Computer Switched Off During System Restore!

August 24, 2005 3:57:56 PM

My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
doesn't want to lose everything, though I think he's going to have to (or
already has). He was doing a system restore (unnecessarily, may I add) and
switched off the computer because it was taking too long (!). Now, Windows
XP Home will not boot. The XP loading screen is displayed, then a blue
screen for a split second, then it reboots. Safe mode does the same, and
last known good configuration does not go past about 1/6 of the white

So I thought I'd reinstall XP over the top. The problem is that the
partition is now 'unknown', according to the Windows XP Setup, so it would
appear the partition data is messed up. Thus, I cannot install XP without
formatting.

Is there anything that can be done?

Many thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:57:57 PM

Use PTEDIT32 (Google for it - free) to work with your partition information.
Sometimes you will find that there is no designation for the partition in
question. Give it the correct designation for the partition type that WAS
being used. Then reboot. See if the partition is now recognized. If it is
you could now attempt a "repair" install onto the same partition.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"John" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
> doesn't want to lose everything, though I think he's going to have to (or
> already has). He was doing a system restore (unnecessarily, may I add) and
> switched off the computer because it was taking too long (!). Now, Windows
> XP Home will not boot. The XP loading screen is displayed, then a blue
> screen for a split second, then it reboots. Safe mode does the same, and
> last known good configuration does not go past about 1/6 of the white
>
> So I thought I'd reinstall XP over the top. The problem is that the
> partition is now 'unknown', according to the Windows XP Setup, so it would
> appear the partition data is messed up. Thus, I cannot install XP without
> formatting.
>
> Is there anything that can be done?
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:04:17 PM

Hi

You can't 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael
Stevens?

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"John" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
> My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
> doesn't want to lose everything, though I think he's going to have to (or
> already has). He was doing a system restore (unnecessarily, may I add) and
> switched off the computer because it was taking too long (!). Now, Windows
> XP Home will not boot. The XP loading screen is displayed, then a blue
> screen for a split second, then it reboots. Safe mode does the same, and
> last known good configuration does not go past about 1/6 of the white
>
> So I thought I'd reinstall XP over the top. The problem is that the
> partition is now 'unknown', according to the Windows XP Setup, so it would
> appear the partition data is messed up. Thus, I cannot install XP without
> formatting.
>
> Is there anything that can be done?
>
> Many thanks in advance.

Related resources
August 24, 2005 4:15:50 PM

> You can't 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael
> Stevens?
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I'm not hopeful due to the partition
problem. I will post back.
August 24, 2005 4:30:04 PM

> Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I'm not hopeful due to the partition
> problem. I will post back.

Okay, I wasn't able to do anything on that page due to the unknown file
system, but as it was not able to action any of the 'bootcfg' commands, I
tried a chkdsk, which appears to have fixed the partition problems. I think
I'll be able to fix it from here. :-)

Thanks for the help.
August 24, 2005 4:39:22 PM

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o qYbt8JqFHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> Use PTEDIT32 (Google for it - free) to work with your partition
> information. Sometimes you will find that there is no designation for the
> partition in question. Give it the correct designation for the partition
> type that WAS being used. Then reboot. See if the partition is now
> recognized. If it is you could now attempt a "repair" install onto the
> same partition.

Thanks, this will be very useful for in the future.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:43:54 PM

In article <430c52b6$0$19756$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, John
says...
> My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
> doesn't want to lose everything,

....should have backed up then.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd
August 24, 2005 9:18:53 PM

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

> ...should have backed up then.

Helpful. Thanks.