"Invalid BOOT.INI file" / How to write manually my boot.in..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message during bootup:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files (with my recovery CD):

FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:

Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\WINNT\

Hmm, what does that mean?
Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?

If yes: How should it look like?

Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
I can work with it as before.
Only the new messages are somehow curious.

Paul
4 answers Last reply
More about invalid boot file write manually boot
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Assuming that you have 1 hard drive and that w2000 is installed there:

    Open notepad.

    Paste in

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect

    save as "boot.ini" (the quotes are important) to root of your c: drive.

    If you get a save error you may need to open a command prompt (start=>run,
    cmd, ENTER)

    type:

    cd \
    attrib -s -h boot.ini
    del boot.ini
    exit

    then try saving your new boot.ini file.

    "Paul Barasoa" wrote:

    > A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message during bootup:
    >
    > NTLDR is missing
    > Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    >
    > Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files (with my recovery CD):
    >
    > FIXMBR C:
    > FIXBOOT C:
    > COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    > COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    >
    > After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
    > However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:
    >
    > Invalid Boot.ini file
    > Booting from C:\WINNT\
    >
    > Hmm, what does that mean?
    > Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
    >
    > If yes: How should it look like?
    >
    > Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
    > I can work with it as before.
    > Only the new messages are somehow curious.
    >
    > Paul

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    A typical XP boot.ini file (1 hard disk, 1 partition) looks like this, with SP2 installed.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C823C553-B5FC-42D6-94A2-D32EA26AE40E@microsoft.com...
    > Assuming that you have 1 hard drive and that w2000 is installed there:
    >
    > Open notepad.
    >
    > Paste in
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect
    >
    > save as "boot.ini" (the quotes are important) to root of your c: drive.
    >
    > If you get a save error you may need to open a command prompt (start=>run,
    > cmd, ENTER)
    >
    > type:
    >
    > cd \
    > attrib -s -h boot.ini
    > del boot.ini
    > exit
    >
    > then try saving your new boot.ini file.
    >

    > "Paul Barasoa" wrote:
    >
    >> A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message during bootup:
    >>
    >> NTLDR is missing
    >> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    >>
    >> Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files (with my recovery CD):
    >>
    >> FIXMBR C:
    >> FIXBOOT C:
    >> COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    >> COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    >>
    >> After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
    >> However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:
    >>
    >> Invalid Boot.ini file
    >> Booting from C:\WINNT\
    >>
    >> Hmm, what does that mean?
    >> Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
    >>
    >> If yes: How should it look like?
    >>
    >> Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
    >> I can work with it as before.
    >> Only the new messages are somehow curious.
    >>
    >> Paul

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yeah, and thats probably what I would have pasted in if the poster hadn't
    explictly stated windows 2000.

    :)

    Just ribbing ya, thanks for the followup, its good info to have.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
    A typical XP boot.ini file (1 hard disk, 1 partition) looks like this, with
    SP2 installed.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    /FASTDETECT

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
    Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Assuming that you have 1 hard drive and that w2000 is installed there:
    >
    > Open notepad.
    >
    > Paste in
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000"
    > /fastdetect
    >
    > save as "boot.ini" (the quotes are important) to root of your c: drive.
    >
    > If you get a save error you may need to open a command prompt (start=>run,
    > cmd, ENTER)
    >
    > type:
    >
    > cd \
    > attrib -s -h boot.ini
    > del boot.ini
    > exit
    >
    > then try saving your new boot.ini file.
    >

    > "Paul Barasoa" wrote:
    >
    >> A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message
    >> during bootup:
    >>
    >> NTLDR is missing
    >> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    >>
    >> Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files
    >> (with my recovery CD):
    >>
    >> FIXMBR C:
    >> FIXBOOT C:
    >> COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    >> COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
    >>
    >> After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
    >> However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:
    >>
    >> Invalid Boot.ini file
    >> Booting from C:\WINNT\
    >>
    >> Hmm, what does that mean?
    >> Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
    >>
    >> If yes: How should it look like?
    >>
    >> Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
    >> I can work with it as before.
    >> Only the new messages are somehow curious.
    >>
    >> Paul

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Duh, I missed that :)

    "Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uIT3BFPqFHA.3724@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Yeah, and thats probably what I would have pasted in if the poster hadn't
    > explictly stated windows 2000.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Just ribbing ya, thanks for the followup, its good info to have.

Boot Microsoft Windows XP