Lose display on notebook when I undock or reboot

When I undock my Dell notebook, I lose my display. If I turn it off and
reboot it, the Windows screen show up, but then it goes black, so I am unable
to use it.

I checked the power management, as best I could, and all the settings look
correct.

Do you have any idea how I can fix it? If the Windows screen didn't come
up, I would think there's a loose wire or it needs repair. But this really
seems like just a setting.
5 answers Last reply
More about lose display notebook undock reboot

    Try the screen toggle. It should be one of the Function keys (usually Fn + F4
    or Fn + F5 but I'm not sure about Dell). It should be indicated by a picture
    of 2 screens side by side on the bottom of the key. Most laptops will switch
    between the LCD and external monitor with this key. It appears that your
    laptop is not switching back to the LCD when undocking. You should probably
    check the Dell website for updated drivers for the docking station to ensure
    the laptop is able to correctly switch from Docked to Undocked.

    Also when you undock, are you just unplugging it or do you first chose
    "undock" from the start menu? --
    Thanks...
    Ray Beckwith
    Network Administrator
    Calfornia Credit Union League

    "Lluvia" wrote:

    > When I undock my Dell notebook, I lose my display. If I turn it off and
    > reboot it, the Windows screen show up, but then it goes black, so I am unable
    > to use it.
    >
    > I checked the power management, as best I could, and all the settings look
    > correct.
    >
    > Do you have any idea how I can fix it? If the Windows screen didn't come
    > up, I would think there's a loose wire or it needs repair. But this really
    > seems like just a setting.

    Hi, Ray!
    Unfortunately, I already tried the toggle (Fn+F8) to no avail. My notebook
    says "LCD/CRT." I assume that's the correct one. And, yes, I always just
    "undock" under the start button.

    I am not computer literate enough to find new drivers, although it has
    always worked in the past. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook, Pentium 4,
    Win XP Home edition, with a Dell docking station.

    Any other ideas??
    Thanks so much for your time!
    Raine

    "RayBccul--" wrote:

    > Try the screen toggle. It should be one of the Function keys (usually Fn + F4
    > or Fn + F5 but I'm not sure about Dell). It should be indicated by a picture
    > of 2 screens side by side on the bottom of the key. Most laptops will switch
    > between the LCD and external monitor with this key. It appears that your
    > laptop is not switching back to the LCD when undocking. You should probably
    > check the Dell website for updated drivers for the docking station to ensure
    > the laptop is able to correctly switch from Docked to Undocked.
    >

    > Also when you undock, are you just unplugging it or do you first chose
    > "undock" from the start menu? --
    > Thanks...
    > Ray Beckwith
    > Network Administrator
    > Calfornia Credit Union League
    >

    > "Lluvia" wrote:
    >
    > > When I undock my Dell notebook, I lose my display. If I turn it off and
    > > reboot it, the Windows screen show up, but then it goes black, so I am unable
    > > to use it.
    > >
    > > I checked the power management, as best I could, and all the settings look
    > > correct.
    > >
    > > Do you have any idea how I can fix it? If the Windows screen didn't come
    > > up, I would think there's a loose wire or it needs repair. But this really
    > > seems like just a setting.

    Based on what you've said to this point, sounds like an issue with the system
    its self. Either a problem with the hardware or a configuration setting.
    Either way, your best bet is probably to contact Dell support.
    --

    "Lluvia" wrote:

    > Hi, Ray!
    > Unfortunately, I already tried the toggle (Fn+F8) to no avail. My notebook
    > says "LCD/CRT." I assume that's the correct one. And, yes, I always just
    > "undock" under the start button.
    >
    > I am not computer literate enough to find new drivers, although it has
    > always worked in the past. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook, Pentium 4,
    > Win XP Home edition, with a Dell docking station.
    >
    > Any other ideas??
    > Thanks so much for your time!
    > Raine
    >

    > "RayBccul--" wrote:
    >
    > > Try the screen toggle. It should be one of the Function keys (usually Fn + F4
    > > or Fn + F5 but I'm not sure about Dell). It should be indicated by a picture
    > > of 2 screens side by side on the bottom of the key. Most laptops will switch
    > > between the LCD and external monitor with this key. It appears that your
    > > laptop is not switching back to the LCD when undocking. You should probably
    > > check the Dell website for updated drivers for the docking station to ensure
    > > the laptop is able to correctly switch from Docked to Undocked.
    > >

    > > Also when you undock, are you just unplugging it or do you first chose
    > > "undock" from the start menu? --
    > > Thanks...
    > > Ray Beckwith
    > > Network Administrator
    > > Calfornia Credit Union League
    > >

    > > "Lluvia" wrote:
    > >
    > > > When I undock my Dell notebook, I lose my display. If I turn it off and
    > > > reboot it, the Windows screen show up, but then it goes black, so I am unable
    > > > to use it.
    > > >
    > > > I checked the power management, as best I could, and all the settings look
    > > > correct.
    > > >
    > > > Do you have any idea how I can fix it? If the Windows screen didn't come
    > > > up, I would think there's a loose wire or it needs repair. But this really
    > > > seems like just a setting.

    I FIXED IT! Hope this helps the dozens of Dell Inspiron owners having the
    same problem.

    The solution is un-sticking the mechanism which puts the notebook in suspend
    when the notebook is closed. It's an easy fix, if I can explain it
    effectively.

    Open the notebook and use a screwdriver to take off the decorative plate
    above the keyboard. There's a slot on the left side. Gently peel it from
    left to right, as the right side will remain affixed by some cable.

    Above the F5 and F6, all the way up near the crease between the monitor
    (lid) and the keyboard (base), you will see a miniscule "stick" sticking up.
    Like a tiny stickshift. Press on it several times to loosen it up. It
    should bob up and down like a jack-in-the-box.

    Now replace the cover and restart your computer.

    The tech also had me uninstall the video driver, and reinstall it with the
    original Dell CD, but that didn't work. The procedure above did, which makes
    me believe the Inspiron's control is of faulty design.

    Good luck!

    "Lluvia" wrote:

    > When I undock my Dell notebook, I lose my display. If I turn it off and
    > reboot it, the Windows screen show up, but then it goes black, so I am unable
    > to use it.
    >
    > I checked the power management, as best I could, and all the settings look
    > correct.
    >
    > Do you have any idea how I can fix it? If the Windows screen didn't come
    > up, I would think there's a loose wire or it needs repair. But this really
    > seems like just a setting.

    I FIXED IT! Hope this helps the dozens of Dell Inspiron owners having the
    same problem.

    The solution is un-sticking the mechanism which puts the notebook in suspend
    when the notebook is closed. It's an easy fix, if I can explain it
    effectively.

    Open the notebook and use a screwdriver to take off the decorative plate
    above the keyboard. There's a slot on the left side. Gently peel it from
    left to right, as the right side will remain affixed by some cable.

    Above the F5 and F6, all the way up near the crease between the monitor
    (lid) and the keyboard (base), you will see a miniscule "stick" sticking up.
    Like a tiny stickshift. Press on it several times to loosen it up. It
    should bob up and down like a jack-in-the-box.

    Now replace the cover and restart your computer.

    The tech also had me uninstall the video driver, and reinstall it with the
    original Dell CD, but that didn't work. The procedure above did, which makes
    me believe the Inspiron's control is of faulty design.

    Thanks for your help, Ray!

    "RayBccul--" wrote:

    > Based on what you've said to this point, sounds like an issue with the system
    > its self. Either a problem with the hardware or a configuration setting.
    > Either way, your best bet is probably to contact Dell support.
    > --
    > Thanks...
    > Ray Beckwith
    > Network Administrator
    > Calfornia Credit Union League
    >

    > "Lluvia" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, Ray!
    > > Unfortunately, I already tried the toggle (Fn+F8) to no avail. My notebook
    > > says "LCD/CRT." I assume that's the correct one. And, yes, I always just
    > > "undock" under the start button.
    > >
    > > I am not computer literate enough to find new drivers, although it has
    > > always worked in the past. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook, Pentium 4,
    > > Win XP Home edition, with a Dell docking station.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas??
    > > Thanks so much for your time!
    > > Raine
    > >

    > > "RayBccul--" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Try the screen toggle. It should be one of the Function keys (usually Fn + F4
    > > > or Fn + F5 but I'm not sure about Dell). It should be indicated by a picture
    > > > of 2 screens side by side on the bottom of the key. Most laptops will switch
    > > > between the LCD and external monitor with this key. It appears that your
    > > > laptop is not switching back to the LCD when undocking. You should probably
    > > > check the Dell website for updated drivers for the docking station to ensure
    > > > the laptop is able to correctly switch from Docked to Undocked.
    > > >

    > > > Also when you undock, are you just unplugging it or do you first chose
    > > > "undock" from the start menu? --
    > > > Thanks...
    > > > Ray Beckwith
    > > > Network Administrator