scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i think progressive scan should become a standard feature of new video cards. for those of us who have seen the difference progressive scan makes on dvd movies and how much dvds are being watched on computers these days don't you think the same thing? and for those who don't know about progressive scan, you are missing out.

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Where have you been these last few years? All monitors and graphics cards are non-interlaced as in they support progressive scan. This has been around with PC for years now.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
i think i didn't make my self very clear. i'm talking about dvds only. if you see a dvd player with progressive scan you'll see what i'm talking about. a dvd rom can't do the job so it would have to be the video card. i know both on dvd players with progressive scan and monitors and video cards progressive scan is supported, but the progressive scan on a dvd player is a bit different. you can see the difference when you watch dvd movies on your computer and a dvd player with progressive scan. they are not the same.

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking and i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
um, what are you talking about? The DVDs are in interlaced format by default!! The computer has to de-interlaced them. There are two common ways of de-interlacing DVDs, Bob and weave. I believe you are comparing these to a progressive scan standalone DVD player? Anyway, ATI uses a superior form of de-interlacing that is called adaptive interlacing and the Radeon 8500, uses a special filter called a temporal filter to ensure that there is no jumpy motion on the computer monitor and that it is aligned with the computer refresh rate. I believe this is done by interpolating transitions between each frame. This I believe is similar to the way motion compensation works. In motion compensation, the graphics card would interpolate the difference between each frame. This allows the CPU to do less work in less action filled scenes.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
cool. this time you know exactly what i'm talking about. yeah i saw what the radeon can do and was very impressed. i love geforce, but their video cards can't play dvds like radeon 8500. so i though it should become standard.

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking and i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>