Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Blurry text

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 24, 2005 8:05:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have an issue that is perplexing me. The text in windows is slightly
blurred, making it hard to read. The resolution and refresh rate don't seem
to dictate it. I know it isn't the monitor because outside of windows the
text is very crisp. The windows drivers seem to work fine for both the
video card (Geforce 3 TI200) and the monitor (Samtron 98BDF). Although
reverting to a PNP driver for the monitor seemed to help a little. I can't
figure it out.

More about : blurry text

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 24, 2005 8:05:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Check in Display Properties, Appearance tab, Effects button, the screen
fonts option. Try with and without the Standard or the ClearType
enchancement - find what works best for you.

Are you using the best choice of resolution for your monitor: (from the
monitor spec sheet)
Resolution: Recommended 1,024 x 768@85Hz
1,280 x 1,024@75Hz
Maximum 1,600 x 1,200@68Hz

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We've secretly switched the dilithium crystals with new Folger's
Crystals...
let's watch what happens."
~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Philburg" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:qmSOe.1159$u_6.536@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
I have an issue that is perplexing me. The text in windows is slightly
blurred, making it hard to read. The resolution and refresh rate don't seem
to dictate it. I know it isn't the monitor because outside of windows the
text is very crisp. The windows drivers seem to work fine for both the
video card (Geforce 3 TI200) and the monitor (Samtron 98BDF). Although
reverting to a PNP driver for the monitor seemed to help a little. I can't
figure it out.
August 24, 2005 11:25:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Same thing last month,it was a july release "hotfix" sorry but I can't
remember which one,uninstalling it corrected the problem.
--
Mike Pawlak


Philburg wrote:
> I have an issue that is perplexing me. The text in windows is
> slightly blurred, making it hard to read. The resolution and refresh
> rate don't seem to dictate it. I know it isn't the monitor because
> outside of windows the text is very crisp. The windows drivers seem
> to work fine for both the video card (Geforce 3 TI200) and the
> monitor (Samtron 98BDF). Although reverting to a PNP driver for the
> monitor seemed to help a little. I can't figure it out.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 24, 2005 8:05:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I did think it was a hotfix because it came up suddenly, and I know hotfixes
tend to break things. I'll see if I can pin it down. The monitor runs at
1024 @ 85 usually. Cleartype is generaly for lcd displays isn't it?
-Philburg


"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23AJ9I7JqFHA.3180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Same thing last month,it was a july release "hotfix" sorry but I can't
> remember which one,uninstalling it corrected the problem.
> --
> Mike Pawlak
>
>
> Philburg wrote:
>> I have an issue that is perplexing me. The text in windows is
>> slightly blurred, making it hard to read. The resolution and refresh
>> rate don't seem to dictate it. I know it isn't the monitor because
>> outside of windows the text is very crisp. The windows drivers seem
>> to work fine for both the video card (Geforce 3 TI200) and the
>> monitor (Samtron 98BDF). Although reverting to a PNP driver for the
>> monitor seemed to help a little. I can't figure it out.
>
>
>
August 24, 2005 8:38:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Philburg <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I did think it was a hotfix because it came up suddenly, and I know hotfixes
> tend to break things. I'll see if I can pin it down. The monitor runs at
> 1024 @ 85 usually. Cleartype is generaly for lcd displays isn't it?
> -Philburg

Yes, Cleartype is intended for LCD's, but some like the way it looks on
CRTs too, it's a personal taste thing.

I would try resetting the Theme completely, in desktop properties.
Choose "Windows XP" theme and click apply, then on the Appearance tab
choose "Windows XP Style", "default (blue)", and "normal fonts". Click
Apply. Go into the "effects" button an uncheck "smooth..". Click OK.

You could try resetting the monitor refresh rate, 70 Hz should be enough.

Does it look any better? If so just go back and review these settings,
switching to personal prefs as needed (large fonts, colors, etc). Don't
forget to save your fav settings as a personal theme.

If this dod not help I'd suspect the video driver - update it w/ one from
the video card vendor's site. You said it was an older GForce card, check
out nVidia's site for an appropriate driver (perhaps not the very latest
tho). [Since this is an older video card, you might try using the driver
recommended by WinUpdate. Generally it's best to get your drivers directly
from the card vendor tho...].

Good Luck.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 24, 2005 9:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I already tried messing with the themes and fonts, and thats why it was
perplexing me. As for a driver, yeah I could try going back to an older
one.

<frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
news:11gp8jt2vb44tc8@corp.supernews.com...
> Philburg <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I did think it was a hotfix because it came up suddenly, and I know
>> hotfixes
>> tend to break things. I'll see if I can pin it down. The monitor runs
>> at
>> 1024 @ 85 usually. Cleartype is generaly for lcd displays isn't it?
>> -Philburg
>
> Yes, Cleartype is intended for LCD's, but some like the way it looks on
> CRTs too, it's a personal taste thing.
>
> I would try resetting the Theme completely, in desktop properties.
> Choose "Windows XP" theme and click apply, then on the Appearance tab
> choose "Windows XP Style", "default (blue)", and "normal fonts". Click
> Apply. Go into the "effects" button an uncheck "smooth..". Click OK.
>
> You could try resetting the monitor refresh rate, 70 Hz should be enough.
>
> Does it look any better? If so just go back and review these settings,
> switching to personal prefs as needed (large fonts, colors, etc). Don't
> forget to save your fav settings as a personal theme.
>
> If this dod not help I'd suspect the video driver - update it w/ one from
> the video card vendor's site. You said it was an older GForce card, check
> out nVidia's site for an appropriate driver (perhaps not the very latest
> tho). [Since this is an older video card, you might try using the driver
> recommended by WinUpdate. Generally it's best to get your drivers directly
> from the card vendor tho...].
>
> Good Luck.
>
!