get that on a bootdisk without opening it on my
> computer. thanks. the download window came up, and the only option was
> save
> to disk, im not sure i want to open it. will it do any damage to my
> computer
> if i do open it? im still learning about computers, not too good at it all
> as
> yet, thanks
> --
> xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> vig mobo,900gz,
> computer newbie

As I recall from the last time I used one of the boot disks from
bootdisk.com, the do come as exe files. You will need to run this on a pc
and have a floppy available. It will then write everything to the floppy.
That's my experience with the 98 boot disks, so I assume it would be the
same for 95.

There are newsgroups for Windows 95 (eg news:micrsoft.public.win95.setup),
but I doubt that they get many visitors (or postings) these days.

Regarding the disks you have, its the "Microsoft Windows 95 with USB
support" one which you need. The motherboard cd will be useful after you
have 95 installed to get all the relevant drivers.

All the best with it,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

ok, i got the boot disk made and started the 95 machine, when it asked for
the boot disk, i put it in, and a buch of stuff came up, ending at a screen
where it listed , some things about a cd rom and such then it went to '
a:\> ' its waiting for me to enter a prompt or command, cept i dont know
what to enter, i tryed putting in run, setup, and a couple of others, but
all i got was invalid reponse, i was able to get ahold of the person i got
this system from, im bringing the machine to him over the weekend, i know it
should have xp or something else on it, cept i cant afford, and this will
give my friend a system till they can afford to upgrade, i know people now
that still use 95, and 98 with no problems, i have xp and dont use half the
ablities this machine has, i dont make movies, record music, im taking
online classes for a better job, send email, and have a spanish program on
here, thats all i do with it, and my web page for posting pictures, thanks
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

> ok, i got the boot disk made and started the 95 machine, when it asked for
> the boot disk, i put it in, and a buch of stuff came up, ending at a
> screen
> where it listed , some things about a cd rom and such then it went to '
> a:\> ' its waiting for me to enter a prompt or command, cept i dont know
> what to enter, i tryed putting in run, setup, and a couple of others,
> but
> all i got was invalid reponse, i was able to get ahold of the person i got
> this system from, im bringing the machine to him over the weekend, i know
> it
> should have xp or something else on it, cept i cant afford, and this will
> give my friend a system till they can afford to upgrade, i know people
> now
> that still use 95, and 98 with no problems, i have xp and dont use half
> the
> ablities this machine has, i dont make movies, record music, im taking
> online classes for a better job, send email, and have a spanish program
> on
> here, thats all i do with it, and my web page for posting pictures, thanks
> --
> xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> vig mobo,900gz,
> computer newbie

Good. You are closer than you might think.

Unfortunately I don't recall exactly what to do at this point ....

These are ideas and may not work - if they don't then they should fail
straight away, if they do work then they'll just trundle on and on ...

1. Put the 95 cd in, you should be able to read it from the command prompt
(dir D:). If there is an application called setup then try running it
(D:\setup).

2. I think there is a folder called I386 on the cd. Its possible that the
setup program may reside in that. Try D:\i386\setup.

3. I recall having problems after a reboot that must have happened during
the install that it couldn't then read the cd. If one of the above works but
this happens too you then create a folder on your cd drive called i386 and
copy the i386 folder across and then run the setup from in there.

Just to confirm, you can read the c drive?

Hope this helps,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

thanks i will try what you said, i went to setup and its list's the hhd, so i
guess it can read it or find it
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

"Brian Cryer" wrote:

> "matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok, i got the boot disk made and started the 95 machine, when it asked for
> > the boot disk, i put it in, and a buch of stuff came up, ending at a
> > screen
> > where it listed , some things about a cd rom and such then it went to '
> > a:\> ' its waiting for me to enter a prompt or command, cept i dont know
> > what to enter, i tryed putting in run, setup, and a couple of others,
> > but
> > all i got was invalid reponse, i was able to get ahold of the person i got
> > this system from, im bringing the machine to him over the weekend, i know
> > it
> > should have xp or something else on it, cept i cant afford, and this will
> > give my friend a system till they can afford to upgrade, i know people
> > now
> > that still use 95, and 98 with no problems, i have xp and dont use half
> > the
> > ablities this machine has, i dont make movies, record music, im taking
> > online classes for a better job, send email, and have a spanish program
> > on
> > here, thats all i do with it, and my web page for posting pictures, thanks
> > --
> > xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> > vig mobo,900gz,
> > computer newbie
>
> Good. You are closer than you might think.
>
> Unfortunately I don't recall exactly what to do at this point ....
>
> These are ideas and may not work - if they don't then they should fail
> straight away, if they do work then they'll just trundle on and on ...
>
> 1. Put the 95 cd in, you should be able to read it from the command prompt
> (dir D:). If there is an application called setup then try running it
> (D:\setup).
>
> 2. I think there is a folder called I386 on the cd. Its possible that the
> setup program may reside in that. Try D:\i386\setup.
>
> 3. I recall having problems after a reboot that must have happened during
> the install that it couldn't then read the cd. If one of the above works but
> this happens too you then create a folder on your cd drive called i386 and
> copy the i386 folder across and then run the setup from in there.
>
> Just to confirm, you can read the c drive?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Brian.
>
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

In article <D5667F02-AC54-434C-9493-97E5845B13E3@microsoft.com>,
matchstich says...
> ok, i got the boot disk made and started the 95 machine, when it asked for
> the boot disk, i put it in, and a buch of stuff came up, ending at a screen
> where it listed , some things about a cd rom and such then it went to '
> a:\> '

SYS C:

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

ok, i put in c: got parameter missing, same with sys c:, , when i put in
dir/p i got the programs on the boot disk, but when i removed the diskette,
and tryed dir/p i got nada, thanks,
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

"Conor" wrote:

> In article <D5667F02-AC54-434C-9493-97E5845B13E3@microsoft.com>,
> matchstich says...
> > ok, i got the boot disk made and started the 95 machine, when it asked for
> > the boot disk, i put it in, and a buch of stuff came up, ending at a screen
> > where it listed , some things about a cd rom and such then it went to '
> > a:\> '
>
> SYS C:
>

> --
> Conor
>
> The child is grown, the dream is gone.
> I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

just to let yall know, i went to a friends house and got the old system to
boot up and 95 is loaded and running, now i ve got to figure how to get the
drivers loaded, thanks yall, and that book disk from bootdisk.com did the
trick
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,