Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PAL DTV arrived in the mail!

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 1:39:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Hurrah, my PAL DTV arrived in the mail today! I just opened its shipping
box (a Stella Artois box!), and inside it was well-wrapped in bubblewrap.
Is that the way the Argos store chain had sent it to my British friend, or
had my friend repackaged it?
Just an external examination of the PAL DTV package right now. It
comes in the pyramidal packaging of old, in comparison to the current,
octagonal packaging of the NTSC DTV. It is listed as "Item# 89000". On
all four sides and the bottom, it is logoed, "the toy: lobster company"
(yes, no caps). More information on the bottom gives details of Toy
Lobster and Argos:

The Toy: Lobster Company Ltd.
PO Box 2078
Hockley, Essex SS5 4WZ

UK Telephone: 0870 240 8694 (Monday-Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm except Bank
Holidays)

[snip]

If calling from overseas, call: 00 44 1702 208130

c2005, The Toy:Lobster Company Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
www.toylobster.com

Argos Limited

489-499 Avebury Boulevard.
Saxon Gate West,
Central Milton Keynes,
MK) 2NW, U.K.


The DC Studios and Ironstone Partners logos and 2005 copyrights are also
on the package bottom. Also, "C64 and Commodore 64 are trademarks of
COMMODORE INTERNATIONAL BV, used under license."
The informational card on the rear of the packaging tells of
the 30 games in the joystick, some games which are different than the NTSC
DTV. Here is the list:

Impossible Mission
Jumpman Jr
Cybernoid 2
Paradroid
Pitstop 2
Gateway to Apshai
Cyberdyne Warrior
Uridium
California Games Half Pipe
Foot Bag
Surfing
Roller Skating
BMX
Flying Disk

Winter Games Hot Dog
Biathlon
Speed Skating
Figure Skating
Ski Jump
Bobsled

World Games Barrel Jumping
Cliff Diving
Bull Riding
Caber Toss
Sumo Wrestling
Weight Lifting


I'll tell more when I open
the pyramid!
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

More about : pal dtv arrived mail

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 4:33:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, I wrote:

> I just opened its shipping box
> (a Stella Artois box!), and inside it was well-wrapped in bubblewrap. Is that
> the way the Argos store chain had sent it to my British friend, or had my
> friend repackaged it?

My British friend clarified; it came to him in a postal bag (!),
and he repacked it to make it more secure.

> The informational card on the rear of the packaging tells of the 30
> games in the joystick, some games which are different than the NTSC DTV.
> Here is the list:

[snip]

Ay, an Argos sticker covered part of the informational card! When
I opened the pyramidal packaging, the card also listed the following:

Summer Games Pole Vault
Diving
Gymnastics
Skeet Shooting

By the way, Argos sticker read,

BOYS TOYS / ELECTRONIC BOYS

369/1715(D)

P/O 748529

The "Set-up Guide and Play Instructions" in the PAL DTV were
different than the "Installation Guide and Instructions" that came with
the NTSC DTV. The PAL instructions had a 3+ and a 5+ (age?) rating with
a website listed at www.pegi.info The PAL instructions had 4 small
photos showing how to install the batteries, whereas the NTSC instructions
have no such photos. Warning, requirements, and tips for set-up were
basically the same between the two, though the PAL instructions included a
warning paragraph for those who suffer from epilepsy and seizures.

More to report later,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:09:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Bradley wrote:

> Any word on whether these units will reach the shores of down under ????

No, I have no information on that.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 3:01:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Robert Bernardo wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, I wrote:
>
>> I just opened its shipping box (a Stella Artois box!), and inside it
>> was well-wrapped in bubblewrap. Is that the way the Argos store chain
>> had sent it to my British friend, or had my friend repackaged it?
>
>
> My British friend clarified; it came to him in a postal bag (!), and
> he repacked it to make it more secure.
>
>> The informational card on the rear of the packaging tells of the
>> 30 games in the joystick, some games which are different than the NTSC
>> DTV. Here is the list:
>
>
> [snip]
>
> Ay, an Argos sticker covered part of the informational card! When I
> opened the pyramidal packaging, the card also listed the following:
>
> Summer Games Pole Vault
> Diving
> Gymnastics
> Skeet Shooting
>
> By the way, Argos sticker read,
>
> BOYS TOYS / ELECTRONIC BOYS
>
> 369/1715(D)
>
> P/O 748529
>
> The "Set-up Guide and Play Instructions" in the PAL DTV were
> different than the "Installation Guide and Instructions" that came with
> the NTSC DTV. The PAL instructions had a 3+ and a 5+ (age?) rating with
> a website listed at www.pegi.info The PAL instructions had 4 small
> photos showing how to install the batteries, whereas the NTSC
> instructions have no such photos. Warning, requirements, and tips for
> set-up were basically the same between the two, though the PAL
> instructions included a warning paragraph for those who suffer from
> epilepsy and seizures.
>
> More to report later,
> Robert Bernardo
> Fresno Commodore User Group
> http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Any word on whether these units will reach the shores of down under ????
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:12:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

REMOVE (REMOVE) wrote:
> Any word on whether these units will reach the shores of down under ????

It may take a writing campaign. I'd try Dick Smith's, they can work on
lower volumes than KMart, Target, Big W etc. and they already carry an
Atari Classics DTV box.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:34:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

The PAL DTV's exterior looks virtually the same as the NTSC
DTV's exterior. On the bottom of the PAL DTV casing, it still has the
2004 Mammoth / N.S.I. copyright. It has a number engraved in the bottom -
050709. The labeling on top is all the same - the same, painted ABCD
letters by their respective buttons, the reset label in relief, the same
Mammoth Toys sticker, the same L/R painted next to the fire buttons, and
the italicized C=64 sticker facing the a/v cord.
After I load 4 lithium AA 1.5 volt batteries into the DTV and plug
the a/v cable into a 13-inch Magnavox RGB Monitor 80 switched to composite
(CVBS), I power up the DTV and the monitor. Definitely, I have a PAL
DTV; the NTSC monitor outputs black-and-white video and has a moderate
case of vertical rolling. The Magnavox has no apparent vertical roll
control, and so, I go to my NTSC Sears 20-inch t.v./RGB/composite monitor.
My Sansui DVD recorder is connected to the Sears; I connect the PAL DTV to
the input jacks of the DVD recorder and turn on the Sears, Sansui, and
DTV. Success! The opening C= screen appears in color; I won't have to
break out my PAL t.v./monitor out of storage.
However, the start-up of the PAL DTV is different. After the
first 4-second C= screen, there appears a DC Studios splash screen for 4
seconds, followed by "the toy: lobster company" logo screen for 4 seconds,
followed by a Mammoth Toys logo for 4 seconds, and followed by the
copyrights screen for 6 seconds. The 2005 copyrights screen has the
same listing of companies: Mammoth Toys, Digital Concepts DC Studios,
Ironstone Partners Ltd, and the Toy: Lobster Company Ltd. In comparison,
the NTSC DTV just has the 4-second C= screen followed by a 6-second 2004
copyrights screen. Both the NTSC and PAL DTVs have the opening C64
desktop with the animated LOAD"*",8,1 / RUN sequence which kicks them into
the games selection screen. From power-up to the games selection screen, the
PAL DTV takes 39-40 seconds. The NTSC DTV takes 20 seconds.
The PAL DTV's games selection screen has the same music,
horizontally-scrolling starfield, and message scrolly (though I will be
studying the message scroll to see if there are really any changes). The
DTV's output is clear and stable. The joystick feels adequate, i.e, it
responds well in all 4 directions.

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, I wrote:

> The informational card on the rear of the packaging tells of the 30
> games in the joystick, some games which are different than the NTSC DTV.

On the PAL DTV's games selection screen, there are a number of
games not listed on the informational card of the DTV's packaging. The
selection menu has the following games:

Alleykat
California Games
Championship Wrestling
Cyberdyne Warrior
Cybernoid
Cybernoid II
Eliminator
Exolon
Firelord
Gateway to Apshai
Head the Ball
Impossible Mission
Impossible Mission 2
Jumpman Jr.
Marauder
Maze Mania
Mission Impossibubble
Nebulus
Netherworld
Paradroid
Pitstop
Pitstop 2
Ranarama
Speedball
Summer Games
SuperCycle
Sword of Fargoal
Uridium
Winter Games
Zynaps

The PAL DTV's "Set-up Guide and Play Instructions" have abbreviated
instructions for all of the above games and for the games "within the
games", i.e., California Games, Summer Games, and Winter Games.
However, the informational card also lists the World Games, which
includes Barrel Jumping, Cliff Diving, Bull Riding, Caber Toss, Sumo
Wrestling, and Weight Lifting. Neither the PAL DTV's games selection menu
nor the instructions have the World Games!
Even more of a surprise... I could not access the "secret"
second screen! In the NTSC DTV, upon start-up, you must waggle the
joystick from left to right, and this would give you a C64 desktop with
the animated command sequence, LOAD"$",8 and LIST. From there, you could
access the BASIC prompt with its virtual keyboard, play 6 extra games,
and issue commands to get you to various hidden features (Easter eggs).
On the PAL DTV, I tried 7 times to get to the second screen, but the
start-up sequence was the same -- no second screen, just the eventual
games selection screen.
That leaves several questions. What has happened to World Games?
Is the secret second DTV screen still there? If it is, how is it now
accessed? If it not there, how are the Easter eggs accessed? Are the
Easter eggs still there?

I remember Jeri telling me that
several Easter eggs would be removed,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:57:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Bradley wrote:

> Oh yeah.. is the device ambidexterous ? I bloody hate playing most of these
> DTV devices being a left-hander....

There is a left firebutton and a right firebutton.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 11:17:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:34:11 -0400, Robert Bernardo wrote:

<big snip>

> Even more of a surprise... I could not access the "secret"
> second screen! In the NTSC DTV, upon start-up, you must waggle the
> joystick from left to right, and this would give you a C64 desktop with
> the animated command sequence, LOAD"$",8 and LIST. From there, you could
> access the BASIC prompt with its virtual keyboard, play 6 extra games,
> and issue commands to get you to various hidden features (Easter eggs).
> On the PAL DTV, I tried 7 times to get to the second screen, but the
> start-up sequence was the same -- no second screen, just the eventual
> games selection screen.
> That leaves several questions. What has happened to World Games?
> Is the secret second DTV screen still there? If it is, how is it now
> accessed? If it not there, how are the Easter eggs accessed? Are the
> Easter eggs still there?

I found the best way is to start waggling on the copyright screen, not to
fast, about 5-8 times a second and keep doing so until you see the DTV type
LOAD"$",8. Or if you reset the unit while playing oron the menu and start
waggling straight away works too. As for the easter eggs I haven't gone
thrugh them all but Entropy isn't there and some people have said that some
of the pics are missing bus the minigames are there.

1451 acces works, just that the pins are not labeled as such, but take a
ganders at the "Any word on the PAL version" thread on the dtvhacking board
and to get a PS/2 keyboard to work you have to hold LCTRL down as you power
up/reset. Also if you have a 1541 or KB attached when you reset from a
game or the menu you have to go thrugh all the logos and copyright stuff
again while normally you would just get whe LOADING bit (this can be
speedloaded by holding FIRE down, shame you can't skip the logos this way).

Any news on this ROM flashing malarky?

--
If cooling an A64 is like blowing on your soup to cool it off,
cooling a P4 is trying the same thing with lava.
Please change 'no.spam' to 'jcomcp.plus' to reply.
----- http://jcom.shorturl.com ----
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:01:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:17:55 +0100, John Moore wrote:

Argh, why do my replies keep ending up here? I gotta go back to USNET
school for a refersher course. ^_^

--
If cooling an A64 is like blowing on your soup to cool it off,
cooling a P4 is trying the same thing with lava.
Please change 'no.spam' to 'jcomcp.plus' to reply.
----- http://jcom.shorturl.com ----
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:00:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

agila61@netscape.net wrote:
> REMOVE (REMOVE) wrote:
>
>>Any word on whether these units will reach the shores of down under ????
>
>
> It may take a writing campaign. I'd try Dick Smith's, they can work on
> lower volumes than KMart, Target, Big W etc. and they already carry an
> Atari Classics DTV box.
>
You are referring to the Atari Flashback ? That is everywhere here in Oz
though. The best place I've been to is Target who have an extensive
selection of Direct-To-TV game packages. My best guess is that if
anywhere I will see it there first. Or some online store gets them in &
sells them at a huge markup.... or there is always EBay...
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:02:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.cbm,alt.c64,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Robert Bernardo wrote:
> The PAL DTV's exterior looks virtually the same as the NTSC DTV's
> exterior. On the bottom of the PAL DTV casing, it still has the 2004
> Mammoth / N.S.I. copyright. It has a number engraved in the bottom -
> 050709. The labeling on top is all the same - the same, painted ABCD
> letters by their respective buttons, the reset label in relief, the same
> Mammoth Toys sticker, the same L/R painted next to the fire buttons, and
> the italicized C=64 sticker facing the a/v cord.
> After I load 4 lithium AA 1.5 volt batteries into the DTV and plug
> the a/v cable into a 13-inch Magnavox RGB Monitor 80 switched to
> composite (CVBS), I power up the DTV and the monitor. Definitely, I
> have a PAL DTV; the NTSC monitor outputs black-and-white video and has a
> moderate case of vertical rolling. The Magnavox has no apparent
> vertical roll control, and so, I go to my NTSC Sears 20-inch
> t.v./RGB/composite monitor. My Sansui DVD recorder is connected to the
> Sears; I connect the PAL DTV to the input jacks of the DVD recorder and
> turn on the Sears, Sansui, and DTV. Success! The opening C= screen
> appears in color; I won't have to break out my PAL t.v./monitor out of
> storage.
> However, the start-up of the PAL DTV is different. After the first
> 4-second C= screen, there appears a DC Studios splash screen for 4
> seconds, followed by "the toy: lobster company" logo screen for 4
> seconds, followed by a Mammoth Toys logo for 4 seconds, and followed by
> the copyrights screen for 6 seconds. The 2005 copyrights screen has the
> same listing of companies: Mammoth Toys, Digital Concepts DC Studios,
> Ironstone Partners Ltd, and the Toy: Lobster Company Ltd. In
> comparison, the NTSC DTV just has the 4-second C= screen followed by a
> 6-second 2004 copyrights screen. Both the NTSC and PAL DTVs have the
> opening C64 desktop with the animated LOAD"*",8,1 / RUN sequence which
> kicks them into the games selection screen. From power-up to the games
> selection screen, the PAL DTV takes 39-40 seconds. The NTSC DTV takes
> 20 seconds.
> The PAL DTV's games selection screen has the same music,
> horizontally-scrolling starfield, and message scrolly (though I will be
> studying the message scroll to see if there are really any changes).
> The DTV's output is clear and stable. The joystick feels adequate, i.e,
> it responds well in all 4 directions.
>
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, I wrote:
>
>> The informational card on the rear of the packaging tells of the
>> 30 games in the joystick, some games which are different than the NTSC
>> DTV.
>
>
> On the PAL DTV's games selection screen, there are a number of games
> not listed on the informational card of the DTV's packaging. The
> selection menu has the following games:
>
> Alleykat
> California Games
> Championship Wrestling
> Cyberdyne Warrior
> Cybernoid
> Cybernoid II
> Eliminator
> Exolon
> Firelord
> Gateway to Apshai
> Head the Ball
> Impossible Mission
> Impossible Mission 2
> Jumpman Jr.
> Marauder
> Maze Mania
> Mission Impossibubble
> Nebulus
> Netherworld
> Paradroid
> Pitstop
> Pitstop 2
> Ranarama
> Speedball
> Summer Games
> SuperCycle
> Sword of Fargoal
> Uridium
> Winter Games
> Zynaps
>
> The PAL DTV's "Set-up Guide and Play Instructions" have abbreviated
> instructions for all of the above games and for the games "within the
> games", i.e., California Games, Summer Games, and Winter Games.
> However, the informational card also lists the World Games, which
> includes Barrel Jumping, Cliff Diving, Bull Riding, Caber Toss, Sumo
> Wrestling, and Weight Lifting. Neither the PAL DTV's games selection
> menu nor the instructions have the World Games!
> Even more of a surprise... I could not access the "secret" second
> screen! In the NTSC DTV, upon start-up, you must waggle the joystick
> from left to right, and this would give you a C64 desktop with the
> animated command sequence, LOAD"$",8 and LIST. From there, you could
> access the BASIC prompt with its virtual keyboard, play 6 extra games,
> and issue commands to get you to various hidden features (Easter eggs).
> On the PAL DTV, I tried 7 times to get to the second screen, but the
> start-up sequence was the same -- no second screen, just the eventual
> games selection screen.
> That leaves several questions. What has happened to World Games? Is
> the secret second DTV screen still there? If it is, how is it now
> accessed? If it not there, how are the Easter eggs accessed? Are the
> Easter eggs still there?
>
> I remember Jeri telling me that
> several Easter eggs would be removed,
> Robert Bernardo
> Fresno Commodore User Group
> http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Oh yeah.. is the device ambidexterous ? I bloody hate playing most of
these DTV devices being a left-hander....
!