Which Radeon 8500?

G

I'm about to upgrade from the aging (but good enough for my second machine) Geforce 2 GTS to an ATI Radeon 8500.

I understand that there are 2 versions of this card. A Retail version and an OEM version.

The OEM version runs at 250 mhz and the retail at 275. (Or is it 300mhz). Correct?

I'm looking at buying the OEM version as it is within my budget unless there is a good reason why I should not.

What difference will the 'mhz' make between the 2 cards? Is that the only differnce between them?

Finally, if they are exactly the same card, clocked differently, can the OEM version be overclocked to 275/300?

Thanks

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the retail R8500 comes with a retail version of half life: counter strike (with truform coded into the game) and two other half life titles.
if you buy the oem...it is possible to over-clock it to retail speeds (275/550...i think).
if you dont o/c the card...then the performance difference is around 10% (with the retail being faster of course)

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

G

The free games don't really interest me. I have just finished Max Payne the second time through and now i'm starting on Wolf. And eagerly awaiting Neverwinter nights and Dungeon Seige.

I should have mentioned in my first post that this card will be going into box with an Athlon XP 1600+.

>>> I read somewere they used lower ns rated ram on the oem 8500's but I(or they) may be wrong.<<<

Is this true. That might change my mind. How much lower and what difference will that make?

>>it is possible to over-clock it to retail speeds (275/550...i think).

That is good. I like overclocking.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Ati radeon 8500 dont run very well with a AMD there a lot of post going around that say ATI/AMD that dont work.
Get sure that the card will work before buy it.I think if you have a SIS chipset this do not apply to you.
If you want it anyway.

OEM radeon 8500 can hit 275/275 maybe even more for the core i have hit 275/275 without a case fan ( wich i will buy soon if there suggestion post your suggestion).I have myself a oem verion it work run perfect.Also i think that is true that radeon OEM use 3.8 NS memory and not 3.6 NS like retail (maybe i wrong on the number).I dont see a reason why not a OEM except if you like big number in 3Dmark.

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&project_type=6&dprid=2108670

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ati radeon 8500 dont run very well with a AMD there a lot of post going around that say ATI/AMD that dont work.
Have you got any links stating that this problem still exists with the latest drivers? Noooooooo!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Oh Ye gods...

PLEASE do not tell me this is true.. I just spent about 14 hours deciding on my whole system, and I got an AMD 1700 AND the Radeon 8500...

::groans::

PROOF I need PROOF!!
;:gaaaaaaaahs::

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It'll work, don't worry. Juin doesn't know what he's talking about. He probably hasn't even tried it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
::sighs HUGELY with relief::

if I have to tweak on it, thats cool, I just wanted to make sure it WORKED hehe

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

G

Thanks so much for all your input.

I have done the deed. I just ordered my Radeon 8500 OEM and 'hopefully' I will have it later today.

I too had my heart sink when I read that the 8500 does not work with AMD chips. The new drivers have already been downloaded and are awaiting installation.

Thanks again.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
The Above mention of for problems with AMD is not and AMD issue, but a VIA issue, however, their are ways around that, especially if you don't buy a soundblaster card (even if you do, we can fix those problems as well. The important thing to do is make sure that your sound card and vidoe card get their own IRQ's. If you do that, you should not have any problems with your card:)

If it works for you then don't fix it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Radeon 8500 OEM has the same memory as the retail card, but at different clock/timign settings. It can usually be overclocked to match the retail card, and in most cases the Retail BIOS can be flashed to the OEM card, making those settings permanent.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?