NORTON????

Tags:
  • Norton
  • Windows XP
August 24, 2005 8:57:39 AM

Hello Everyone,
Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove Programs,
it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes more than
the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not remember what
to do. Thank you all in advance.
Buzz
P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton.

More about : norton

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:59:24 PM

"Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p MydnUDihLYZq5HeRVn-qA@comcast.com...
> Hello Everyone,
> Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
> Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
> Programs, it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes
> more than the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not
> remember what to do. Thank you all in advance.
> Buzz
> P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
> ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton.

Sorry, can't advise on how to remove Norton, but just an observation. I've
not used Norton Internet Security but my understanding is that it includes
anti-virus as well as firewall. Replacing it with ZoneAlarm or Sygate
Firewall would be fine, but *don't forget about anti-virus*. There are many
good ones out there - and a number which are free for personal use, such as
AVG and Avast.

Hope you manage to get rid of Norton. I've heard it doesn't like to be
removed.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:12:20 PM

One reason that it doesn not completely remove itself. It integrates too
much into Windows.

> "Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p MydnUDihLYZq5HeRVn-qA@comcast.com...
>> Hello Everyone,
>> Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
>> Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
>> Programs, it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes
>> more than the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not
>> remember what to do. Thank you all in advance.
>> Buzz
>> P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
>> ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton.
>>
> Did you go to their website and download their removal tool?
>
> FWIW, there is no other product on the market that can give you the level
> of protection that NIS can.
>

> Bobby

August 24, 2005 3:14:15 PM

Sygate was recently purchased by Symantec. It may end-up disappearing.

Zone Alarm is not bad. However, a lot of other people hate it because it is
own by a division of Checpoint (another firewall maker.)

"Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p MydnUDihLYZq5HeRVn-qA@comcast.com...
>> Hello Everyone,
>> Can someone please tell me how to completely remove Norton Internet
>> Security from my computer??? I have already tried Add and Remove
>> Programs, it did not remove it. I know from past experience that it takes
>> more than the add and remove programs, but after two strokes I can not
>> remember what to do. Thank you all in advance.
>> Buzz
>> P.S. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all up dates, and will install
>> ZoneAlarm or Sygate Firewall instead of Norton.
>
> Sorry, can't advise on how to remove Norton, but just an observation. I've
> not used Norton Internet Security but my understanding is that it includes
> anti-virus as well as firewall. Replacing it with ZoneAlarm or Sygate
> Firewall would be fine, but *don't forget about anti-virus*. There are
> many good ones out there - and a number which are free for personal use,
> such as AVG and Avast.
>
> Hope you manage to get rid of Norton. I've heard it doesn't like to be
> removed.
>
> Brian.
>
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:25:24 PM

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Sygate was recently purchased by Symantec. It may end-up disappearing.
>
> Zone Alarm is not bad. However, a lot of other people hate it because it
> is own by a division of Checpoint (another firewall maker.)

I didn't know Sygate had been bought. It would be a shame if it disappeared,
I agree it would seem likely. I'll have to monitor that one.

Thanks.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:01:43 PM

Thank you all for the help I did see where Sygate was taken over by Symatec
so I went with ZoneAlarm and I do use AVG as a Antivirus program.
One other BIG point I used Norton Antivirus for years, but after I was asked
to try AVG I ran it the first time and it found 17 viruses and 30 Trogon
horses on my computer I was a believer, no more Norton, also I have other
programs on my computer for serious protection from the nastys.
Once again thank you all for the directions and help
Buzz

> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Sygate was recently purchased by Symantec. It may end-up disappearing.
>>
>> Zone Alarm is not bad. However, a lot of other people hate it because it
>> is own by a division of Checpoint (another firewall maker.)
>>

> I didn't know Sygate had been bought. It would be a shame if it
> disappeared, I agree it would seem likely. I'll have to monitor that one.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:32:55 PM

"Buzzard" <hawk22@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 4idnZ2dnZ3ZTXS9nZ2dnZMukN6dnZ2dRVn-yJ2dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Thank you all for the help I did see where Sygate was taken over by
> Symatec so I went with ZoneAlarm and I do use AVG as a Antivirus program.
> One other BIG point I used Norton Antivirus for years, but after I was
> asked to try AVG I ran it the first time and it found 17 viruses and 30
> Trogon horses on my computer I was a believer, no more Norton, also I have
> other programs on my computer for serious protection from the nastys.
> Once again thank you all for the directions and help
> Buzz

Just be aware that if you have been using AVG for years and then tried
Norton that Norton might have found 17 viruses and 30 Trojans that AVG had
missed. I don't think any anti-virus program can ever be 100%. So you still
have to be mindful of what you do on your pc.

(I had a friend who told me that while surfing a message box had appeared
saying that there was a critical problem with his pc but it was alright
because it told him what to download to fix it. He told me this without
realising he'd just been duped.)

I use ZoneAlarm and AVG on my PC at home and am very satisfied with both of
them.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:14:44 AM

Yes Brian you are right completely. I have only uninstall and cleaned out
Norton Internet Security completely, but I still have a couple of copies
laying around and will run it again in a year or so, just to see if it
cleans out things that AVG missed.
Thank you for the help all of you.
Buzz
-