visiontek gf3 ti 200 problem

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
replaced my leadtekj gf2 pro 32mb with a visiontek gf3 ti200 the other day, since then frequently after playing a variety of 3d accelerated games and attempting toshut down the screen goes black and the pilot light blinks as if in standby but the system never completes the shut down I need to do a cold boot and go through the scandisk routine and then re shutdown afterward. Disabled all dpms and power saver routines in Bios.. no help also dont use scrensavers etc. Any ideas ?? Have tried several driver versions but no help there either.. I am puzzled by this one folks a little help ??

Thanx, system specs below

asus cusl2-c
p-3 800eb @ 864
512 pc 133
oem sb 5.1
usr v.90 56k HW modem
ibm 30gb dtla hdd
wd 13 gb hdd
yamaha 16x 2100e cdrw
sony 52x cdrom
5 case fans
enermax 461 PS
win 98 se
visiontek gf3 ti 200 (stock clocks)

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Is this only after 3D gaming or is your system always having trouble shutting down? If the latter then it sounds like you have one of the two Windows 98SE shutdown problems.

One is rebooting when the system should be shutdown (fixed by the Windows 98 Shutdown Supplement).

The second is failure to shutdown. Usually one gets the "Your system maybe safely shutdown now" but not always. The fix for this problem is to run MSCONFIG, click on the <b>Advanced</b> radio button, then put a check mark next to <b>disable fast shutdown</b>.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
thanx but I have always had fast shutdown disabled since it causes reboots on this mobo

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well maybe I've got those two problems reversed. Have you tried Windows 98SE Shutdown supplement.

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

I have a visiontek geforce3 ti200. when i first installed it i had win98 set to turn the monitor off after 15 min. all the other power saving options were turned off. when it turned the monitor off the entire computer locked up and i had to reboot. now i dont turn the monitor off and just use a screensaver after an hour. dont know if that helps any.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I installed (shutdown supplement) it last night after looking at your previous post.. since the problem is intermittant I don't know if it helped or not yet .. if that dosen't do it the next step is reserving IRQ 5 for the SB card as per Crashmans suggestion

Lagger

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Well it hung on shutdown last night after using some 3d applications and cruising the net so I guess the shutdown supplement didn't cure it.. also was getting occassional errors in IE 5.5 sp1 so I have installed ie5.5 sp2 and reserved irq 5 as per Crashman's suggestion. Got my fingers crossed ( really don't want to format and reinstall OS or format and install the copy of XP pro corp. ed. I have :(

Lagger

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let us know how it works. You'd be amazed at how many systems I've fixed like that. In fact, at least half the time when I get a system that the shop can't fix, I do simple things like reserving IRQ 5 and/or setting PNP OS to NO, and it fixes them. Quite often the system files are so badly corrupted from continuous crashes that I have to do a reinstall anyway.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Well that didn't do the trick after I wrote the last note this morning I ran some 3d intensive stuff (with irq 5 reserved) and it hung again. 'tis a puzzlement really don't wanna reformat etc but starting to look grim

Lagger

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
still no progress reserving irq 5 didnt help install of det 23.10 no help relocated sb live to a different pci slot and reloaded drivers .. no help removed dx and reinstalled it no help . changed from ucwc to plain uc no progress any more ideas ?? what is weird is that the video signal stops getting to the monitor but the system hangs and I have to hard-reset it

Lagger

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Yeah I have it configured that way by default anyway

Lagger