The time has come, my little friends

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's right, I'm going to retire my faithful Hercules GeForece 2MX 64MB. I finally found a game that it can't run at 1024x768x32 with all the details turned up (Ghost Recon).

I'm looking at an 8500 (retail), but I have a couple of questions.
Obviously, the drivers are the biggest question. Current ones ok (stable)? Any recent word on Truform being implemented soon?

$255 at Newegg, good deal. The opposition, the Visiontek Ti500, also a good card. $319, a decent amount more. I'd probably have to wait a while longer to get it.

I've seen conflicting reports on image quality, but they both look ok, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm talking to a friend of mine who says I should get the GF3Ti500 because of Xbox games being brought over to the PC. They'd probably play better on a similar card.

Any thoughts? I'm looking at getting it around Christmas (just because of how my money works out, not because it's Christmas).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Fat, get Ti500. Great drivers (trusted drivers as well), and many, many optimizations. It most likely will be optimized fro the XBox games coming, so it'll last u for some time.

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<font color=blue>That's right, I'm going to retire my</font color=blue> <font color=red> faithful Hercules GeForece 2MX 64MB.</font color=red> <font color=blue> I finally found a game that it can't run at 1024x768x32 with all the details turned up (Ghost Recon). </font color=blue>

Good things come to those who wait.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 8500 is a GREAT DEAL, TRUEFORM is the wave of the future for gaming realism and nVidia has not released their own version of it yet. MOST people are reporting NO problems with the latest Radeon drivers.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
ok:
R8500 $225
ti 500 $315 (and its visiontek...i dont like them that much)

are you willing to pay that extra $90 to get slightly better framerates on a handful of games that are older than half the computers people own?

and about the xbox with the gf3...
the xbox has a modified version of a gf3.
the gamecube has some kind of "supposed ati technology enhanced" graphics card.
personally....i like the gamecubes graphics better than the xbox's.
and besides...who wants a game console that is known to crash (ie. xbox) just like a computer?
anyways...i think some people will buy a gf3 ti 500 just for bragging rights.
both are very good cards...but cheaper is better (pricewise of course).

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
opps...
R8500 $255
ti500 $319

$65 difference...
my eyes must be going bad...
ah well...

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

G

read my post "All GeForce3..." and buy a Ti200! It can be o'clocked higher thatn Ti500! Also all famous places show that GeForce3 has a way higher frame rate in OpenGL games (OpenGL will be used the most in the futur) while Radeon8500 is better at Direct3D (I feel like it was desighned to give a high score in 3dmark2001 and that's it!) drivers still suck!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
pr497, I must ask u, where do u get yuour weed? Gamecube's graphics are childs' play compared to XBox- XBox's are so much more complex and better.

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
R8500 or Ti500... does it really matter? They are both great cards. R8500 is DirectX8.1 and cheaper, Ti500 has much more mature drivers but more expensive. Is there any of these things that matter more to you? If it's the price go 8500, if it is drivers go Ti500.

In the end you'll get an awesome card, i envy you ;)

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Do you have a link for that? The new drivers don't have this issue, as far as I know.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
who wants a game console that is known to crash

The Xbox <font color=red>DOES NOT CRASH</font color=red>. I'm getting sick of people putting down Microsoft for no reason.

Anyhow, the GF3Ti500 is DX8, not DX8.1? Can someone verify this? I didn't realize, that may make the difference.

Oh, and juin: I'll possibly get a Northwood after they come out, depending on the benchmarks. We'll see.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
relax...its only an opinion (just like nvidia vs. ati and amd vs. intel bah, bah, bah)...now...where's the weed you owe me?

-PSB

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Actually flamethrower your wrong, the gamecube's graphics look much nicer than the xbox's, while its hardware may not be quite as powerful, the fact it uses a custom driver set and dosent have any pc type archetechture. And the t1sram memory, is more than enough to deliver smoother and richer looking graphics.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Modern games barely use dx7 fatty, why does it matter if the gf3 has dx 8.1?

PS: if you have a gf3 ti500 I am willing to bet 20 bucks that the first xbox emulators will only work on your system.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i'm going to agree withyou on this one. my xbox has not given me the blue screen. yet.

<font color=blue>windows halted. restart system.</font color=blue> <font color=red>me</font color=red> :mad: . <font color=green>Bill G</font color=green> :lol: .

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
one of my computers do all the time, but its a 386 used for old amiga emulators.

<font color=blue>windows halted. restart system.</font color=blue> <font color=red>me</font color=red> :mad: . <font color=green>Bill G</font color=green> :lol: .

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Ah, but what of the games of tomorrow? Indeed, the Radeon is DX 8.1 while the GeForce 3 is DX 8.0. This means, for the Radeon, full pixel shader implementation. Games that come out and use it will look quite a bit more realistic and richer compared to those that do not. Truform helps, but mostly with older games. And it has its downsides too, for control for it is at the developer level, not the user level, so you can either have it on or off, and if not implemented properly, can round edges that are not meant to be rounded at all.

GF3 is a shade faster. Radeon 8500 is a shade prettier.

Radeon 8500 roughly $40 cheaper if you really find lowest prices for both.

You have a choice. The green pill, or the red pill. Hang on, that's the Matrix.

Any way, either way, they will both make you happier than your current graphics card. Neither will hug you or say I love you, but that is what girlfriends are for.

How long is a piece of string? The same shape as something beige.

G

Yeah, what the OzzieBloke said.

However, I would lean towards the Radeon.
But then again, I'm a Ford man.

<b> <font color=orange>Cynicism. It's what's for dinner. </b> </font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
hmm, YOUR GRAPHICS CARD IS YOUR FRIEND!! BE ONE WITH THE GRAPHICS CARD!! Girlfriends can't replace your relationship with your graphics card.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i thought it was the blue pill and the red pill?
man...now i gotta go look for my matrix dvd to find out...

-PSB

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I still think graphics are better- and have u noticed how complex things can be, ie physics and stuff? Pr, your weed will be sent to u:)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Complex physics???

The powerpc class cpu in the gamecube can eat the xbox's celly for BREAKFAST. So any cpu based physics and ai calcs which can be done on the xbox, can be done much better on the gamecube. Graphics are in the air, Both are very beautiful, the games I played for gamecube just felt smoother, as I mentioned in another thread, on the xbox, I saw pc slowdown.(a brief slowdown, then everything comes back to speed). Not on the gamecube.