"Invalid BOOT.INI file" / How to write manually my boot.in..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message during bootup:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files (with my recovery CD):

FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:
COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:

Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\WINNT\

Hmm, what does that mean?
Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?

If yes: How should it look like?

Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
I can work with it as before.
Only the new messages are somehow curious.

Paul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Assuming that you have 1 hard drive and that w2000 is installed there:

Open notepad.

Paste in

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect

save as "boot.ini" (the quotes are important) to root of your c: drive.

If you get a save error you may need to open a command prompt (start=>run,
cmd, ENTER)

type:

cd \
attrib -s -h boot.ini
del boot.ini
exit

then try saving your new boot.ini file.

"Paul Barasoa" wrote:

> A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message during bootup:
>
> NTLDR is missing
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
>
> Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files (with my recovery CD):
>
> FIXMBR C:
> FIXBOOT C:
> COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
> COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
>
> After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
> However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:
>
> Invalid Boot.ini file
> Booting from C:\WINNT\
>
> Hmm, what does that mean?
> Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
>
> If yes: How should it look like?
>
> Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
> I can work with it as before.
> Only the new messages are somehow curious.
>
> Paul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A typical XP boot.ini file (1 hard disk, 1 partition) looks like this, with SP2 installed.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C823C553-B5FC-42D6-94A2-D32EA26AE40E@microsoft.com...
> Assuming that you have 1 hard drive and that w2000 is installed there:
>
> Open notepad.
>
> Paste in
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect
>
> save as "boot.ini" (the quotes are important) to root of your c: drive.
>
> If you get a save error you may need to open a command prompt (start=>run,
> cmd, ENTER)
>
> type:
>
> cd \
> attrib -s -h boot.ini
> del boot.ini
> exit
>
> then try saving your new boot.ini file.
>

> "Paul Barasoa" wrote:
>
>> A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message during bootup:
>>
>> NTLDR is missing
>> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
>>
>> Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files (with my recovery CD):
>>
>> FIXMBR C:
>> FIXBOOT C:
>> COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
>> COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
>>
>> After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
>> However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:
>>
>> Invalid Boot.ini file
>> Booting from C:\WINNT\
>>
>> Hmm, what does that mean?
>> Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
>>
>> If yes: How should it look like?
>>
>> Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
>> I can work with it as before.
>> Only the new messages are somehow curious.
>>
>> Paul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yeah, and thats probably what I would have pasted in if the poster hadn't
explictly stated windows 2000.

:)

Just ribbing ya, thanks for the followup, its good info to have.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
A typical XP boot.ini file (1 hard disk, 1 partition) looks like this, with
SP2 installed.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
/FASTDETECT

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Manny Borges" <MannyBorges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Assuming that you have 1 hard drive and that w2000 is installed there:
>
> Open notepad.
>
> Paste in
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000"
> /fastdetect
>
> save as "boot.ini" (the quotes are important) to root of your c: drive.
>
> If you get a save error you may need to open a command prompt (start=>run,
> cmd, ENTER)
>
> type:
>
> cd \
> attrib -s -h boot.ini
> del boot.ini
> exit
>
> then try saving your new boot.ini file.
>

> "Paul Barasoa" wrote:
>
>> A few days ago my boot partition crashed somehow and I got a message
>> during bootup:
>>
>> NTLDR is missing
>> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
>>
>> Ok, So I did according to some recommendations a renewal of my boot files
>> (with my recovery CD):
>>
>> FIXMBR C:
>> FIXBOOT C:
>> COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
>> COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
>>
>> After this operations I could successfully boot my Win2000 system.
>> However, since then during my boot up two new messages appear:
>>
>> Invalid Boot.ini file
>> Booting from C:\WINNT\
>>
>> Hmm, what does that mean?
>> Do I have to rewrite manually my boot.ini file?
>>
>> If yes: How should it look like?
>>
>> Again everything else seems to be fine with the Windows system.
>> I can work with it as before.
>> Only the new messages are somehow curious.
>>
>> Paul

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Duh, I missed that :)