Having trouble running some programs

For some reason, my system is refusing to start certain .exe files. One is an
installation file from Hewlett Packard, for my scanner, the other I just
noticed today and is a beading pattern maker that worked perfectly fine a
month ago. I have whatever updates were available from Microsoft as of about
three weeks ago. I've tried running the files through the Run command on the
start menu, but that doesn't work either.

You probably updated to SP2, and redownloaded a copy of the file. These are 'blocked' in Properties, by default, if they are exe
type file.

Rightclick the file icon, Properties, and see the "Unblock" button.

--
Mark L. Ferguson