ntoskrnl.exe

Any help please my comp failed to boot saying ntoskrnl.exe missing or
corrupt
I tried to expand from xp cd initially it said select operating system and
admin password, but crashed, trying again just gets me access denied message
Regards Jimbo
Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, ccù la linterna va circannù guai:
He who doesn't mind his own business
uses his lantern to look for trouble.
10 answers Last reply
More about ntoskrnl

    See MS article
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
    Configuration Problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

    References for Recovery Console:
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

    Press the Tab key or press the Enter key at the password prompt if your
    admin account had no password.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Jimbo" wrote
    > Any help please my comp failed to boot saying ntoskrnl.exe missing or
    > corrupt
    > I tried to expand from xp cd initially it said select operating system and
    > admin password, but crashed, trying again just gets me access denied
    > message
    > Regards Jimbo
    > Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, ccù la linterna va circannù guai:
    > He who doesn't mind his own business
    > uses his lantern to look for trouble.

    In news:O3Fq2UCqFHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Maurice N ~ MVP <maurice@mvps.org> scribed:

    Hi Maurice

    I thought all I had to do was pop in the xp cd and repair windows but after
    Id got to the repair console and chose my os and hit enter when asked for
    the admin password I couldnt remember what to do next so I exited the
    console and looked it up on internet on another computer. I found this site

    I began working through these solutions in order. The next time I entered
    the console I wasnt asked for OS or password and havent been asked again.
    When I tried to copy ntoskrnl told access denied.

    Didnt know how to edit the boot.ini so just ran FIXBOOT which made no
    difference to situation. After this ran chkdsk /r but after 6 hours had only
    completed 58% and had been at same point for 3 hours so I switched laptop
    off thinking I would be quicker just running Repair and get the machine up
    and going again as I have lots of work to complete.

    So re entered console and tried to run bootcfg /rebuild but said could do
    this until chkdsk had completed so rebooted again to run repair ( had done
    this already some months previous and worked fine) entered console again
    this time pressed enter, then F8 at MS Win XP agreement but OS did not
    appear in list (just partition and size, worryingly it says the free space
    is the size of drive) and there was no repair option just setup or delete
    partition.

    Have I messed up the boot.ini by running fixboot from repair console? and
    can you help me fix it?

    Thanks for your help

    Regards

    Gary

    Gary,
    I think it's likely time for you to take the laptop to a repair shop. I am afraid it is likely very messed up.

    Your very last attempt seems to have been at a repair install, and after the License agreement, you should have seen this:
    "To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R".
    and an option to install a fresh Windows XP. With options: F3 to quit, R to Repair, and ESC (which would begin a new setup & effectively overwrite your existing system ).

    Does the laptop have a diskette drive? and do you have access to another system with XP on it?

    When you went to the Recovery Console, did you use "Administrator" as the login name?
    Can you try that now ---- only to see if you can login to the Recovery Console?
    Press the Tab key or press the Enter key at the password prompt if your
    Administrator account had no password.

    If you can login, great --- post back, don't jump ahead.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    In news:ucOCIOEqFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Maurice N ~ MVP <maurice@mvps.org> scribed:
    > Gary,
    > I think it's likely time for you to take the laptop to a repair
    > shop. I am afraid it is likely very messed up.
    >
    > Your very last attempt seems to have been at a repair install,
    > and after the License agreement, you should have seen this:
    > "To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R".
    > and an option to install a fresh Windows XP. With options: F3
    > to quit, R to Repair, and ESC (which would begin a new setup &
    > effectively overwrite your existing system ).
    >
    > Does the laptop have a diskette drive? and do you have access
    > to another system with XP on it?
    >
    > When you went to the Recovery Console, did you use
    > "Administrator" as the login name?
    > Can you try that now ---- only to see if you can login to the
    > Recovery Console?
    > Press the Tab key or press the Enter key at the password
    > prompt if your
    > Administrator account had no password.
    >
    > If you can login, great --- post back, don't jump ahead.
    >

    > Jimbo wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi Maurice
    > >
    > > I thought all I had to do was pop in the xp cd and repair
    > > windows but after Id got to the repair console and chose my
    > > os and hit enter when asked for the admin password I couldnt
    > > remember what to do next so I exited the console and looked
    > > it up on internet on another computer. I found this site
    > > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm
    > >
    > > I began working through these solutions in order. The next
    > > time I entered the console I wasnt asked for OS or password
    > > and havent been asked again. When I tried to copy ntoskrnl
    > > told access denied.
    > >
    > > Didnt know how to edit the boot.ini so just ran FIXBOOT which
    > > made no difference to situation. After this ran chkdsk /r but
    > > after 6 hours had only completed 58% and had been at same
    > > point for 3 hours so I switched laptop off thinking I would
    > > be quicker just running Repair and get the machine up and
    > > going again as I have lots of work to complete.
    > >
    > > So re entered console and tried to run bootcfg /rebuild but
    > > said could do this until chkdsk had completed so rebooted
    > > again to run repair ( had done this already some months
    > > previous and worked fine) entered console again this time
    > > pressed enter, then F8 at MS Win XP agreement but OS did not
    > > appear in list (just partition and size, worryingly it says
    > > the free space is the size of drive) and there was no repair
    > > option just setup or delete partition.
    > >
    > > Have I messed up the boot.ini by running fixboot from repair
    > > console? and can you help me fix it?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Gary

    Maurice N
    I was working with Gary
    I managed to complete the chdsk, which got to 75% then reported
    "unrecoverable errors on disk"

    He has backed up all of his WORK elsewhere but has many pictures that he
    would like to keep (Like he has saved his work but left his three years
    family holiday pics on)
    I reckon his hdd is f**** broken
    Do you reckon I could use his hdd as a slave (removed and conected with
    USB)and find/save his pics as I would then be looking at a storage device
    that may not be able to run winxp but would still have other folders

    Thank you for all your effort in this, I am a semi literate user and think
    this is the only way to go now to save anything other than using a
    professional service to recover files

    The only serious problem here now is to save pics,
    Twice in the past three months he has had to use repair, which to me as an
    beginner points to a dying hdd
    My thoughts now are try to use the hdd as a slave on my m/c and transfer any
    folders available, format his hdd and re-intstall winxp though to get a new
    hdd first
    would be desirable

    Again thank you for your time and effort, any advice appreciated

    Regards Jimbo
    Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, ccù la linterna va circannù
    guai: He who doesn't mind his own business
    uses his lantern to look for trouble.

    If you can manage to hook up the HD to another system, then you could try using the "other" system's Windows Explorer to look for the files, and copy them to the other HD or perhaps burn them to CD.

    Before the old HD is reused, you must run HD diagnostic utility. If the reliability of this drive is questionable, a new HD is called for.

    BTW, formatting a HD before setting up XP is not needed. XP setup will do that as part of a new install.

    You did not answer my last 2 questions: Does this have a diskette drive? Are you able to login Recovery Console as I last mentioned.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    In news:ur%236GZFqFHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    > > I reckon his hdd is f**** broken
    > > Do you reckon I could use his hdd as a slave (removed and
    > > conected with USB)and find/save his pics as I would then be
    > > looking at a storage device that may not be able to run winxp
    > > but would still have other folders
    > >
    > > Thank you for all your effort in this, I am a semi literate
    > > user and think this is the only way to go now to save
    > > anything other than using a professional service to recover
    > > files
    > >
    > > The only serious problem here now is to save pics,
    > > Twice in the past three months he has had to use repair,
    > > which to me as an beginner points to a dying hdd
    > > My thoughts now are try to use the hdd as a slave on my m/c
    > > and transfer any folders available, format his hdd and
    > > re-intstall winxp though to get a new hdd first
    > > would be desirable
    > >
    > > Again thank you for your time and effort, any advice

    Snip
    You did not answer my last 2 questions: Does this have a diskette drive?
    Are you able to login Recovery Console as I last mentioned.
    End Snip
    No diskette drive, ( but I could put files onto a cdrom )
    There is a Winxp mc available which is what I am using

    Unable to login to recovery console since first incorrect attempt
    (the very first attempt offered login which he did then enter password
    which he left blank and hit enter) Part way through chdsk he switched
    m/c off, since then there is no loggin available, and says can not run until
    chdsk completed,
    trying to expand and copy ntoskrnl from d: to c: just gives access denied

    I have managed to re-run chdsk, after 2 hrs it says 75% complete (40GB
    drive)
    disk has unrecoverable errors and offers the c: prompt

    Thank you
> [...]

    > > I reckon his hdd is f**** broken
    > > Do you reckon I could use his hdd as a slave (removed and
    > > conected with USB)and find/save his pics as I would then be
    > > looking at a storage device that may not be able to run winxp
    > > but would still have other folders
    > >
    > > Thank you for all your effort in this, I am a semi literate
    > > user and think this is the only way to go now to save
    > > anything other than using a professional service to recover
    > > files
    > >
    > > The only serious problem here now is to save pics,
    > > Twice in the past three months he has had to use repair,
    > > which to me as an beginner points to a dying hdd
    > > My thoughts now are try to use the hdd as a slave on my m/c
    > > and transfer any folders available, format his hdd and
    > > re-intstall winxp though to get a new hdd first
    > > would be desirable
    > >
    > > Again thank you for your time and effort, any advice

    Hi Maurice N

    Well he took it to the comp shop, where they formatted the hdd and his
    wallet

    Many thanks for the time you spent on this, I can only offer you "Virtual
    Hob Knobs"
    --
    Regards Jimbo
    Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, ccù la linterna va circannù
    guai: He who doesn't mind his own business
    uses his lantern to look for trouble.

    Big ouch. Sorry to hear that. It's an occurence like this when folks
    appreciate the value of having offline backups of their system, as a
    minimum. On a regular schedule. Also, having a disk image of all
    partitions on the HD.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    "Jimbo" wrote

    > Hi Maurice N
    >
    > Well he took it to the comp shop, where they formatted the hdd and his
    > wallet
    >
    > Many thanks for the time you spent on this, I can only offer you "Virtual
    > Hob Knobs"
    > --
    > Regards Jimbo
    > Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, ccù la linterna va circannù
    > guai: He who doesn't mind his own business
    > uses his lantern to look for trouble.

    Hi Maurice

    firstly no floppy drive:(

    Removed HD and fitted in USB case and tried to read from another XP machine
    but HD just spun and wouldnt show as drive on machine while other drives in
    case did?

    Well I explained to the guy what I'd done over the phone and he led me to
    believe there were other options available for getting ntoskrnl on to the
    system and to bring it down.
    Basically he tried the Dir command from repair console but all it would say
    was "directory of c:" and then tried to use cd command but nothing happened.
    He tried another couple of commands to check/sort the boot file but didn't
    run chkdsk again for more than 4 min before then declaring the HD knackered
    said that if I left it with him he would try and rebuild windows and if the
    HD was goosed then I wouldnt have to pay anything!

    So by now Im half convinced the HD might be knackered and the rest of me is
    thinking wait a minute he gave me the immpression he was gonna fix it in 5
    minutes the way he spoke on the phone Now he wants to keep it for a while
    .......No thanks.....he'll have the HD swithched for a dud.

    So I asked him if all he was going to do to test it was reinstall XP I could
    do that at home. The he said we could try and did it in there and then. I
    let him as the MAJORITY of my photos and all my work was backed up I agreed
    to test the HD rather than pay more money to recover 200 or so family photos
    from this year that weren't yet on cd!

    So WindowsXP (from my cd) installed and booted no problem he added service
    pack 2 Then told me that the boot sector and the registry and the OS must
    have been pretty corrupt and charged me £45 for the pleasure.

    Since I got home I checked the drive for errors and got a couple of data
    errors but they sorted and the free space 36gig took around an hour but
    seems fine. So now I'm thinking that since the HD is OK perhaps data might
    have still been recoverable???? If I'd tried connecting it up on IDE cable
    with adaptor to Pc perhaps damn too late NOW

    Anyhow thanks for all your help

    regards

    Gary

    Gary, YW. If you don't have a disk imaging software, invest in one.
    www.bootitng.com Disk imaging & partioning as well. Backup is your pc's
    best friend.
    --
    Maurice N