Computer Switched Off During System Restore!

My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
doesn't want to lose everything, though I think he's going to have to (or
already has). He was doing a system restore (unnecessarily, may I add) and
switched off the computer because it was taking too long (!). Now, Windows
XP Home will not boot. The XP loading screen is displayed, then a blue
screen for a split second, then it reboots. Safe mode does the same, and
last known good configuration does not go past about 1/6 of the white

So I thought I'd reinstall XP over the top. The problem is that the
partition is now 'unknown', according to the Windows XP Setup, so it would
appear the partition data is messed up. Thus, I cannot install XP without
formatting.

Is there anything that can be done?

Many thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about computer switched system restore

    Use PTEDIT32 (Google for it - free) to work with your partition information.
    Sometimes you will find that there is no designation for the partition in
    question. Give it the correct designation for the partition type that WAS
    being used. Then reboot. See if the partition is now recognized. If it is
    you could now attempt a "repair" install onto the same partition.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "John" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
    > My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
    > doesn't want to lose everything, though I think he's going to have to (or
    > already has). He was doing a system restore (unnecessarily, may I add) and
    > switched off the computer because it was taking too long (!). Now, Windows
    > XP Home will not boot. The XP loading screen is displayed, then a blue
    > screen for a split second, then it reboots. Safe mode does the same, and
    > last known good configuration does not go past about 1/6 of the white
    >
    > So I thought I'd reinstall XP over the top. The problem is that the
    > partition is now 'unknown', according to the Windows XP Setup, so it would
    > appear the partition data is messed up. Thus, I cannot install XP without
    > formatting.
    >
    > Is there anything that can be done?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Hi

    You can't 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael
    Stevens?

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    > You can't 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael
    > Stevens?
    >
    > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I'm not hopeful due to the partition
    problem. I will post back.

    > Thanks, I'll give it a try, but I'm not hopeful due to the partition
    > problem. I will post back.

    Okay, I wasn't able to do anything on that page due to the unknown file
    system, but as it was not able to action any of the 'bootcfg' commands, I
    tried a chkdsk, which appears to have fixed the partition problems. I think
    I'll be able to fix it from here. :-)

    Thanks for the help.

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Use PTEDIT32 (Google for it - free) to work with your partition
    > information. Sometimes you will find that there is no designation for the
    > partition in question. Give it the correct designation for the partition
    > type that WAS being used. Then reboot. See if the partition is now
    > recognized. If it is you could now attempt a "repair" install onto the
    > same partition.

    Thanks, this will be very useful for in the future.

    In article <430c52b6$0$19756$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, John
    says...
    > My grandfather has given me his computer to fix. The only problem is, he
    > doesn't want to lose everything,

    ....should have backed up then.

    --
    Conor

    The child is grown, the dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > ...should have backed up then.

    Helpful. Thanks.

Windows XP Computers System Restore