Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
This is making me insane...
I have FINALLY decided on a MB, I think, In the Soltek SE75DRV 266A, over the Abit or Asus, and now Im wavering on the Vid Card.

My husband wants to get 64 megs, we have an Asus Geforce 2 32 Ram 7700 right now, in THIS system, which we are going to give to the kids when we make our new system, and I am still a little lost as to which card we should go for.

I have most of the rest of the components picked out, and am looking for the best prices, without having to get them from 400 different retailers. Was looking at BareBones systems, still am somewhat, but I AM going to end up making my decision tonight, one way or another.

The main things we do with the puter are game, net surf, and I use it for some graphics editing from time to time.

We are going to get NWN, and Pool of Radiance, and mostly play D2:LoD now. Nothing very Graphic intensive, but I want a Decent card.

Am looking at the Geforce3's, but honestly don't see a need for the moolah with what we USE it for. Have also been looking at the Raedon 8500, but still am not sure, and I couldn't seem to find anything comparing the Vid Cards like Tom did with the Mobos...

Anyone have any suggestions I should look for to help solve more than one of the above Problems?
::grins and sips cappachino patiently::

Good thing I am off work tomorrow :):):)

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fro around $100 you can get a GeForce2 GTS, this is a bargain for it's performance. If you want the new features of the GeForce3, the Ti200 is around $180, but you can get the superior Radeon 8500 for $200.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
::nods and starts looking for the G2Tis::

Thankee Guys!
::hugs::

I was mostly thinking that, I guess I just needed a kick in the thong to get going :>

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Hm
found this for 170..

Gainward/Cardexpet GeForce 3 Ti200

but found THIS for 118...

Winfast Geforce2 Titanium TH 64MB DDR AGP4X W/TVOUT Retail

Demmit
NOW what?

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Kick in the thong? That just gave me warm thoughts all over, oh well.
The gainwood looks better since you'll get dx8 suppoet and a little better performance. I'd say for the long hall go with the gainwood geforce 3 ti200.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember that the GeForce2 Ti is still just a GeForce2, good performaer but no new DX8 features, and a good value if your not looking for the newer features. I would skip right over the Ti200 and get the Radeon 8500 if you plan on spending that much, since the price difference is relatively small.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I agree with Crashman. Radeon 8500 is the best buy. Their latest drivers work very well.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Radeon Pro 7500 64MB with DVI + Tv-out
for 119 ?

RADEON 8500 .OEM $ 184
OEM means it comes with squat right?

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
OEM means white box with card and drivers. Also sometimes means shorter warranty. OEM is ok. Boy, squat sure does mean different things now. I think the way you used it was invented when I was a kid and I understand. Who taught it to you? Grandparents?

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
::thinks::
Squat=sh|t
LOL
yeah I guess it does mean pretty bad
never thought of Squatting and Squat being the same thing :>

So like
What the heck do I choose now?

I can get the Gain for 170 and the Radeon for 184...

GeForce3......
Radeon
GeForce3
Radeon........

::tired head hurts, and still has to decide on sound::

hmmmmm

NVIDIA GeForce 3 Ti 200 - 64MB DDR - AGP
$184.00

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
ok
Went with the Radeon for 186 :>

Got the MB
got the CPU
Got the Case
Got the HD
Got the Sound, Thank you Crash
Got the Vid now...
just gotta figgure out all the rest of the little crap pieces Im gonna need when all the stuff GETS here :>

aw crud.. still need an OS.
::goes looking at prices again::

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Great choice, the Radeon 8500 is a next generation that is sure to improve in performance over time and will probably last you 3 or 4 years to play the latest games decently.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
::bounces::
Wanna see my picks for all the Hardwaaaaaaare? :)

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
SL-75DRV2 DDR -MB
XP 1700+ processor
Aureal SQ2500 Sound--Thankee Crash :)
Enermax, CS-A1QX-02, 2-Tone, 9-Bay, 300W PS, P4, MID Tower Case
MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX PLUS D740X 40GB HDD -7200 speed
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR
gonna get 256-512 megs of ram--still not sure on that one.
gonna stick with 98 for now.
AINT dealing with XP on both my systems just yet :>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'd get 512MB RAM now so you won't have to upgrade again in 6 months. Also, I haven't heard much about that motherboard. Did you buy it already or are you still open to other options?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Already got it.

Was tired of looking, and had seen glowing reports on it everywhere I found it, and it performed MUCH better than the Asus I had originally wanted, and was a bit more stable than the Soyo.

Have two friends that had Soyo's burn, literally burn, out on them, and didn't want to deal with THAT at all.

As far as the 512, WHICH kind should I look at?

Posted a thread in the Memory section with a little more of the selections Im looking at AMD...

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Looks like a nice sys... For mem go crucial. Good choice on the video card

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Thankee :>
And yes, I went for the Crucial.. hard to beat Free shipping, and getting 512 megs for 106 dollars of DDR RAM :>

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
i'm not sure why no one pointed out that an OEM radeon 8500 is clocked lower then a retail radeon 8500. Well just thought i'd let ya know

If someone did, i guess i need to see the eye doctor