if u can answer this one your a genius

G

ive got a HP Pavilion 4422
-433 MHz intel celeronwith MMX technology
-chipset: 440ZX/66
64 MB RAM
current graphics card- voodoo2

i also have a nVidia Geforce2 MX for AGP slot

is it possible to install the Geforce2 in my computer?(of course removing the voodoo2 first)
is the Geforce2 Direct3D compliant?

what the hell is Direct3d?
ive got a game demo- everytime i go to run it - an error says could not execute Direct3D, might be a driver problem!

is this because of the voodoo2 i have installed at the moment?

is Direct3d a file i can download?
i geuss thats enough questions

if u can help me out with this one- you know your stuff about computers- it would be real good if u could enlighten me - like ive been trying to unproblem for about two weeks

username: amateur

dpbement

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I'm not an expert so we'll clear that up real fast.

Direct3D is a 3D format or language that 3D software makers can use. There is also OpenGL and 3DFx. I think that 3DFx is about gone. OpenGL is the 3D format that Quake, Return to Wolfenstein, and most newer first person shooters use. Direct3D is used by games such as Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator and others. If you are getting this message, it may be a driver problem.....download the latest driver from your 3D card manufacturer's website. Also, check into the specs of your card. It may not support Direct3D. This is possible with older cards. I think I had a Matrox Mystique that did not support Direct3D once. Anyway, that's about all I know.

dpbement

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
I re-read your post. Remove your old video card and put your new video card in. Double check that the version of your AGP slot in your motherboard manual and make sure the GF2 card supports that. Put your new one in if it does. It will be Direct3D compliant and OpenGL. Download the latest drivers from the Nvidia website. Don't rely on the ones on the CD. They are probably outdated.

No_Tone

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Direct 3D is a type of API that games use. Usually games these days use OpenGL or Direct3D. I know that 3dfx has totally changed it's website and it's policies about drivers. Apparently they won't support the lower cards, like the Voodoo2, anymore, but they do post 3rd party drivers. My friend has installed them and it seems to be working alright. Right now I don't think 3dfx has any drivers that support Direct3d, but I'm sure the 3rd party drivers do. I'd use them instead of 3dfx's drivers.

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
Remove the card, COMPLETELY

Make sure you take ANY remnants of the software and drivers out, THEN do a clean install of the new card, and update any drivers that are necessary.

Make sure your apature is set right for the abilities of your board to the card as well.

Had that problem with mine trying to set at one multiplier in my AGP than my MB was capable of handling, and once I got that set right in this system, it worked fine.

Also check to see if there are any compatibility issues with your MB manufacturer between that card and the MB.

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

svol

Champion
Also download the newest version of DirectX here:
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/directx/" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/directx/</A>

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

many thanks dpbement

Gamespot(burnadisc service) burns game demos on disc- saves on download time (by the way i dont work for them)
Gamespyarcade enables u to play multiplayer online & download heaps of demos

later

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can put your GeForce2 MX in your motherboard. I certainly hope it's not an MX200!

Your motherboard should also support 100MHz processors and Pentium III's, as long as the BIOS does, because the ZX was a version of the BX chipset.

Direct3D is the API MS supports for Windows. It is the most commonly available 3D API and is used in MOST games. Your VooDoo card did NOT support it, but instead supported Glide, a GL based ap that's loosing support by the Gaming industry.

Yes, it's your video card that causes the problem

D3D is part of Windows, newer versions are available for download and are also included with most video cards and most games.

Yes, I'm a genius

What's the frequency, Kenneth?