Programs slow to respond

When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.

I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
--
Ta
Nelso

    You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
    bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
    www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
    sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
    yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
    have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
    everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
    windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
    but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
    unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
    speed.

    "nelso66" wrote:

    > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
    > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
    > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
    >
    > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
    > --
    > Ta
    > Nelso

    In article <59E1C551-BA9A-4A6D-B859-65B53CC77B80@microsoft.com>,
    nelso66 says...
    > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
    > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
    > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
    >
    > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.

    Defragged the Hard Drive lately?

    --
    Conor

    The child is grown, the dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

    The machine is regularly defraged
    --
    Ta
    Nelso

    "Conor" wrote:

    > In article <59E1C551-BA9A-4A6D-B859-65B53CC77B80@microsoft.com>,
    > nelso66 says...
    > > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
    > > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
    > > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
    > >
    > > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
    > >
    > Defragged the Hard Drive lately?
    >

    > --
    > Conor
    >
    > The child is grown, the dream is gone.
    > I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

    Have been running adware plus microsoft spyware tools for sometime and
    regulalrly scan my system
    --
    Ta
    Nelso

    "Silentradar" wrote:

    > You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
    > bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
    > www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
    > sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
    > yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
    > have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
    > everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
    > windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
    > but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
    > unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
    > speed.
    >
    > "nelso66" wrote:
    >
    > > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
    > > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
    > > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
    > >
    > > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
    > > --
    > > Ta
    > > Nelso

    Adaware is ok but I'd recommend SpybotS&D to scan for spyware, latest
    version is 1.4 i believe. Also SpywareBlaster is great for immunising your
    system so spyware doesn't get in (these are free or donationware). Since you
    didn't mention the other options I offered I assume these either didn't work
    or you don't want to try them. Try running msconfig and disabling all
    services, click on the Hide Windows Services to show them. Unclick everything
    and see if that makes a difference. Then one by one (or two by two if u
    prefer) bring them back in till either you have all the services you need or
    the problem recurs.

    "nelso66" wrote:

    > Have been running adware plus microsoft spyware tools for sometime and
    > regulalrly scan my system
    > --
    > Ta
    > Nelso
    >

    > "Silentradar" wrote:
    >
    > > You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
    > > bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
    > > www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
    > > sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
    > > yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
    > > have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
    > > everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
    > > windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
    > > but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
    > > unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
    > > speed.
    > >
    > > "nelso66" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
    > > > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
    > > > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
    > > >
    > > > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
    > > > --
    > > > Ta
    > > > Nelso

    ok thnaks for the advise I'll give it ago i also use sybot s&D
    --
    Ta
    Nelso

    "Silentradar" wrote:

    > Adaware is ok but I'd recommend SpybotS&D to scan for spyware, latest
    > version is 1.4 i believe. Also SpywareBlaster is great for immunising your
    > system so spyware doesn't get in (these are free or donationware). Since you
    > didn't mention the other options I offered I assume these either didn't work
    > or you don't want to try them. Try running msconfig and disabling all
    > services, click on the Hide Windows Services to show them. Unclick everything
    > and see if that makes a difference. Then one by one (or two by two if u
    > prefer) bring them back in till either you have all the services you need or
    > the problem recurs.
    >
    > "nelso66" wrote:
    >
    > > Have been running adware plus microsoft spyware tools for sometime and
    > > regulalrly scan my system
    > > --
    > > Ta
    > > Nelso
    > >

    > > "Silentradar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
    > > > bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
    > > > www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
    > > > sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
    > > > yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
    > > > have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
    > > > everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
    > > > windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
    > > > but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
    > > > unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
    > > > speed.

Microsoft Windows XP