New Router install,, Lost https & eBay??

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 29, 2004 11:16:05 PM

Hi

A round on my plastic, Shirley

My system(s) Dell 2.4GHz desk(xp home) & TP 600E, 366MHz (xp pro), Bellsouth DSL Xtreme, with fix
IP, current versions of Norton Internet Security & Anti-V.

I purchased a NetGear WGR614, v4 kit w/included WG511,, Install was simple enough, left most options
at default,

Basic settings:
get dynamic ip & domain name from ips, use default MAC address

wireless settings
named ssid, enabled wireless, allow broadcast of ssid, set up card in access list, use open system
128bit wep, set security key in laptop

WAN setup
connect auto

LAN ip setup
has address & ip subnet, rip none, use router as DHCP server

Both machine receive and send mail and surf,,, BUT..

When I try to open the HTTPS eBay site for sign-in,, I get address not found

I think it has something top do with the router firewall and the Norton firewall??? OR the fact that
I have a fixed address??

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2004 1:19:54 AM

Ok,, I think it's port 443, but I can't find the right combo to out it..

I tried Port Triggering SSL on 443, both incoming & outgoing,,both enabled & disabled no luck..

As I have Norton firewall,,, could I turn the firewall off on the router??

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 30, 2004 5:51:38 AM

I have a 2 router configuration (D-Link DI-524 and Speedstream 5861) and I
had to lower my WiFi's MTU down a little so I could access secure sites.
Not sure if I did it the correct way but it seems to work for me! <g>
Just passing on my method!
later,
dave

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> A round on my plastic, Shirley
>
> My system(s) Dell 2.4GHz desk(xp home) & TP 600E, 366MHz (xp pro),
Bellsouth DSL Xtreme, with fix
> IP, current versions of Norton Internet Security & Anti-V.
>
> I purchased a NetGear WGR614, v4 kit w/included WG511,, Install was simple
enough, left most options
> at default,
>
> Basic settings:
> get dynamic ip & domain name from ips, use default MAC address
>
> wireless settings
> named ssid, enabled wireless, allow broadcast of ssid, set up card in
access list, use open system
> 128bit wep, set security key in laptop
>
> WAN setup
> connect auto
>
> LAN ip setup
> has address & ip subnet, rip none, use router as DHCP server
>
> Both machine receive and send mail and surf,,, BUT..
>
> When I try to open the HTTPS eBay site for sign-in,, I get address not
found

> I think it has something top do with the router firewall and the Norton
firewall??? OR the fact that
> I have a fixed address??
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

a b F Wireless
May 30, 2004 12:08:06 PM

Fixed it,,, loaded latest firmware(v.4.04) and set MTU to 1492,, works fine now..
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2004 2:57:41 AM

So you did have to lower the MTU also like me???

> Fixed it,,, loaded latest firmware(v.4.04) and set MTU to 1492,, works
fine now..

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2004 2:28:15 PM