When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.

I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
--
Ta
Nelso

You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
speed.

"nelso66" wrote:

> When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
> seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
> fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
>
> I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
> --
> Ta
> Nelso

In article <59E1C551-BA9A-4A6D-B859-65B53CC77B80@microsoft.com>,
nelso66 says...
> When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
> seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
> fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
>
> I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.

Defragged the Hard Drive lately?

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

The machine is regularly defraged
--
Ta
Nelso

"Conor" wrote:

> In article <59E1C551-BA9A-4A6D-B859-65B53CC77B80@microsoft.com>,
> nelso66 says...
> > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
> > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
> > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
> >
> > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
> >
> Defragged the Hard Drive lately?
>

> --
> Conor
>
> The child is grown, the dream is gone.
> I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

Have been running adware plus microsoft spyware tools for sometime and
regulalrly scan my system
--
Ta
Nelso

"Silentradar" wrote:

> You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
> bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
> www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
> sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
> yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
> have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
> everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
> windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
> but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
> unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
> speed.
>
> "nelso66" wrote:
>
> > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
> > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
> > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
> >
> > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
> > --
> > Ta
> > Nelso

Adaware is ok but I'd recommend SpybotS&D to scan for spyware, latest
version is 1.4 i believe. Also SpywareBlaster is great for immunising your
system so spyware doesn't get in (these are free or donationware). Since you
didn't mention the other options I offered I assume these either didn't work
or you don't want to try them. Try running msconfig and disabling all
services, click on the Hide Windows Services to show them. Unclick everything
and see if that makes a difference. Then one by one (or two by two if u
prefer) bring them back in till either you have all the services you need or
the problem recurs.

"nelso66" wrote:

> Have been running adware plus microsoft spyware tools for sometime and
> regulalrly scan my system
> --
> Ta
> Nelso
>

> "Silentradar" wrote:
>
> > You may have picked up a load of spyware. This will slow your machine quite a
> > bit. If you don't have spyware protection make a visit to
> > www.MySpywareCleaner.com and download and run their spyware detector. It's
> > sure to find some, whether you want to pay money to have it removed or do it
> > yourself manually (need familiarity with regedit)is up to you. Also if you
> > have a lot of programs installed that will slow Winslow down too. Uninstall
> > everything you don't use regularly. Also do a Google search for 'unneeded
> > windows services', follow the advice to disable services you don't need. Last
> > but not least, with 512M of RAM you don't need a paging file (except in some
> > unusual circumstance). Disable Virtual memory and watch your booter pick up
> > speed.
> >
> > "nelso66" wrote:
> >
> > > When I open programs they are slow to respond. I click on the icon but it
> > > seems to take for ever to open up but I don't know why.They use to open up
> > > fairly quickly before and nothing has changed.
> > >
> > > I'm running XP Home, 1.6gig processor, 512 ram.
> > > --
> > > Ta
> > > Nelso

ok thnaks for the advise I'll give it ago i also use sybot s&D
--
Ta
Nelso