At installation some years ago I dragged the MS dos prompt and the Windows
explorer Icons onto the desk top. Recently an enthusiastic assistant has
tidied up the desk top and deleted the short cuts. (unfortunaetly I came
along and emptied the recycle bin) How can I get them back?

Randy,
It's called the Command prompt in XP (NT-family , Win2000 & Up).

From Start > All Programs > Accessories --- scan down the list, select Command prompt, highlight, do a Right Click, select SEND TO, then Desktop. This will create the shortcut.
Follow the same for Windows Explorer.

Another handy thing is you can also Pin these (or any) program to your Start bar. Follow the above, select "Pin to Start menu".
Then you can simply press the WinKey (or Control + Escape) to get to start menu bar.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

randy james wrote:
> At installation some years ago I dragged the MS dos prompt and the
> Windows explorer Icons onto the desk top. Recently an enthusiastic
> assistant has tidied up the desk top and deleted the short cuts.
> (unfortunaetly I came along and emptied the recycle bin) How can I
> get them back?

Thanks Maurice,
When I originally moved the short cut icons I must have used the left button
as these options are no longer there when you go to programs- accesories. I
have tried removing accessories using the add/remove windows components
rebooting the computer and then reinstalling accesories both with the
add/remove utility and with the auto run function that you get when you
insert the original windows CD. Still not there. Presumably this information
is hidden somewhere else ? I can still use the DOS command by a variety of
ways outlined in this chatroom, the easiest for me is run - CMD. The explorer
short cut is a little harder to find. It would be a little easier if I still
had the short cuts
Randy

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Randy,
> It's called the Command prompt in XP (NT-family , Win2000 & Up).
>
> From Start > All Programs > Accessories --- scan down the list, select Command prompt, highlight, do a Right Click, select SEND TO, then Desktop. This will create the shortcut.
> Follow the same for Windows Explorer.
>
> Another handy thing is you can also Pin these (or any) program to your Start bar. Follow the above, select "Pin to Start menu".
> Then you can simply press the WinKey (or Control + Escape) to get to start menu bar.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>
> randy james wrote:
> > At installation some years ago I dragged the MS dos prompt and the
> > Windows explorer Icons onto the desk top. Recently an enthusiastic
> > assistant has tidied up the desk top and deleted the short cuts.
> > (unfortunaetly I came along and emptied the recycle bin) How can I
> > get them back?

Does any one have any suggetions on to how to recover the shortcuts for
Windows explorer and command prompt?

randy james" wrote:i

> Thanks Maurice,
> When I originally moved the short cut icons I must have used the left button
> as these options are no longer there when you go to programs- accesories. I
> have tried removing accessories using the add/remove windows components
> rebooting the computer and then reinstalling accesories both with the
> add/remove utility and with the auto run function that you get when you
> insert the original windows CD. Still not there. Presumably this information
> is hidden somewhere else ? I can still use the DOS command by a variety of
> ways outlined in this chatroom, the easiest for me is run - CMD. The explorer
> short cut is a little harder to find. It would be a little easier if I still
> had the short cuts
> Randy
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
> > Randy,
> > It's called the Command prompt in XP (NT-family , Win2000 & Up).
> >
> > From Start > All Programs > Accessories --- scan down the list, select Command prompt, highlight, do a Right Click, select SEND TO, then Desktop. This will create the shortcut.
> > Follow the same for Windows Explorer.
> >
> > Another handy thing is you can also Pin these (or any) program to your Start bar. Follow the above, select "Pin to Start menu".
> > Then you can simply press the WinKey (or Control + Escape) to get to start menu bar.
> > --
> > Maurice N
> > MVP Windows - Shell / User
> > -----
> >
> > randy james wrote:
> > > At installation some years ago I dragged the MS dos prompt and the
> > > Windows explorer Icons onto the desk top. Recently an enthusiastic
> > > assistant has tidied up the desk top and deleted the short cuts.
> > > (unfortunaetly I came along and emptied the recycle bin) How can I
> > > get them back?

You're speaking of desktop shortcuts. Do a right-click on the Desktop. Select New, then Shortcut.
Then for the Command prompt, your target is CMD.EXE located at %systemroot%\System32 which would be usually on C drive at either \Windows\System32 or \WINNT\System32

For Explorer, is is at %windir% (either \Windows or \WINNT --- program name EXPLORER.EXE )
HTH
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

randy james wrote:
> Does any one have any suggetions on to how to recover the shortcuts
> for Windows explorer and command prompt?
>
> randy james" wrote:i
>
>> Thanks Maurice,
>> When I originally moved the short cut icons I must have used the
>> left button as these options are no longer there when you go to
>> programs- accesories. I have tried removing accessories using the
>> add/remove windows components rebooting the computer and then
>> reinstalling accesories both with the add/remove utility and with
>> the auto run function that you get when you insert the original
>> windows CD. Still not there. Presumably this information is hidden
>> somewhere else ? I can still use the DOS command by a variety of
>> ways outlined in this chatroom, the easiest for me is run - CMD. The
>> explorer short cut is a little harder to find. It would be a little
>> easier if I still had the short cuts Randy
>>
>> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Randy,
>>> It's called the Command prompt in XP (NT-family , Win2000 & Up).
>>>
>>> From Start > All Programs > Accessories --- scan down the list,
>>> select Command prompt, highlight, do a Right Click, select SEND TO,
>>> then Desktop. This will create the shortcut. Follow the same for
>>> Windows Explorer.
>>>
>>> Another handy thing is you can also Pin these (or any) program to
>>> your Start bar. Follow the above, select "Pin to Start menu". Then
>>> you can simply press the WinKey (or Control + Escape) to get to
>>> start menu bar. -- Maurice N
>>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>>> -----

Thanks Maurice
Problem fixed
Randy

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> You're speaking of desktop shortcuts. Do a right-click on the Desktop. Select New, then Shortcut.
> Then for the Command prompt, your target is CMD.EXE located at %systemroot%\System32 which would be usually on C drive at either \Windows\System32 or \WINNT\System32
>
> For Explorer, is is at %windir% (either \Windows or \WINNT --- program name EXPLORER.EXE )
> HTH
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> randy james wrote:
> > Does any one have any suggetions on to how to recover the shortcuts
> > for Windows explorer and command prompt?
> >
> > randy james" wrote:i
> >
> >> Thanks Maurice,
> >> When I originally moved the short cut icons I must have used the
> >> left button as these options are no longer there when you go to
> >> programs- accesories. I have tried removing accessories using the
> >> add/remove windows components rebooting the computer and then
> >> reinstalling accesories both with the add/remove utility and with
> >> the auto run function that you get when you insert the original
> >> windows CD. Still not there. Presumably this information is hidden
> >> somewhere else ? I can still use the DOS command by a variety of
> >> ways outlined in this chatroom, the easiest for me is run - CMD. The
> >> explorer short cut is a little harder to find. It would be a little
> >> easier if I still had the short cuts Randy

Very good. YW.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User