USB Device Malfunction

Hello Everyone,

I have a recurring issue with two users here at work. Everyday, about once
every two hours, they receive the error: A USB device has malfunctioned, it
is not recognized, blah blah. This occurs without plugging in a device or
anything, it just pops up out of nowhere. When you click to troubleshoot, it
shows and Unknown Device. I have uninstalled the Unknown Device, but the
error will come back the following day. Does anyone have any idea what may be
causing this issue.

For whats its worth, the problem occurs when the user is docked, as well as
undocked.

I even tried uninstalled all Root USB hubs, and letting windows redetect,
this was unsuccessful.
3 answers Last reply
More about device malfunction

    What USB devices do they already have installed on their PCs? Is this 2
    separate PCs?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Dr. Gross" <DrGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I have a recurring issue with two users here at work. Everyday, about once
    > every two hours, they receive the error: A USB device has malfunctioned,
    > it
    > is not recognized, blah blah. This occurs without plugging in a device or
    > anything, it just pops up out of nowhere. When you click to troubleshoot,
    > it
    > shows and Unknown Device. I have uninstalled the Unknown Device, but the
    > error will come back the following day. Does anyone have any idea what may
    > be
    > causing this issue.
    >
    > For whats its worth, the problem occurs when the user is docked, as well
    > as
    > undocked.
    >
    > I even tried uninstalled all Root USB hubs, and letting windows redetect,
    > this was unsuccessful.

    yes this is two different PCs,that use similar devices. They both use a USB
    mouse, and have one sync cable for a Treo 650. At times, both have used a
    memory stick. It does not matter if these devices are connected or not, the
    message will still come up. I recently had one user put the memory stick back
    in, and safely remove it using the safely remove hardware wizard and he has
    not had the USB message since.

    Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > What USB devices do they already have installed on their PCs? Is this 2
    > separate PCs?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Dr. Gross" <DrGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello Everyone,
    > >
    > > I have a recurring issue with two users here at work. Everyday, about once
    > > every two hours, they receive the error: A USB device has malfunctioned,
    > > it
    > > is not recognized, blah blah. This occurs without plugging in a device or
    > > anything, it just pops up out of nowhere. When you click to troubleshoot,
    > > it
    > > shows and Unknown Device. I have uninstalled the Unknown Device, but the
    > > error will come back the following day. Does anyone have any idea what may
    > > be
    > > causing this issue.
    > >
    > > For whats its worth, the problem occurs when the user is docked, as well
    > > as
    > > undocked.
    > >
    > > I even tried uninstalled all Root USB hubs, and letting windows redetect,
    > > this was unsuccessful.

    Seems like it's the drivers for the memory stick card reader that might be
    the cause.
    --

    > yes this is two different PCs,that use similar devices. They both use a
    > USB
    > mouse, and have one sync cable for a Treo 650. At times, both have used a
    > memory stick. It does not matter if these devices are connected or not,
    > the
    > message will still come up. I recently had one user put the memory stick
    > back
    > in, and safely remove it using the safely remove hardware wizard and he
    > has
    > not had the USB message since.
    >
    > Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help

USB Devices Windows XP