INF problems.

August 24, 2005 9:30:41 AM

I've been having difficulty installing some hardware and I think it has to do
with how the OS is being ID'd when the installation begins. I was updating
the intel drivers for my graphics card and the the utilities identification
program listed Windows NT as my OS. I think this may be at the root of my
problem.
When installing a HP Deskjet 3740 printer was the first time I encountered
this problem. The installation would result in an error stating:
"The installation process could not be completed because of an unknown
error, close all open applications and then return to the site and try again."
"Software has not passed windows logo testing."
"The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary
entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later."
I have been in contact with the HP support and Dell support trying to solve
this problem.
Am I right? If I am How do I fix it. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition so
why is it that Windows NT is being listed instead?

More about : inf problems

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:07:50 PM

XP, just like Windows 2000, is originally based on NT code.

You need to download the latest XP versions of those drivers. If your can
not find the latest XP drivers for your printer then either you can only use
the standard printer drivers that were shipped in Xp or HP has deemed that
the printer no longer supported.

!