Sign in with
Your question

Should i spend $10 extra and buy the retail version of windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
July 21, 2010 12:40:04 AM

hello,
i was wondering if i should buy windows 7 oem for $99.99 or spend the extra $10 and buy the retail version for $109.99.

Some extra info about me
This is my first time building a computer and my dad will be helping me but he only knows so much about computers

Thanks to everyone who posts a response
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2010 1:07:31 AM

I would check that price of $109.99 for the retail version, I think you may find that is the Upgrade price not the full version. Expect to pay about $179.99 for the full retail pack.
When buying the OEM version you need to specify 32 or 64 bit as only one or the other is supplied. It can only be used on the original pc that it was installed on and no support from Microsoft.
The full retail version (boxed) has both 32 and 64 bit disks and can be transfered to another pc after removal from the first one, and is supported by Microsoft.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2010 2:27:35 AM

Jonmor68, good info. I wasn't aware of the transfer part on the retail version.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2010 2:54:15 AM

Buy the retail version. Even if you do never plan on transferring to another PC, the OEM license can still be a pain in the rear if you ever upgrade the processor or motherboard. IMHO, the OEM version is just not worth the savings it the long run.
Microsoft support, bah that part of it really means nothing. How many times have you ever called Microsoft support?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2010 3:02:21 AM

jitpublisher said:
Buy the retail version. Even if you do never plan on transferring to another PC, the OEM license can still be a pain in the rear if you ever upgrade the processor or motherboard. IMHO, the OEM version is just not worth the savings it the long run.
Microsoft support, bah that part of it really means nothing. How many times have you ever called Microsoft support?

I have the OEM version of Win 7 64-bit. Everything worked fine, including 1 instance of re-install.

Then I decided to upgrade my motherboard under EVGA's 'Step-up' program. After changing the motherboard and re-installing Win 7, I could not activate Win 7 online. Instead, I had to place a telephone call to Microsoft and then they activated my OS.

A PITA, but not terribly bad!
m
l
!