GALAGA '88

Tags:
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
September 11, 2005 11:58:37 PM

OK, I just unlocked "Galaga '88" on the new Namco disc for PS2, as well
as "Pac Land". Scoring 20,000 and 25,000 on Pac Man and Mrs. Pac Man
respectively was easy. Scoring 40,000 on Galaga was a bit of a
challenge. Not too bad, not too easy either. In any case, they are both
unlocked. WARNING: be sure to SAVE your high scores on these games, as
the disc doesn't to it automatically.

I'd always heard that "Galaga '90" for the Turbografx 16 was basically
just a port of "Galaga '88", and looking at the graphics, this is
obviously true. But after finally playing Galaga '88, I have to say
that it is far superior to the TG-16 version.

More about : galaga

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:19:01 AM

> Mrs. Pac Man

Her marital status is ambiguous.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:10:49 AM

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> MrBiggles <mrbiggles909@yahoo.com> wrote in news:Bs6Ve.14414$ct5.224
> @fed1read04:
>
> >> Mrs. Pac Man
> >
> > Her marital status is ambiguous.
>
> This does call into question the ligitimacy of Jr. Pac-Man,
> don't you think?

Pac Man was cuckolded by KC Munchkin
September 12, 2005 3:25:55 AM

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:36:20 AM

"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@SpammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote in

> MrBiggles <mrbiggles909@yahoo.com> wrote in news:Bs6Ve.14414$ct5.224
> @fed1read04:
>
>>> Mrs. Pac Man
>>
>> Her marital status is ambiguous.
>
> This does call into question the ligitimacy of Jr. Pac-Man,
> don't you think?

We should put the interrogation light on Prof Pac-Man. Something's amiss
in Pac-Land...

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

The Space Boss wrote:
> Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
>
>>MrBiggles <mrbiggles909@yahoo.com> wrote in news:Bs6Ve.14414$ct5.224
>>@fed1read04:

>>>Her marital status is ambiguous.
>>
>>This does call into question the ligitimacy of Jr. Pac-Man,
>>don't you think?
>>

> Pac Man was cuckolded by KC Munchkin

Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
why that's his name.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:57:17 PM

MrBiggles wrote:

> Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
> why that's his name.

To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:39:54 PM

On 12 Sep 2005 14:57:17 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
wrote:

>MrBiggles wrote:
>

>> Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
>> why that's his name.
>
>To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?

Only about a million times over. While the O2 was very limited it
still had some of the most kick ass games of all time like KC, Pick Ax
Pete and UFO.

George
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:53:16 PM

"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in

>> Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
>> why that's his name.
>
> To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
> KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?

I think KFC should bring back their smoked BBQ wings, if that's
what you mean.

--

Aaron " Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:53:57 PM

James Robert Leek wrote:
> >To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
> >KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>
> To me it looked more like he smoked pot laced with LSD.

I did that once, and it was NOT FUN NOT FOR A SINGLE MINUTE. Had
flashbacks for years after as well.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:56:10 PM

Turbo-Torch wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2005 14:57:17 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

> >MrBiggles wrote:
> >

> >> Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
> >> why that's his name.
> >
> >To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
> >KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>

> Only about a million times over. While the O2 was very limited it
> still had some of the most kick ass games of all time like KC, Pick Ax
> Pete and UFO.

Agreed but can you tell me sir, WHY is it that every O^2 game I can
remember playing only gives you ONE LIFE????? Why is that? Why don't
you get 3 KC Munchkins to start with???
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:58:09 PM

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

> I think KFC should bring back their smoked BBQ wings, if that's
> what you mean.

Ah, yes and the saturday night "open mike" comedy club amateurs "debut"
thier material for next weeks show..
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:29:30 AM

Chuck Whitby wrote:

> Mmm... Chick-Fil-A... expensive but well worth it. We have one in the
> food court at the mall. I've started eating healthier again so I'm
> eating at the salad place lately.

Good for you. Vegetarianism is the way to go!
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:37:49 AM

Chuck Whitby wrote:

> Atari Flashbacks?

No, flashbacks like I'd be sitting there, and all of the sudden (if you
can imagine this) I would completely forget WHO I was, WHERE I was, WHY
I was there.. it was like I was "dropped" cold into the situation with
no reference as to what came before it. These attacks only lasted like
20 seconds or so, but each one seemed like an eternity. There would be
an intense feeling of PANIC, and to make them go away I'd have to
quickly start looking around the room until things began to look
familier again.

Many of you will think this is funny, but it was a living hell, a
nightmare. And I had these flashbacks for YEARS. They would usually
happen when I was in an unfamilier surrounding, so even going to the
circus or the movies was scary, I was always afraid it was going to
happen.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:52:42 AM

> Had flashbacks for years after as well.

*HAD*? Or are STILL having???
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:53:29 AM

The Space Boss wrote:
> MrBiggles wrote:
>

>>Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
>>why that's his name.
>

> To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
> KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?

Smokes his bone? He might have before Ms. Pac-man came around, if he was
desperate enough?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:55:40 AM

> Many of you will think this is funny, but it was a living hell, a
> nightmare. And I had these flashbacks for YEARS. They would usually
> happen when I was in an unfamilier surrounding, so even going to the
> circus or the movies was scary

Well, going to the circus can cause those symptoms you describe
regardless. And plus, if you know you're having problems like that WHY
in the hell would you even consider going to a circus!?!?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:58:42 AM

The Space Boss wrote:
> Chuck Whitby wrote:
>

>>Mmm... Chick-Fil-A... expensive but well worth it. We have one in the
>>food court at the mall. I've started eating healthier again so I'm
>>eating at the salad place lately.
>>

> Good for you. Vegetarianism is the way to go!

But then one can't contribute to the death of innocent creatures!
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:07:26 AM

> I'd always heard that "Galaga '90" for the Turbografx 16 was basically
> just a port of "Galaga '88", and looking at the graphics, this is
> obviously true. But after finally playing Galaga '88, I have to say
> that it is far superior to the TG-16 version.

Wow.. next thing you know you'll be saying crazy wild out-there things like
the arcade Splatterhouse is superior to the TG16 Splatterhouse ;-D
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:23:23 AM

Chuck Whitby wrote:

> Was time for my bi-annual
> haircut,

Yeah I'll BET IT WAS !!!! :)
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:31:07 AM

Didimo wrote:

> AAAAMEEEN TO YOU BOTH!!! The O2/Videopac (I'm from Italy) was my first
> programmable system, and to this day I still wonder why one life only.

>From my understanding, most of the O2 games were programmed by the same
guy. Maybe we should try to track him down and ask him (or perhaps
there's an interview posted somewhere where the question is asked)

> When I eventually got an Atari VCS after the crash (I had sold my
> Videopac to buy an Intellivision, and then later got a Colecovision;

I started off with a VCS, and had that for a long time but I was always
fascinated by the Intellivision... so around 1982 or so I had $200 and
on an impulse I bought a "Tandyvision" from Radio Shack (which was
exactly the same as an Intellivision). I had some great times with that
Tandyvision, honest to God I really enjoyed it, but after 7 days I got
the "Black screen of death". I decided just to return the unit and get
my money back, and bought a Colecovision for $214 including Michigan
sales tax. I think it was the right choice. The only comprable choice
at the time would have been an Atari 400/800 computer.

> the VCS came from a trade with a friend, after I had gotten sick of
> playing the same Inty games over and over and I couldn't find any new
> ones anymore...) I missed my Videopac and its superior games. Poorer
> graphics, maybe (that's debatable), but still WAY better in terms of
> playability, fun factor and overall appearance.
>
> Fear not: back years ago I bought a complete in box O2 + tons of
> games, and a few years back I found an elusive Videopac 7400 + some
> fun + (7400 enhanced) games back on vacation in Italy.

What is this and what makes it different from an O2?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:36:29 AM

Turbo-Torch wrote:

> I dunno. I've heard the rumors that it couldn't be programmed in due
> to system constraints or the programmers (mainly one guy) didn't know
> how to program in more lives.

I've thought about this myself, but that would have been a real basic
routine that ANY programmer would know how to do. Someone needs to
track this guy down and make him accountable to answer for this.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:42:22 AM

>To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?

To me it looked more like he smoked pot laced with LSD.

--
Jim Leek
jrleek@soda.berkeley.edu

On 12 Sep 2005 19:56:10 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
wrote:

>Turbo-Torch wrote:
>> On 12 Sep 2005 14:57:17 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
>> wrote:

>> >To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>> >KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>>

>> Only about a million times over. While the O2 was very limited it
>> still had some of the most kick ass games of all time like KC, Pick Ax
>> Pete and UFO.
>
>Agreed but can you tell me sir, WHY is it that every O^2 game I can
>remember playing only gives you ONE LIFE????? Why is that? Why don't
>you get 3 KC Munchkins to start with???

I dunno. I've heard the rumors that it couldn't be programmed in due
to system constraints or the programmers (mainly one guy) didn't know
how to program in more lives.

Can't say I didn't like the one life, it made things more challenging
and gave more replay value imo. Plus it just made it different than
all the other systems. Another difference was the low scores where
most items were worth 1 to 5 points. Good score on the O2 was 100
points, other systems 100,000.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:55:44 AM

jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (James Robert Leek) wrote in news:D g508e$1h03
$1@agate.berkeley.edu:

>>To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>>KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>
> To me it looked more like he smoked pot laced with LSD.

Mmmm... pot laced with LSD...

The stupid things I did when I was a stoner... 8*)

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Chuck Whitby wrote:
> jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (James Robert Leek) wrote in news:D g508e$1h03
> $1@agate.berkeley.edu:
>

>>>To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>>>KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>>
>> To me it looked more like he smoked pot laced with LSD.
>>

> Mmmm... pot laced with LSD...
>
> The stupid things I did when I was a stoner... 8*)

Wow, I had you pegged for more of a nerdy guy. Did you have long hair
and listen to Led Zeppelin as well?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:56:04 AM

> James Robert Leek wrote:
>> >To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>> >KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>>
>> To me it looked more like he smoked pot laced with LSD.
>
> I did that once, and it was NOT FUN NOT FOR A SINGLE MINUTE. Had
> flashbacks for years after as well.

Atari Flashbacks? *rimshot*

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

> "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote in
>
>>> Ms. Pac-man would never be satisfied by KC Munchkin... there's a reason
>>> why that's his name.
>>
>> To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>> KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>
> I think KFC should bring back their smoked BBQ wings, if that's
> what you mean.

I'll tell you what, I don't eat there often, but KFC freakin' rules. Their
popcorn chicken is teh leet snack food.

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

Chuck Whitby <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote in

>>> To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you
>>> think KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>>
>> I think KFC should bring back their smoked BBQ wings, if that's
>> what you mean.
>>

> I'll tell you what, I don't eat there often, but KFC freakin' rules.
> Their popcorn chicken is teh leet snack food.

I've had mixed experiences with KFC... recently, I got hooked on
Chick-Fil-A, so that's where I go for my chikkin' fix now.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:25:09 AM

> Chuck Whitby <chuck@toomanygames.com> wrote in

>>> I think KFC should bring back their smoked BBQ wings, if that's
>>> what you mean.
>>>

>> I'll tell you what, I don't eat there often, but KFC freakin' rules.
>> Their popcorn chicken is teh leet snack food.
>
> I've had mixed experiences with KFC... recently, I got hooked on
> Chick-Fil-A, so that's where I go for my chikkin' fix now.

Mmm... Chick-Fil-A... expensive but well worth it. We have one in the
food court at the mall. I've started eating healthier again so I'm
eating at the salad place lately.

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder
East Coast Gaming Expo
http://www.ecgxpo.com
"It's the games"
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:25:10 AM

>>> I'll tell you what, I don't eat there often, but KFC freakin' rules.
>>> Their popcorn chicken is teh leet snack food.
>>
>> I've had mixed experiences with KFC... recently, I got hooked on
>> Chick-Fil-A, so that's where I go for my chikkin' fix now.
>>

> Mmm... Chick-Fil-A... expensive but well worth it. We have one in the
> food court at the mall. I've started eating healthier again so I'm
> eating at the salad place lately.

I just wish NEPA had Sonic Drive-Ins and White Castle. That's good
stuff.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:17:01 AM

> Chuck Whitby wrote:
>> jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (James Robert Leek) wrote in
>> news:D g508e$1h03 $1@agate.berkeley.edu:

>>> To me it looked more like he smoked pot laced with LSD.
>>>

>> Mmmm... pot laced with LSD...
>>
>> The stupid things I did when I was a stoner... 8*)
>
> Wow, I had you pegged for more of a nerdy guy. Did you have long hair
> and listen to Led Zeppelin as well?

I did have long hair until last Thursday. Was time for my bi-annual
haircut, now I'll go another 6 months without a haircut.

Never listened to Zeppelin, I'm more of a Floyd man. And trust me, I'm
no nerdy guy. 8*) Never seen pics of me, I take it?

http://toomanygames.com/images/chuck/4.jpg That's a cropped shot of me
at PhillyClassic a few years back.
http://toomanygames.com/images/chuck/5.jpg There's another at PC with me
playing Para Para Paradise on PS2.
http://toomanygames.com/images/chuck/6.jpg And there's me... judging by
the PS2 controller in my massive hands... I'm probably playing some sort
of Tekken... I don't think T4 was out on PS2 at that point, so probably
TTT.

--
___
Chuck Whitby - Founder

wrote:

>> >To turn this into a somewhat meaningful on-topic thread, do you think
>> >KC Munchkin smokes Atari 2600 Pac Man?
>>

>> Only about a million times over. While the O2 was very limited it
>> still had some of the most kick ass games of all time like KC, Pick Ax
>> Pete and UFO.
>
>Agreed but can you tell me sir, WHY is it that every O^2 game I can
>remember playing only gives you ONE LIFE????? Why is that? Why don't
>you get 3 KC Munchkins to start with???

AAAAMEEEN TO YOU BOTH!!! The O2/Videopac (I'm from Italy) was my first
programmable system, and to this day I still wonder why one life only.
When I eventually got an Atari VCS after the crash (I had sold my
Videopac to buy an Intellivision, and then later got a Colecovision;
the VCS came from a trade with a friend, after I had gotten sick of
playing the same Inty games over and over and I couldn't find any new
ones anymore...) I missed my Videopac and its superior games. Poorer
graphics, maybe (that's debatable), but still WAY better in terms of
playability, fun factor and overall appearance.

Fear not: back years ago I bought a complete in box O2 + tons of
games, and a few years back I found an elusive Videopac 7400 + some
fun + (7400 enhanced) games back on vacation in Italy.

Ciao,
Simone
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:45:59 PM

Chuck Whitby wrote:
> MrBiggles <mrbiggles909@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>>Chuck Whitby wrote:
>>
>>>jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (James Robert Leek) wrote in
>>>news:D g508e$1h03 $1@agate.berkeley.edu:

>>>Mmmm... pot laced with LSD...
>>>
>>>The stupid things I did when I was a stoner... 8*)
>>
>>Wow, I had you pegged for more of a nerdy guy. Did you have long hair
>>and listen to Led Zeppelin as well?
>>

> I did have long hair until last Thursday. Was time for my bi-annual
> haircut, now I'll go another 6 months without a haircut.
>
> Never listened to Zeppelin, I'm more of a Floyd man. And trust me, I'm
> no nerdy guy. 8*) Never seen pics of me, I take it?
>
> http://toomanygames.com/images/chuck/4.jpg That's a cropped shot of me
> at PhillyClassic a few years back.
> http://toomanygames.com/images/chuck/5.jpg There's another at PC with me
> playing Para Para Paradise on PS2.
> http://toomanygames.com/images/chuck/6.jpg And there's me... judging by
> the PS2 controller in my massive hands... I'm probably playing some sort
> of Tekken... I don't think T4 was out on PS2 at that point, so probably
> TTT.

Massive hands? Are you trying to tell us something???
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:48:30 PM

The Space Boss wrote:
> Turbo-Torch wrote:
>

>>I dunno. I've heard the rumors that it couldn't be programmed in due
>>to system constraints or the programmers (mainly one guy) didn't know
>>how to program in more lives.
>

> I've thought about this myself, but that would have been a real basic
> routine that ANY programmer would know how to do. Someone needs to
> track this guy down and make him accountable to answer for this.

About the only think I can think of would be memory concerns, but to
store a simple 4 value variable is trivial in terms of memory.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:40:31 PM

In article <bkhci1l8asokqbo4o6tgvmhcbrg8dme1o9@4ax.com>,
Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can't say I didn't like the one life, it made things more challenging
> and gave more replay value imo. Plus it just made it different than
> all the other systems. Another difference was the low scores where
> most items were worth 1 to 5 points. Good score on the O2 was 100
> points, other systems 100,000.

Then just write two or three zeros on a Post-It note and stick it on
your TV screen. When all scores are multiples of 100 anyhow, the extra
zeros are just there for looks.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:43:03 PM

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:40:31 -0500, Bruce Tomlin
<bruce#fanboy.net@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>In article <bkhci1l8asokqbo4o6tgvmhcbrg8dme1o9@4ax.com>,
> Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can't say I didn't like the one life, it made things more challenging
>> and gave more replay value imo. Plus it just made it different than
>> all the other systems. Another difference was the low scores where
>> most items were worth 1 to 5 points. Good score on the O2 was 100
>> points, other systems 100,000.
>
>Then just write two or three zeros on a Post-It note and stick it on
>your TV screen. When all scores are multiples of 100 anyhow, the extra
>zeros are just there for looks.

Uh yeah, I think we all realize that. The point is it was just
something different compared to the other systems.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:08:52 AM

On 12 Sep 2005 22:31:07 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
wrote:

>> Fear not: back years ago I bought a complete in box O2 + tons of
>> games, and a few years back I found an elusive Videopac 7400 + some
>> fun + (7400 enhanced) games back on vacation in Italy.
>
>What is this and what makes it different from an O2?

Videopac 7400 = Odyssey 3, which was announced in the US, but never
released. It was on the other hand released in Europe. It could play
two type of games: Odyssey 2 games especially reprogrammed with
enhanced background graphics (Killer Bees, for example). These games
were compatible with O2/Videopac, but would only display the simple
graphics on the O2/Videopac. Then towards the end they came out with
7400 only games. I can only remember one from back then, Nordmen (or
something like that), which I haven't found yet. Any others?
Ciao,
Simone
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:23:32 AM

Bruce Tomlin wrote:
> In article <bkhci1l8asokqbo4o6tgvmhcbrg8dme1o9@4ax.com>,
> Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can't say I didn't like the one life, it made things more challenging
> > and gave more replay value imo. Plus it just made it different than
> > all the other systems. Another difference was the low scores where
> > most items were worth 1 to 5 points. Good score on the O2 was 100
> > points, other systems 100,000.
>
> Then just write two or three zeros on a Post-It note and stick it on
> your TV screen. When all scores are multiples of 100 anyhow, the extra
> zeros are just there for looks.

They didn't have post it's in the 80's.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:25:09 AM

They showed screenshots of Pick Axe Pete for the Odyessy 3 in EGM.
September 14, 2005 8:32:15 PM

On 14 Sep 2005 00:23:32 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
wrote:

>Bruce Tomlin wrote:
>> In article <bkhci1l8asokqbo4o6tgvmhcbrg8dme1o9@4ax.com>,
>> Turbo-Torch <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Can't say I didn't like the one life, it made things more challenging
>> > and gave more replay value imo. Plus it just made it different than
>> > all the other systems. Another difference was the low scores where
>> > most items were worth 1 to 5 points. Good score on the O2 was 100
>> > points, other systems 100,000.
>>
>> Then just write two or three zeros on a Post-It note and stick it on
>> your TV screen. When all scores are multiples of 100 anyhow, the extra
>> zeros are just there for looks.
>
>They didn't have post it's in the 80's.

Ah, sure they did!

Initial prototypes were available in 1977, and by 1980, after a large
sampling campaign, the product had been introduced around the world.

I can't believe I just wasted time Googling that.

-lugnut
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:48:45 AM

On 14 Sep 2005 00:25:09 -0700, "The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com>
wrote:

>They showed screenshots of Pick Axe Pete for the Odyessy 3 in EGM.

Yes, it is one of the titles with enhanced graphics I own for 7400. On
the regular videopac it only displays the bare gameplay graphics.
Ciao,
Simone
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:52:09 AM

>Then towards the end they came out with
>7400 only games. I can only remember one from back then, Nordmen
>(or something like that), which I haven't found yet. Any others?

Hey, where the hell is Matt Pritchard hanging out when you need the
answer to an O2/O3 question?!? Matt! We need your help!!!
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:51:54 PM

jt august wrote:

> As to the only having one life, Maggotbox and the dude who wrote almost
> every O^2 in house game thought it would give their games a marketing
> edge by making high scores more challenging on one life and more
> honorable. A move that lives in infamy among collectors.

True but it made them less ARCADE-LIKE.. which was a bad thing. Home
gamers wanted the arcade at home.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:32:22 PM

In article <21nci1p2rlagaje08ro90l4g4e0sca3564@4ax.com>,
Didimo <didimo@SPAMMATUAMAMMAsbcglobal.net> wrote:

> AAAAMEEEN TO YOU BOTH!!! The O2/Videopac (I'm from Italy) was my first
> programmable system, and to this day I still wonder why one life only.
> When I eventually got an Atari VCS after the crash (I had sold my
> Videopac to buy an Intellivision, and then later got a Colecovision;
> the VCS came from a trade with a friend, after I had gotten sick of
> playing the same Inty games over and over and I couldn't find any new
> ones anymore...) I missed my Videopac and its superior games. Poorer
> graphics, maybe (that's debatable), but still WAY better in terms of
> playability, fun factor and overall appearance.

As to the only having one life, Maggotbox and the dude who wrote almost
every O^2 in house game thought it would give their games a marketing
edge by making high scores more challenging on one life and more
honorable. A move that lives in infamy among collectors.

> Fear not: back years ago I bought a complete in box O2 + tons of
> games, and a few years back I found an elusive Videopac 7400 + some
> fun + (7400 enhanced) games back on vacation in Italy.

I got my 7400 through an old school internet auction. Before eBay, the
7400 wasn't so elusive, and a lot cheaper to those of us on this side of
the Pond.

jt
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:04:14 PM

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:32:22 GMT, jt august <starsabre@att.net> wrote:

>In article <21nci1p2rlagaje08ro90l4g4e0sca3564@4ax.com>,
> Didimo <didimo@SPAMMATUAMAMMAsbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Fear not: back years ago I bought a complete in box O2 + tons of
>> games, and a few years back I found an elusive Videopac 7400 + some
>> fun + (7400 enhanced) games back on vacation in Italy.
>
>I got my 7400 through an old school internet auction. Before eBay, the
>7400 wasn't so elusive, and a lot cheaper to those of us on this side of
>the Pond.

Hey JT,
The 7400 was actually FAIRLY easy to find in Italy until a few years
ago. The problem, I believe, is that few people collected videogames
in Europe until 10 or so years ago, and a lot of stores who still had
Videopac stuff just threw it away b/c it was just collecting dust in
the back of the store.
While I loved my regular Videopac (my first programmable video game
system), when I found my 7400 about 7 years ago I thought it was a
major disappointment: prettier graphics for the background, and that's
it. It is true however that I have not been able to locate Norsemen or
any other "7400 only" carts (although, as I mentioned, besides
Norsemen I do not recall seeing any in the stores back then), nor the
7400-only computer module. I missed one on ebay a few months ago.
Ciao,
Simone

PS: I very recently got into collecting Emerson Arcadia / Hanimex /
Leonardo Gig . Do you collect Arcadia 2001? What do you think of it? I
find it strangely appealing : ) (probably b/c it's the console it took
me the longest time to locate) I only have about 5 Arcadia 2001 carts
so far, and about 10 Leonardo Gig back home in Italy, with a couple of
extras I recently acquired through an auction.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:15:57 AM

>The arcade craze started to die off in the mid to late 80's so the
>arcade ports didn't do much of anything for the NES compared to its
>original games which made it a success. 7800 stuck with the played
>out arcade theme and tanked in a big way.

Eh... I still recall the biggest games on the NES being arcade ports, and
all the whining that went on when games weren't arcade perfect. Can you
say "Double Dragon" or "Contra?" Although I admit it's possible that this
was less true for the NES than with prior systems, I have no hard evidence
to compare. You can even see the arcade affecting sales well into the
16-bit era, with Street Fighter and Neo Geo games being big sellers. The
power of the arcade didn't really die until the home systems could pretty
much match anything that was done in the arcades, ie the Playstation era.
--
Jim Leek
jrleek@soda.berkeley.edu

jrleek@soda.csua.berkeley.edu (James Robert Leek) wrote in
news:D gl3gd$5u4$1@agate.berkeley.edu:

>>The arcade craze started to die off in the mid to late 80's so the
>>arcade ports didn't do much of anything for the NES compared to its
>>original games which made it a success. 7800 stuck with the played
>>out arcade theme and tanked in a big way.
>
> Eh... I still recall the biggest games on the NES being arcade ports,
> and
> all the whining that went on when games weren't arcade perfect. Can
> you say "Double Dragon" or "Contra?" Although I admit it's possible
> that this was less true for the NES than with prior systems, I have no
> hard evidence to compare.

Yeah, but at the same time, it was by then considered normal for a home
game to take creative liberties with the arcade concept. A game could
be made better than the arcade, which before would have been absurd.

You can even see the arcade affecting sales
> well into the 16-bit era, with Street Fighter and Neo Geo games being
> big sellers.

Kinda, but arcades were struggling long before Street Fighter arrived.
It was seen as being a game that brought "new blood" into an ailing
industry... so by that point, the home experience was a major contender,
if not the reigning champ.

The power of the arcade didn't really die until the home
> systems could pretty much match anything that was done in the arcades,
> ie the Playstation era.

It didn't die until then, but it was on life-support many, many years
prior.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:13:35 AM

In article <1127073114.298309.194520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"The Space Boss" <drsmith666@aol.com> wrote:

> jt august wrote:
>

> > As to the only having one life, Maggotbox and the dude who wrote almost
> > every O^2 in house game thought it would give their games a marketing
> > edge by making high scores more challenging on one life and more
> > honorable. A move that lives in infamy among collectors.
>
> True but it made them less ARCADE-LIKE.. which was a bad thing. Home
> gamers wanted the arcade at home.

Which was part of the O^2's self destruction. They finally got a clue
and licensed an arcade game with the voice module. Of course, that was
Turtles, not a particular hit (I had never even heard of it, and it was
several years later I finally found a unit in an arcade).

But Mag new they needed to try something to stand out against the ever
overwhelming Atari 2600, and that is one of the things they tried.

jt
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 6:20:35 AM

In article <edari154ffie77kkcvadsor88t3vi5sjpa@4ax.com>,
Didimo <didimo@SPAMMATUAMAMMAsbcglobal.net> wrote:

> PS: I very recently got into collecting Emerson Arcadia / Hanimex /
> Leonardo Gig . Do you collect Arcadia 2001? What do you think of it? I
> find it strangely appealing : ) (probably b/c it's the console it took
> me the longest time to locate) I only have about 5 Arcadia 2001 carts
> so far, and about 10 Leonardo Gig back home in Italy, with a couple of
> extras I recently acquired through an auction.

I've been into full collecting for over a decade. i cannot remember
when I got my 2001, but I do recall it was a trade with someone up in
Canada. I recently found a loose 2k1 controller, but the store I found
it at doesn't sell cassettes without boxes, and the sorter thought that
the games were cassettes. And no, they wouldn't let me dig in their
dumpster.

jt
!