"Free" Rigistry Cleaner any good?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds of
faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM, seems to
run fine.

It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
29.95 to fix anything else.

Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?
20 answers Last reply
More about free rigistry cleaner good
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I should have said that the program comes from "FreeRegistryFix.com"

    "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds
    >of faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM,
    >seems to run fine.
    >
    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
    > 29.95 to fix anything else.
    >
    > Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    > I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found
    > hundreds of faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro,
    > 512 MB RAM, seems to run fine.
    >
    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version
    > for $29.95 to fix anything else.
    >
    > Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?

    facetious mode/on

    As long as you have plenty of time on your hands, go ahead. It shouldn't take you more than a few days to re-install everything and get over the loss of your personal data. 8<|

    What is the actual name of this wonderful software program?

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Freeregistryfix.com is the name.

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    > I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found
    > hundreds of faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro,
    > 512 MB RAM, seems to run fine.
    >
    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version
    > for $29.95 to fix anything else.
    >
    > Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?

    facetious mode/on

    As long as you have plenty of time on your hands, go ahead. It shouldn't
    take you more than a few days to re-install everything and get over the loss
    of your personal data. 8<|

    What is the actual name of this wonderful software program?

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    > Freeregistryfix.com is the name.
    <snip>

    Here are a couple other threads where you can get more information.

    Google Groups : microsoft.public.security.homeusers:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security.homeusers/browse_thread/thread/6d4f5b63a7fb720b/0b2dc15b5c53d71e?lnk=st&q=%22Free+Registry+Fix%22+group:microsoft.public.*&rnum=1#0b2dc15b5c53d71e

    Google Groups : microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_thread/thread/8a09052a440cce73/a1579c4dcea64904?lnk=st&q=%22Free+Registry+Fix%22+group:microsoft.public.*&rnum=3#a1579c4dcea64904

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Avoid this scam like the plague.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds
    of
    > faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM, seems
    > run fine.
    >
    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
    > 29.95 to fix anything else.
    >
    > Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    It's a scam. You do not need a registry cleaner for Windows XP.
    Using a registry cleaner will not do anything positive for
    the performance of your computer.

    Many folks who have gone ahead and used a registry cleaner
    often visit this newsgroup for help, usually beginning their
    question with "Help! Suddenly Windows XP stopped ___________"
    (you fill in the blank).

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ritter197" wrote:

    | I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds of
    | faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM, seems to
    | run fine.
    |
    | It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
    | 29.95 to fix anything else.
    |
    | Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    It might very well be a scam, but the concept of registry cleaning is
    a valid one, even in XP.

    I use Norton Systemworks, which is a suite, which includes a registry
    checker/cleaner.

    It finds registry errors all the time, many times finding 20 or 30 per
    scan. Most software doesn't install cleanly, even WORD and Pagemaker,
    which are supposed to be above suspicion by reputation:>:

    I find keys that don't lead anywhere and other assorted problems,
    especially activeX problems. I can uninstall almost any piece of
    software and run the scanner, it will be guaranteed to find problems!

    Even when software isn't uninstalled, there are often 3 or 4 'medium'
    rated registry problems found.

    There is a website that specializes in listing security threats that
    pose as legitimate software. I'll look for it later tonight and email
    you directly.

    In the meantime, if this is a scam, you MUST consider anything on your
    HD has been harvested. I strongly encourage you to get professional
    help from a local computer shop.

    The problem might be more serious than you think, especially if you
    use the computer for online shopping.

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:57:05 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

    >It's a scam. You do not need a registry cleaner for Windows XP.
    >Using a registry cleaner will not do anything positive for
    >the performance of your computer.
    >
    >Many folks who have gone ahead and used a registry cleaner
    >often visit this newsgroup for help, usually beginning their
    >question with "Help! Suddenly Windows XP stopped ___________"
    >(you fill in the blank).
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    The program is a scam only in the fact that it will fix a "certain" number
    of registry problems and then asks you to "upgrade" to the paid version.The
    problem with the program is that you really need to be quite knowledgable
    about registry keys in order to use it effectively.I was not so I
    uninstalled it .
    I went back to a more simple program called RegCleaner...........free at
    that point in time but now costs and has a name
    change............http://www.jv16.org/

    just remember that the registry is what starts your system.........if you
    screw it up you screw up your system.Which is why most MSVP suggest you
    leave it alone!!
    So I also use ERUNT
    ERUNT - The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

    Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

    v1.1h, 03/06/2005, Freeware
    Written by Lars Hederer
    e-mail: lars.hederer@t-online.de

    Look for the latest version here:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

    Before I run the cleaner I backup the registry
    good luck
    peterk

    > Freeregistryfix.com is the name.
    >

    > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    >> I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found
    >> hundreds of faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro,
    >> 512 MB RAM, seems to run fine.
    >>
    >> It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version
    >> for $29.95 to fix anything else.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?
    >
    > facetious mode/on
    >
    > As long as you have plenty of time on your hands, go ahead. It shouldn't
    > take you more than a few days to re-install everything and get over the
    > loss of your personal data. 8<|
    >
    > What is the actual name of this wonderful software program?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    > I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds of
    > faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM, seems to
    > run fine.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
    > 29.95 to fix anything else.

    Ah! So the offer of a "free" product was really just the bait in a
    scam? Do you really want to give your money to a company that's so
    unscrupulous? Do you really trust such an unethical firm with all of
    your personal data?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    TRABEM wrote:
    > It might very well be a scam, but the concept of registry cleaning is
    > a valid one, even in XP.

    No, that's not in the least bit correct. You've been listening to
    salesman and marketing lies, rather than experienced, knowledgeable
    technicians.

    > I use Norton Systemworks, which is a suite, which includes a registry
    > checker/cleaner.

    Actually, SystemWorks' primary function separate your money from your
    wallet. Once a useful utility suite, back in the days of MS-DOS, when
    Peter Norton was more than a picture on the box, Norton Utilities have
    been becoming increasingly useless and redundant over the years.
    There's little offered by NU that WinXP cannot already do natively. And
    some of Systemworks's features, like CrashGuard and CleanSweep (if
    they're still included) cause far more problems then they prevent.

    > It finds registry errors all the time, many times finding 20 or 30 per
    > scan. Most software doesn't install cleanly, even WORD and Pagemaker,
    > which are supposed to be above suspicion by reputation:>:
    >

    > I find keys that don't lead anywhere and other assorted problems,
    > especially activeX problems. I can uninstall almost any piece of
    > software and run the scanner, it will be guaranteed to find problems!
    >
    > Even when software isn't uninstalled, there are often 3 or 4 'medium'
    > rated registry problems found.

    Any thought as to where these registry "errors" are coming from, if
    you're finding new ones "all the time?" Oh, and what specific problems
    have any orphaned entries actually caused? Come on, name at least one
    specific problem that you experienced and couldn't have fixed without
    SystemWorks.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Bruce,

    I think you're leaning a bit too far out on this topic (much like many of
    our political organizations today), and the fringe is seldom a good place to
    be.

    Yes, any working in the Registry is not to be done by someone without some
    knowledge, and wholesale housecleaning is not for the faint of heart.

    Yes, the Norton/Symantec prodcuts are a pale imitation of what they once
    were ( I loved Norton Untilites 4.5 - that was Golden!) Recently, I
    undertook the task of removing all Symantec products from our two main PCs -
    mainly because the antispam product was just dogging down the system, not
    just while working email. Man, what a performance boost!

    Now, what could some registry cleaner product do that I could not do with
    RegEdit? Find the hundredSSSS of keys and values that
    Systemworks/AntiVirus/AntiSpam and especially Live Update left scattered
    throughout the registry, even after a supposed complete uninstall. I found
    lots on my own, but Registry First Aid found many many more.

    The only programs that do a good job of cleaning up after themselves in the
    registry with their uninstall are ones that don't make much use of the
    registry, and even there simple apps still leave lots of flotsam and jetsam
    around.

    On a system that's been in use going on 3 years now, lots of programs
    installed and removed over that time, Registry First Aid found about 2000
    entries that were orphaned, misdirected, or otherwised needed correction or
    could be deleted.

    The registry gets to be pretty big, and cutting down the junk in it can
    improve response time when a program has to go hunt in it for something.

    I'm not saying this is necessary for every user, or needed very often, but
    in my case it was a useful procedure. And certainly a lot less painful than
    wiping the drive and reinstalling everything to have cleaner system.

    Val

    ps - Bruce, I've seen your posts here for years, and been helped by your
    advice more than a few times. Thanks.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TRABEM wrote:
    > It might very well be a scam, but the concept of registry cleaning is
    > a valid one, even in XP.

    No, that's not in the least bit correct. You've been listening to
    salesman and marketing lies, rather than experienced, knowledgeable
    technicians.

    > I use Norton Systemworks, which is a suite, which includes a registry
    > checker/cleaner.

    Actually, SystemWorks' primary function separate your money from your
    wallet. Once a useful utility suite, back in the days of MS-DOS, when
    Peter Norton was more than a picture on the box, Norton Utilities have
    been becoming increasingly useless and redundant over the years.
    There's little offered by NU that WinXP cannot already do natively. And
    some of Systemworks's features, like CrashGuard and CleanSweep (if
    they're still included) cause far more problems then they prevent.

    > It finds registry errors all the time, many times finding 20 or 30 per
    > scan. Most software doesn't install cleanly, even WORD and Pagemaker,
    > which are supposed to be above suspicion by reputation:>:
    >

    > I find keys that don't lead anywhere and other assorted problems,
    > especially activeX problems. I can uninstall almost any piece of
    > software and run the scanner, it will be guaranteed to find problems!
    >
    > Even when software isn't uninstalled, there are often 3 or 4 'medium'
    > rated registry problems found.

    Any thought as to where these registry "errors" are coming from, if
    you're finding new ones "all the time?" Oh, and what specific problems
    have any orphaned entries actually caused? Come on, name at least one
    specific problem that you experienced and couldn't have fixed without
    SystemWorks.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "...the concept of registry cleaning is a valid one, even in XP."

    No, it's not, and it's such an old argument that most of us are bored of discussing it. You can read the innumerable threads in Google Groups.

    Ted Zieglar

    <TRABEM> wrote in message news:ga9ng1d3g534631fnl962v9lqujq81jufa@4ax.com...
    > It might very well be a scam, but the concept of registry cleaning is
    > a valid one, even in XP.
    >
    > I use Norton Systemworks, which is a suite, which includes a registry
    > checker/cleaner.
    >
    > It finds registry errors all the time, many times finding 20 or 30 per
    > scan. Most software doesn't install cleanly, even WORD and Pagemaker,
    > which are supposed to be above suspicion by reputation:>:
    >
    > I find keys that don't lead anywhere and other assorted problems,
    > especially activeX problems. I can uninstall almost any piece of
    > software and run the scanner, it will be guaranteed to find problems!
    >
    > Even when software isn't uninstalled, there are often 3 or 4 'medium'
    > rated registry problems found.
    >
    > There is a website that specializes in listing security threats that
    > pose as legitimate software. I'll look for it later tonight and email
    > you directly.
    >
    > In the meantime, if this is a scam, you MUST consider anything on your
    > HD has been harvested. I strongly encourage you to get professional
    > help from a local computer shop.
    >
    > The problem might be more serious than you think, especially if you
    > use the computer for online shopping.

    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:57:05 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>It's a scam. You do not need a registry cleaner for Windows XP.
    >>Using a registry cleaner will not do anything positive for
    >>the performance of your computer.
    >>
    >>Many folks who have gone ahead and used a registry cleaner
    >>often visit this newsgroup for help, usually beginning their
    >>question with "Help! Suddenly Windows XP stopped ___________"
    >>(you fill in the blank).

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    VManes wrote:
    > Bruce,
    >
    > I think you're leaning a bit too far out on this topic (much like many of
    > our political organizations today), and the fringe is seldom a good place to
    > be.

    A matter of perspective, I suppose. (I'm not one for sitting on the
    fence - something always comes along to knock you off.) This is sort of
    a sore subject for me. I've seen far too many people effectively
    destroy their system by using these automated "tools." They're simply
    not safe for the average computer user to use.

    > Yes, any working in the Registry is not to be done by someone without some
    > knowledge, and wholesale housecleaning is not for the faint of heart.
    >
    > Yes, the Norton/Symantec prodcuts are a pale imitation of what they once
    > were ( I loved Norton Untilites 4.5 - that was Golden!) Recently, I
    > undertook the task of removing all Symantec products from our two main PCs -
    > mainly because the antispam product was just dogging down the system, not
    > just while working email. Man, what a performance boost!

    Agreed. Symantec's consumer-grade products are simply too resource-hungry.

    > Now, what could some registry cleaner product do that I could not do with
    > RegEdit? Find the hundredSSSS of keys and values that
    > Systemworks/AntiVirus/AntiSpam and especially Live Update left scattered
    > throughout the registry, even after a supposed complete uninstall. I found
    > lots on my own, but Registry First Aid found many many more.

    Regedit's "Find" option has usually been sufficient for me.
    Admittedly, however, a very few decent registry cleaners, when used
    properly by an experienced and knowledgeable technician, can be time
    savers. Unfortunately, these registry cleaners aren't marketed
    exclusively to such skilled people; instead, they're touted to the
    masses as miracle cures.

    > The only programs that do a good job of cleaning up after themselves in the
    > registry with their uninstall are ones that don't make much use of the
    > registry, and even there simple apps still leave lots of flotsam and jetsam
    > around.

    Perhaps, but so what? No one has ever presented any empirical evidense
    proving that the presence of orphaned entries has any measurable
    detrimental effect upon WinXP's performance or stability. I'm a firm
    believer in the old saw, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    > On a system that's been in use going on 3 years now, lots of programs
    > installed and removed over that time, Registry First Aid found about 2000
    > entries that were orphaned, misdirected, or otherwised needed correction or
    > could be deleted.
    >
    > The registry gets to be pretty big, and cutting down the junk in it can
    > improve response time when a program has to go hunt in it for something.

    But, what real, specific *problems* were these 2000 entries causing?
    What specific malfunction(s) did their removal fix? Perhaps (maybe even
    "probably") you did no harm removing some or most of those entries, but
    what good did it do? Was there an immediate, observable performance
    improvement?

    > I'm not saying this is necessary for every user, or needed very often, but
    > in my case it was a useful procedure. And certainly a lot less painful than
    > wiping the drive and reinstalling everything to have cleaner system.

    As I've said, a registry cleaner, in the hands of someone who knows
    what he's doing, can be a useful troubleshooting tool and a great time
    saver. I've never denied that. I just take issue with those who claim
    that automated registry cleaners are perfectly safe and the cure for all
    that ails a computer.

    > ps - Bruce, I've seen your posts here for years, and been helped by your
    > advice more than a few times. Thanks.

    Thank you for the kind words.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hello, As stated by most posters you really do not need a "registry cleaner".
    Buying a cleaner is a true waste of money. If you want to use one then there
    are several free cleaners that do as good a job as any for pay applications.
    RegSeeker and jv16 PowerTools (free) still available.
    As stated backup registry using "Erunt". Use a search engine to find
    applications.
    take care.
    beamish.

    "Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote:

    > I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds of
    > faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM, seems to
    > run fine.
    >
    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
    > 29.95 to fix anything else.
    >
    > Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "The registry gets to be pretty big, and cutting down the junk in it can improve response time when a program has to go hunt in it for something."

    Another widely held misconception (w/r/t Windows XP).

    Ted Zieglar

    "VManes" <vmanes@N0SP&Mrap.midco.net> wrote in message news:5KednfsOcY8GQJbeRVn-uw@midco.net...
> [...]
    > they're still included) cause far more problems then they prevent.
    >

    >> It finds registry errors all the time, many times finding 20 or 30 per
    >> scan. Most software doesn't install cleanly, even WORD and Pagemaker,
    >> which are supposed to be above suspicion by reputation:>:
    >>

    >> I find keys that don't lead anywhere and other assorted problems,
    >> especially activeX problems. I can uninstall almost any piece of
    >> software and run the scanner, it will be guaranteed to find problems!
    >>
    >> Even when software isn't uninstalled, there are often 3 or 4 'medium'
    >> rated registry problems found.
    >>

    > Any thought as to where these registry "errors" are coming from, if
    > you're finding new ones "all the time?" Oh, and what specific problems
    > have any orphaned entries actually caused? Come on, name at least one
    > specific problem that you experienced and couldn't have fixed without

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    beamish wrote:
    > Hello, As stated by most posters you really do not need a "registry cleaner".
    > Buying a cleaner is a true waste of money. If you want to use one then there
    > are several free cleaners that do as good a job as any for pay applications.
    > RegSeeker and jv16 PowerTools (free) still available.
    > As stated backup registry using "Erunt". Use a search engine to find
    > applications.
    > take care.
    > beamish.
    >
    > "Ritter197@Comcast.net" wrote:
    >

    >>I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found hundreds of
    >>faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM, seems to
    >>run fine.
    >>
    >>It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version for $
    >>29.95 to fix anything else.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it?

    I use something called ccleaner. Its a great little freeware that
    *shows you all the temp files etc and allows you to delete them
    *shows any registry links that need fixing (as a result of uninstalling
    etc) and allows them to be fixed
    *it gives you the option to backup the registry before touching it so if
    someone goes wrong (which it hasn't done as a recent of this software in
    the last year+ ive been using it!) then you can restore the registry files.
    *the other handy thing is you can uninstall and clean up those entries
    that linger in the ad/remove list and also view/modify your start up list
    *lastly its soo user friendly!

    I used a number of these so called "free" softwares and like people have
    already mentioned they are scams.

    If your gona use one then find one like mind that is free and has a
    registry backup system built in.

    hope this helps.

    Zankhna
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    NYMarkM wrote:

    > and then if you compact the registry, the system will run faster, etc.

    Please provide independent laboratory documentation in support of this
    claim. To date, no one else has been able to do do.

    > if you don't mind the slow deterioration in speed due to registry buildup.

    Again, please provide documentation to substantiate this claim.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    > *I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found
    > hundreds of
    > faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM,
    > seems to
    > run fine.
    >
    > It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version
    > for $
    > 29.95 to fix anything else.
    >
    > Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it? *

    Hi i tried that one but i prefer windows registry repair, as i think
    it does a better job and has an extra program that you can run that
    defrags the registry and puts all file back in order.

    --
    thedon57
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    How do you get to the Windows XP Pro Registry cleaner and defrag?

    "thedon57" <thedon57.1uhyua@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > Ritter197@Comcast.net wrote:
    >> *I downloaded the free Registry Cleaner and it "supposedly" found
    >> hundreds of
    >> faults, even though my computer, 2.GHz, Windows XP Pro, 512 MB RAM,
    >> seems to
    >> run fine.
    >>
    >> It fixes 50 of the "faults" free but then wants the upgrade version
    >> for $
    >> 29.95 to fix anything else.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have this program and is satisfied with it? *
    >
    > Hi i tried that one but i prefer windows registry repair, as i think
    > it does a better job and has an extra program that you can run that
    > defrags the registry and puts all file back in order.
    >

    > --
    > thedon57

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Hi Bruce,

    I'm just giving my personal experience. The first time that I ever ran a
    registry cleaner, speed difference was quite noticable, and the actual size
    of registry files after compacting the registry went down by about 15%. The
    computer seemed to boot faster and was definitely snappier. I'm not sure
    what test would measure this sort of thing, but it was definitely not
    "placebo effect". I'm assuming that the time savings amounts to the smaller
    size of the registry resulting in faster searches for info within. If you
    know of a test that would be appropriate to measure this, please advise and
    I'll glady run it the next time I've done a lot of installing/uninstalling
    and feel like cleaning and compacting the registry. I'm not looking to
    start a big debate or get into a "show me the test" contest --- just adding
    my personal observations.

    So, I'll add a few more observatios while I'm here...

    I definitely agree with your earlier observation and remarks about the
    dangers of registry cleaners. Unless the user knows what is being
    changed/deleted and why, it's best left alone. That's why, in general, I
    leave the ActiveX portion alone with WinDoctor, since it "finds" a lot of
    "errors" and it's usually just not worth the time it would take to trace
    them all back and make a decision. Just for the heck of it, and after
    backing up the registry first, I went ahead with the default action without
    checking each first, and it really messed up the machine. So, if I do
    delete an entry in ActiveX, I always trace it back first to make sure that
    it is safe.

    One exception to leaving ActiveX alone and a potential benefit of registry
    cleaners is found when uninstalling. If I'm about to uninstall something, I
    run Windoctor and Registry Mechanic FIRST. I then tell them to ignore all
    findings in ActiveX and carefully trace out the others and delete what I
    find safe. I then uninstall the program(s)/game(s) and rerun Windoctor and
    Registry Mechanic. At that point, anything that points off into the void is
    likely due to an incomplete uninstall and probably serving no purpose. I
    suppose that it might be a result of the uninstall doing a bad job of
    pointing a reference back to where it was pre-install, but that's less
    likely. When I trace these things out, they really do seem to be useless
    MOST of the time, but not always. If I'm feeling brave (and lucky), I then
    nuke those entries that appear to be useless. All of this is too much for
    the average user and is bordering on too much for me (as a
    hobbyist/enthusiast) to handle, which is why when people at work ask me to
    recommend a "good" registry cleaner, I first advise them to leave it alone.
    If they persist, though, I always steer them to Registry Mechanic, since it
    seems to avoid almost all of the ActiveX "findings" that other more
    agressive cleaners report. I'm not convinced that the old fashioned way of
    doing a manual cleaning of individual programs by going in with Regedit is
    better or worse. The plus with the registry cleaners is that they flag what
    you should/could be looking at, so you don't have to find it all yourself,
    so it becomes a matter of semantics. I suppose that I'm an advocate of
    using regedit and only deleting or fixing what you know to be problems --- I
    just use the various registry cleaners to "cheat" by marking the entries for
    me to look at with Regedit !!!

    Another way to get around the registry bloat when there is a lot of
    installing/uninstalling going on is to simply do a fresh restore of a basic
    working image. I've burned to DVD an image of WinXP with MSOffice Pro 2003
    and some specialized programs for work, all with the most recent battery of
    patches and updates that are available at the time. I just recently
    restored that image and only had to reinstall the current version of
    firewall and antivirus, etc, plus the one or two games that I'm currently
    playing with my kids (Myst fans). This really is less timeconsuming than it
    sounds. If it gets to the point that there are just too many patches to
    reapply, then I do another fresh install and base image. Building a base
    image can be done a few CD's at a time on a spare partition, while keeping
    the active partition intact and running. There are more partition managers,
    boot managers, and disk imagers out there than you shake the proverbial
    stick at, so I'll avoid mentioning any by name, since the differences are
    really minor. I also keep a weekly, rotating, full disk image of all my
    computers. I put these on USB2 Hard Disks. I have one dedicated to each
    computer, plus one hooked to the wireless LAN/internet connection, with
    appropriate password protection, etc. The LAN disk allows everyone to sync
    and backup their My Documents folder on a daily basis so that they are
    covered in between the weekly image. Of note, it's important to power down
    the USB disk dedicated to each machine when not actively doing an image,
    since a virus strike could otherwise wipe both your hard drive and the
    backup image!!! If the USB disk is powered down, then the image is safe.

    But I think that the bottom line is to leave the registry alone unless you
    know what you are doing (or like to experiment and have the time on your
    hands to fix what you mess up). If you do have the knowledge and time to
    trace out and confirm the findings of the various cleaners and only
    implement those that you can confirm to be safe, then there appears to be a
    speed and stability benefit if you do a lot of installing/uninstalling. (I'm
    not sure of how to measure this, though, but in a system that has not been
    "maintained", the difference IMHO is so big that you can't miss it). If all
    of the checking, confirming, and cleaning is too much technically and
    time-wise for the end user, then restoring a working base image, or simply a
    manual install from the CDs, every couple of years is likely of benefit.
    Windows has come a long way since Win95 and a good install/configuration
    will remain stable and usuable for years, but WinXP may benefit from
    maintanence every so often, but in a conservative manner.

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Mark

Registry Cleaner Microsoft Windows XP