Can't Delete Certain Files

August 23, 2005 12:24:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In the course of tracking down a problem loading certain webpages, I wanted
to completely delete my Temporary Internet Files Folder. This has proven
problematic.

System: Gateway 700XL, 2.2 GHz Pent. 4, 1 gb RAM, XP Home/SP2 with all
Critical Updates Installed
System well-maintained with NAV2005, ZoneAlarm, regular running of SpyBot
S&D and AdAwareSE

There is only one User (Don) on my computer. Deleting TIF Folder is
therefore not possible while this User is active.

I created a new User with Admin. privileges (NewAdmin). Logged off 'Don'
and logged into 'NewAdmin.' Opened up Windows Explorer, navigated to the
TIF Folder under 'Don' and found the expected Content.IE5 with subfolders,
etc. Even after deleting TIF the usual way prior to this, index.dat is
found to be about 16 mb, which doesn't sound right, and implying corruption
of some type.

I attempted to delete the entire TIF Folder, but received the following
error message:

"Cannot delete reserve[1].: cannot find the specified file"

Looking in the subfolders of Content.IE5, there are the expected 4
subfolders, with the 8-character names, each of which contained a single 0
kb file, each with a different name. reserve[1] is in the first folder.
Checking their attributes, they are neither hidden nor read-only.
Attempting to delete these files directly produces the error message:

"Cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk"

In an attempt to get rid of these files/folders, I booted into Safe Mode,
using 'NewAdmin' and tried again - same exact result.

I next booted into the Windows Recovery Console, and ran CHKDSK /R. This
completed successfully, with the summary indicating that one or more errors
had been fixed. I tried to navigate to the appropriate folder and delete
those files from there, but permission to access them was denied.

I rebooted into Safe Mode, using 'NewAdmin', tried again, but same result
once more.

So:

1. How do I get rid of these miscreant files, which will then allow me to
delete the TIF folder, and get rid of presumed corruption?

2. If this is not possible, will simply moving the TIF folder to a new
location accomplish the same thing?

3. Would deleting index.dat (if this is possible - haven't tried it yet)
facilitate solving the problem, or end up creating another problem?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

--
Don
Photo Website at:

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]

More about : delete files

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm only going to deal with the Permissions aspect of this - the rest seems
to be a bit out of my league.

You have to enable access to the files and take ownership of them. You must
be using an account with Administrator privileges for this step:

"To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take
ownership of the folder:
1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing
(Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one
appears.
4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged
in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to
select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the
folder that you want to take ownership of:
want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full
Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
7. Click Yes.
8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you
want for the folder and the folder contents."

The above steps will give you the ability to view and manipulate the files
in the old user profiles.

For additional information, click the following article number to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313055 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/) OLEXP: Mail Folders,
Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft
Windows XP

- The steps are outlined in these Knowledge Base articles:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:

- Finally, it's been my experience that taking ownership of files can be a
bit "flakey" at times, and you may even have to individually grant the
permissions to each sub-folder.

"Don Cohen" wrote:

> In the course of tracking down a problem loading certain webpages, I wanted
> to completely delete my Temporary Internet Files Folder. This has proven
> problematic.
>
> System: Gateway 700XL, 2.2 GHz Pent. 4, 1 gb RAM, XP Home/SP2 with all
> Critical Updates Installed
> System well-maintained with NAV2005, ZoneAlarm, regular running of SpyBot
> S&D and AdAwareSE
>
> There is only one User (Don) on my computer. Deleting TIF Folder is
> therefore not possible while this User is active.
>
> I created a new User with Admin. privileges (NewAdmin). Logged off 'Don'
> and logged into 'NewAdmin.' Opened up Windows Explorer, navigated to the
> TIF Folder under 'Don' and found the expected Content.IE5 with subfolders,
> etc. Even after deleting TIF the usual way prior to this, index.dat is
> found to be about 16 mb, which doesn't sound right, and implying corruption
> of some type.
>
> I attempted to delete the entire TIF Folder, but received the following
> error message:
>
> "Cannot delete reserve[1].: cannot find the specified file"
>
> Looking in the subfolders of Content.IE5, there are the expected 4
> subfolders, with the 8-character names, each of which contained a single 0
> kb file, each with a different name. reserve[1] is in the first folder.
> Checking their attributes, they are neither hidden nor read-only.
> Attempting to delete these files directly produces the error message:
>
> "Cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk"
>
> In an attempt to get rid of these files/folders, I booted into Safe Mode,
> using 'NewAdmin' and tried again - same exact result.
>
> I next booted into the Windows Recovery Console, and ran CHKDSK /R. This
> completed successfully, with the summary indicating that one or more errors
> had been fixed. I tried to navigate to the appropriate folder and delete
> those files from there, but permission to access them was denied.
>
> I rebooted into Safe Mode, using 'NewAdmin', tried again, but same result
> once more.
>

> So:
>
> 1. How do I get rid of these miscreant files, which will then allow me to
> delete the TIF folder, and get rid of presumed corruption?
>
> 2. If this is not possible, will simply moving the TIF folder to a new
> location accomplish the same thing?
>
> 3. Would deleting index.dat (if this is possible - haven't tried it yet)
> facilitate solving the problem, or end up creating another problem?
>

> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Don
> Photo Website at:
> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>
> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work then
try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

"Don Cohen" <doncohen@lens-cap.alltel.net> wrote in message
> In the course of tracking down a problem loading certain webpages, I
> wanted to completely delete my Temporary Internet Files Folder. This has
> proven problematic.
>
> System: Gateway 700XL, 2.2 GHz Pent. 4, 1 gb RAM, XP Home/SP2 with all
> Critical Updates Installed
> System well-maintained with NAV2005, ZoneAlarm, regular running of SpyBot
> S&D and AdAwareSE
>
> There is only one User (Don) on my computer. Deleting TIF Folder is
> therefore not possible while this User is active.
>
> I created a new User with Admin. privileges (NewAdmin). Logged off 'Don'
> and logged into 'NewAdmin.' Opened up Windows Explorer, navigated to the
> TIF Folder under 'Don' and found the expected Content.IE5 with subfolders,
> etc. Even after deleting TIF the usual way prior to this, index.dat is
> found to be about 16 mb, which doesn't sound right, and implying
> corruption of some type.
>
> I attempted to delete the entire TIF Folder, but received the following
> error message:
>
> "Cannot delete reserve[1].: cannot find the specified file"
>
> Looking in the subfolders of Content.IE5, there are the expected 4
> subfolders, with the 8-character names, each of which contained a single 0
> kb file, each with a different name. reserve[1] is in the first folder.
> Checking their attributes, they are neither hidden nor read-only.
> Attempting to delete these files directly produces the error message:
>
> "Cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk"
>
> In an attempt to get rid of these files/folders, I booted into Safe Mode,
> using 'NewAdmin' and tried again - same exact result.
>
> I next booted into the Windows Recovery Console, and ran CHKDSK /R. This
> completed successfully, with the summary indicating that one or more
> errors had been fixed. I tried to navigate to the appropriate folder and
> delete those files from there, but permission to access them was denied.
>
> I rebooted into Safe Mode, using 'NewAdmin', tried again, but same result
> once more.
>

> So:
>
> 1. How do I get rid of these miscreant files, which will then allow me to
> delete the TIF folder, and get rid of presumed corruption?
>
> 2. If this is not possible, will simply moving the TIF folder to a new
> location accomplish the same thing?
>
> 3. Would deleting index.dat (if this is possible - haven't tried it yet)
> facilitate solving the problem, or end up creating another problem?
>

> Any advice greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Don
> Photo Website at:
> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>
> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]

August 23, 2005 9:10:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Appreciate the reply.

> I'm only going to deal with the Permissions aspect of this - the rest
> seems
> to be a bit out of my league.
>
> You have to enable access to the files and take ownership of them. You
> must
> be using an account with Administrator privileges for this step:
> snip <

With XP Home, I have to boot in to Safe Mode to access these functions.
I'll need to wait until I have a bit more time, probably tomorrow afternoon,
to see if this gets me anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestion and links.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
> click
> the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked
> then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or
> folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work
> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

Appreciate the reply and links. I'm going to give the suggestions by
'usama' a try first, and see if that gets me anywhere.

But I'd need to know a little bit more about the programs you suggest before
installing them on my system. I'm not saying there's anything whatsoever
wrong with them, but I make it a practice not to install things I know very
little about.

I'll get back to you if I need to go this route.

Thanks again.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:47:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A comment on a part of your message that hasn't been addressed;

In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser Don Cohen <doncohen@lens-cap.alltel.net> wrote:
> I created a new User with Admin. privileges (NewAdmin). Logged off 'Don'
> and logged into 'NewAdmin.' Opened up Windows Explorer, navigated to the
> TIF Folder under 'Don' and found the expected Content.IE5 with subfolders,
> etc. Even after deleting TIF the usual way prior to this, index.dat is
> found to be about 16 mb, which doesn't sound right, and implying corruption
> of some type.

Normally deleting temporary files from within IE will delete everything in
Content.IE5 except desktop.ini and index.dat *if* you check the "Delete
all offline content" box. Index.dat is never deleted, and it just keeos
getting larger over time. That doesn't imply corruption, just sloppy
software design. A newly created index.dat is 32 KB if I recall
correctly. If it weren't for the permissions problem you seem to have
with that stubborn file, logging on as a different user with appropriate
privileges should enable you to delete the entire Content.IE5 folder.
That's how I usually clean up my various logons.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Gary,

> Normally deleting temporary files from within IE will delete everything in
> Content.IE5 except desktop.ini and index.dat *if* you check the "Delete
> all offline content" box. Index.dat is never deleted, and it just keeos
> getting larger over time. That doesn't imply corruption, just sloppy
> software design. A newly created index.dat is 32 KB if I recall
> correctly. If it weren't for the permissions problem you seem to have
> with that stubborn file, logging on as a different user with appropriate
> privileges should enable you to delete the entire Content.IE5 folder.
> That's how I usually clean up my various logons.

Appreciate the added info.

With reference to the problem files, it seems to be two-fold:

1. The permission aspect prevents me from getting to them within Recovery
Console, where I might be able to delete them. Hopefully I can explore this
more tomorrow afternoon by making the changes suggested in the other posts.

2. The error messages about the files not being found imply, I think, some
type of corruption in the file system. I mean, it shows them being there,
but is unable to delete them. It seems that this is different from it not
giving me permission to do it, although I could be wrong. You'd think that
CHKDSK in the Recovery Console would detect and fix this, if this in fact is
the problem, but apparently not.

Any clue on the origin of these files, and the difficulty in getting rid of
them?

Thanks.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:22:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You pay too much attention to the trolls. The information about each program
is included in the download including direct links to the program author.

>> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
>> click
>> the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked
>> then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or
>> folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
>> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work
>> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip
>
> Appreciate the reply and links. I'm going to give the suggestions by
> 'usama' a try first, and see if that gets me anywhere.
>
> But I'd need to know a little bit more about the programs you suggest
> before installing them on my system. I'm not saying there's anything
> whatsoever wrong with them, but I make it a practice not to install things
> I know very little about.
>
> I'll get back to you if I need to go this route.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> --
> Don
> Photo Website at:
> http://www.dlcphotography.net
>
> [Remove the "lens cap" for email]

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:39:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> I'm only going to deal with the Permissions aspect of this - the rest
> seems
> to be a bit out of my league.
>
> You have to enable access to the files and take ownership of them. You
> must
> be using an account with Administrator privileges for this step:
>
> "To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then
> take
> ownership of the folder:
> 1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
> a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
> b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
> c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing
> (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
> 2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then
> click
> Properties.
> 3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if
> one
> appears.
> 4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
> 5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged
> in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.
>
> If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to
> select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
> 6. Click OK.
>
> You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of
> the
> folder that you want to take ownership of:
> you
> want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you
> Full
> Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
> 7. Click Yes.
> 8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that
> you
> want for the folder and the folder contents."
>
> The above steps will give you the ability to view and manipulate the files
> in the old user profiles.

OK, let me summarize my attempt to implement this:

1. Booted into Safe Mode, using default Administrator Logon.
2. Under Tools...Folder Options... there is no Advanced Tab that will
give me the option to disable Simple File Sharing. I couldn't find this
anywhere else, either.
3. I went to the folder under Content.IE5 that contains one of the files
that defies my attempt to delete, clicked on its Properties, and found a
Security Tab. Went to Advanced...Owner...and changed ownership of this
Folder to Administrator (the prior ownership was my usual Logon - 'Don'.
4. I then attempted to delete the problem file, but received the same
"cannot find the specified file" error message
5. I then booted once again into Recovery Console, but was denied access to
any folder.

Many folders, including the TIF Folder itself, does not have a Security tab
to check, so changing ownership there is not possible.

So:

1. How do I get rid of these pesky folders, which prevents me from deleting
the TIF folder?
2. How would I change back Ownership of that particular folder to 'Don' -
it is not listed as one of the choices when I go to the Ownership tab - the
only choices there are 'Administrator' and 'Administrators'
3. Would trying to move the TIF Folder to a new location accomplish
anything, in terms of getting a 'clean' uncorrupted TIF folder?
4. Would deleting 'index.dat' accomplish anything, or would this make
things worse?

Any insight appreciated here.

--
Don
Photo Website at:
http://www.dlcphotography.net

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:48:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I gave you your answer on how to delete it. It's up to you. You can continue
to try what the "Trusted" MVP's say which as you see does not work or you
simply use the programs from a so called "untrusted" source, which by the
way is only untrusted by the MVP's. It takes less then 2 minutes.

> [...]
> "cannot find the specified file" error message
> 5. I then booted once again into Recovery Console, but was denied access
> to any folder.
>
> Many folders, including the TIF Folder itself, does not have a Security
> tab to check, so changing ownership there is not possible.
>
> So:
>
> 1. How do I get rid of these pesky folders, which prevents me from
> deleting the TIF folder?
> 2. How would I change back Ownership of that particular folder to 'Don' -
> it is not listed as one of the choices when I go to the Ownership tab -
> the only choices there are 'Administrator' and 'Administrators'
> 3. Would trying to move the TIF Folder to a new location accomplish
> anything, in terms of getting a 'clean' uncorrupted TIF folder?
> 4. Would deleting 'index.dat' accomplish anything, or would this make

August 25, 2005 5:42:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well, I finally found the answer, from a reply to a similar post in another
group. Here's the link:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

Just logged into a different administrative level User, followed the simple
directions here, and was able to delete the unwanted files. In my case I
had to modify it a little:

The name of the file I wanted to delete was "reserve[1]." Using this name,
I received the file not found message. But I just used del res* instead,
and it was deleted. Once this was done, for each of the 4 problem files, I
was able to delete the TIF folder, which was then recreated when I logged
back into my usual Username. Index.dat was not 32 kb, not 16 mb.

No need to install any other programs, change permissions, etc. Very
elegant.

--

!