Inspiron 2650 keyboard problem

My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
Rebooting always fixes it.

Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
registry?

Colin
4 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 2650 keyboard problem

    "Colin Whipple" <colinwhippleNSPM@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
    > Rebooting always fixes it.
    >
    > Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
    > registry?
    >
    > Colin

    Try it with an external USB keyboard and see if it clears up. That might
    help sort things out. Or you could run the diagnostics from the website or
    CD and poll each key and see if any fail.

    Stew

    it could be as simple as a loose connection from the keyboard to the
    motherboard.

    "Colin Whipple" <colinwhippleNSPM@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
    > Rebooting always fixes it.
    >
    > Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
    > registry?
    >
    > Colin

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:38:11 GMT, "Colin Whipple"
    <colinwhippleNSPM@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >My 3-year old Inspiron 2650 stops responding to keyboard input sometimes.
    >Rebooting always fixes it.
    >
    >Is this a sign that my keyboard is dying, or could it be something in the
    >registry?

    From what I remember, Inspiron 2xxx keyboards have a pain-in-the-ass
    ribbon-type connector to the motherboard. Dell went super-cheap and
    didn't put a nice solid connector at the end of the keyboard, so
    anyone that removes the keyboard has to spend a half-hour trying to
    put the circuit-ribbon back in perfectly. Not that I've done this a
    couple times or anything ;)

    Try taking out the keyboard circuit ribbon, and re-inserting it. I
    think the keyboard screws are marked "K" at the bottom of the laptop.

    Dan

    I thank those who responded to my question.

    At the Inspiron community forum at www.dell.com I found suggestions to:

    1) Relieve static electricity buildup by removing and replacing the
    battery, and

    2) Tightening/reinserting the keyboard connector as some people here
    suggested.

    Since removing the battery for a short period seemed easier, I am trying
    that first. If it doesn't work I will try the other method.

    Colin

Dell Inspiron Keyboards Computers