Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My laptop shuts off when I watch video. Can't do schoolwork.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 4, 2013 7:48:35 PM

Hi I have a Dell Studio 1555
The exact computer is here http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/ServiceTag...

I'm starting new courses and everything is video based, but when I watch videos in my Dell after a few minutes the computer shuts down. Very frustrating.

It doesnt even seem that hot, so I dont know if its over heating.
Can this be fixed?
The laptop is only 3 years old was "top of the line" when I bought it lol. It was supposed to be a "Gaming" laptop, now I cant even watch basic training videos on it lol.

I have to do my coursework. Do I need to buy a new computer?
March 4, 2013 7:53:01 PM

Check to see if there dust in the heatsink. You can also use utilities, like speedfan, to check temperatures.
Score

Best solution

March 4, 2013 9:06:51 PM

marc100 said:
Hi I have a Dell Studio 1555
The exact computer is here http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/ServiceTag...

I'm starting new courses and everything is video based, but when I watch videos in my Dell after a few minutes the computer shuts down. Very frustrating.

It doesnt even seem that hot, so I dont know if its over heating.
Can this be fixed?
The laptop is only 3 years old was "top of the line" when I bought it lol. It was supposed to be a "Gaming" laptop, now I cant even watch basic training videos on it lol.

I have to do my coursework. Do I need to buy a new computer?

If your video is based using Flash Player try disabling hardware accelaeration within the flash player itself...had a real similar issue watching streaming videos on hulu....dis-abled hardware acceleration and problem diasppered. Also could be defective ram or any number of things.
Related resources
March 5, 2013 6:33:41 AM

Best answer selected by marc100.
Score
March 5, 2013 6:36:01 AM

Dashman9000 said:
If your video is based using Flash Player try disabling hardware accelaeration within the flash player itself...had a real similar issue watching streaming videos on hulu....dis-abled hardware acceleration and problem diasppered.

This fixed it for me! Wow Ive had this problem for years now, and it was now becoming a serious issue with school work, and thanks to your solution its fixed.
Im watching flash videos at full screen now and its no issue, my computer isnt running hot like it used to.
Thank you so much.
Score
a c 244 D Laptop
March 5, 2013 4:16:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!