Wireless for one?

dot

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

Hello everyone.
I have a problem. We moved in to a new home and my desktop PC is across the
room from where the internet cable jack is so there is the big white cable
running all the way around the room. (ugly) <s> The cable company could
not put in a new wall jack on the side of the room where the desktop is.
(long story) So I've been looking into this new fan dangle <S> wireless
stuff. From everything I could find on the net it always shows home
networks with PC's and laptops all connected wirelessly but it also always
show the one desktop connected to the router via Ethernet and then all the
rest of the computer are wireless. My question is, is it possible to just
have one desktop PC connected wireless? Sorry if that is a stupid question
but I don't know anything about wireless and the examples aren't helping.
My daughter visits often with a laptop so I would like the capability of her
connecting as well. What equipment would I need and what is a recommended
brand if this is all possible. And I am also confused on all the different
standards a,b,g. Also, I have three Panasonic wireless phones in the house
that are 2.4 Ghz. One is in the same room as the desktop. Is that a
problem?
TIA
Peggy

"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in

> Hello everyone.
> I have a problem. We moved in to a new home and my desktop PC is
> across the room from where the internet cable jack is so there is the
> big white cable running all the way around the room. (ugly) <s> The
> cable company could not put in a new wall jack on the side of the room
> where the desktop is. (long story) So I've been looking into this new
> fan dangle <S> wireless stuff. From everything I could find on the
> net it always shows home networks with PC's and laptops all connected
> wirelessly but it also always show the one desktop connected to the
> router via Ethernet and then all the rest of the computer are
> wireless. My question is, is it possible to just have one desktop PC
> connected wireless? Sorry if that is a stupid question but I don't
> know anything about wireless and the examples aren't helping. My
> daughter visits often with a laptop so I would like the capability of
> her connecting as well. What equipment would I need and what is a
> recommended brand if this is all possible. And I am also confused on
> all the different standards a,b,g. Also, I have three Panasonic
> wireless phones in the house that are 2.4 Ghz. One is in the same
> room as the desktop. Is that a problem?
> TIA
> Peggy

I have one wireless laptop and all the rest of the machines on my network
are wired.

The latest and greatest is G with the WAP. Yes, interference can be an
issue, but the only phone I have is a cellular phone. It has not been an
issue and besides, you can always move the phone away from the equipment.

I have been using a Linksys BEFW11S4 wire/wireless router model since
2001 with no problem. Linksys has the 54G model www.linksys.com. There
are other good products besides Linksys -- D-link, Netgear, and Belkin
even MicroSoft to name a few.

Why a router?

And you can have *one* or more wired and wireless computers connected.

Also at the top of the link there are other home networking topics
including wireless.

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/03july28.asp
http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

You should make sure the wireless is secure.

The key to longevity for the equipment such as a router is plugging it
into a UPS, like a Belkin Bulldog UPS unit or others. The router doesn't
like spikes from household appliances on the line, blackouts or brownouts
and will go defective if it is continuous. It likes continuous and clean
power.

Tiger Direct www.tigerdirec.com has Belkin and others for under $100 the
last time I looked.

You should have one machine that has the ability to connect to the
wire/wireless router to configure it, meaning you can have a wired and
wireless card in the machine.

Duane :)

"Dot" <dot@spam.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello everyone.
> I have a problem. We moved in to a new home and my desktop PC is across
the
> room from where the internet cable jack is so there is the big white cable
> running all the way around the room. (ugly) <s> The cable company could
> not put in a new wall jack on the side of the room where the desktop is.
> (long story) So I've been looking into this new fan dangle <S> wireless
> stuff. From everything I could find on the net it always shows home
> networks with PC's and laptops all connected wirelessly but it also always
> show the one desktop connected to the router via Ethernet and then all the
> rest of the computer are wireless. My question is, is it possible to just
> have one desktop PC connected wireless? Sorry if that is a stupid
question
> but I don't know anything about wireless and the examples aren't helping.
> My daughter visits often with a laptop so I would like the capability of
her
> connecting as well. What equipment would I need and what is a recommended
> brand if this is all possible. And I am also confused on all the
different
> standards a,b,g. Also, I have three Panasonic wireless phones in the
house
> that are 2.4 Ghz. One is in the same room as the desktop. Is that a
> problem?
> TIA
> Peggy

Most vendors offer wireless cards that fit into the PCI slots of a desktop
PC.
If you want to connect your laptops and desktops to the internet then
there's
no reason why you should run ethernet over cables in your house.
Speed may be a point, but the latest wireless gear runs at about half the
speed
of fast ethernet.

antonio

Dot <dot@spam.com> wrote:

> My question is, is it possible to just
> have one desktop PC connected wireless?

No problem, just connect a wireless router to the cable-outlet.

One word of caution. Do not try to configure the router using the
wireless connection. With some changes the router will have to reboot
and that might mean you lose the wireless connection and (in case of
certain errors) could even make it impossible to connect wireless at al.

So, be on the safe side and configure it with a wired connection.

Standard is unimportant as long as your laptop supports it and 99.9% of
all devices will support 11b without any problem.

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

Dot wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I have a problem. We moved in to a new home and my desktop PC is across the
> room from where the internet cable jack is so there is the big white cable
> running all the way around the room. (ugly) <s> The cable company could
> not put in a new wall jack on the side of the room where the desktop is.
> (long story) So I've been looking into this new fan dangle <S> wireless
> stuff. From everything I could find on the net it always shows home
> networks with PC's and laptops all connected wirelessly but it also always
> show the one desktop connected to the router via Ethernet and then all the
> rest of the computer are wireless. My question is, is it possible to just
> have one desktop PC connected wireless? Sorry if that is a stupid question
> but I don't know anything about wireless and the examples aren't helping.
> My daughter visits often with a laptop so I would like the capability of her
> connecting as well. What equipment would I need and what is a recommended
> brand if this is all possible. And I am also confused on all the different
> standards a,b,g. Also, I have three Panasonic wireless phones in the house
> that are 2.4 Ghz. One is in the same room as the desktop. Is that a
> problem?
> TIA
> Peggy

Should work OK, but it will be difficult to configure the router after
a glitch or power outage, since the PC will (usually) remember the
WiFi settings while the router (usually) won't. So, either:
- live with the router's defaults (no WPA/WEP, no security)
- permanently connect some (maybe cheap old) PC to the router by cable
- temporarily cable the PC to the router

Wireless phones may be a problem, but frequently aren't. I have one 2.4GHz
phone between my wireless laptop and my WAP, and it never cause problems;
a have a 2.4GHz cellphone which sometimes causes problems if it gets too
close to the laptop. Try it - even if it causes some interference,
simply relocating it may suffice.
--
Cheers, Bob

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Dot wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone.
> > I have a problem. We moved in to a new home and my desktop PC is across
the
> > room from where the internet cable jack is so there is the big white
cable
> > running all the way around the room. (ugly) <s> The cable company
could
> > not put in a new wall jack on the side of the room where the desktop is.
> > (long story) So I've been looking into this new fan dangle <S> wireless
> > stuff. From everything I could find on the net it always shows home
> > networks with PC's and laptops all connected wirelessly but it also
always
> > show the one desktop connected to the router via Ethernet and then all
the
> > rest of the computer are wireless. My question is, is it possible to
just
> > have one desktop PC connected wireless? Sorry if that is a stupid
question
> > but I don't know anything about wireless and the examples aren't
helping.
> > My daughter visits often with a laptop so I would like the capability of
her
> > connecting as well. What equipment would I need and what is a
recommended
> > brand if this is all possible. And I am also confused on all the
different
> > standards a,b,g. Also, I have three Panasonic wireless phones in the
house
> > that are 2.4 Ghz. One is in the same room as the desktop. Is that a
> > problem?
> > TIA
> > Peggy

I may have misunderstood the question, but I don't see a problem with the
way you're setting up your system. Its basically the same thing I have. My
modem is in the living room & my main 'puter is in the office. Occasionaly
the den 'puter will be on or I'll connect the laptop. When I set this up I
connected the wireless router(Microsoft MN500) to the modem, configured it
with the laptop, & then connected the main desktop & spare with USB
adapters(Microsoft MN510)....works great. In your case you'll have to move
your desktop temporarily next to your wireless router, or if your daughters
home have her use her laptop, to make the initial connection, then move your
desktop back to wherever it was & Voila....your in business. Right now I'm
using this setup to send this post.....desktop in the office, router in the
living room, & nothing else connected, all wirelessly. I use Microsoft
because I also don't have a clue about wireless networking & MS is a very
simple setup. Microsoft is getting out of the wireless network business so
theres some good deals out there. If your 'puter doesn't have an Ethernet
port you'll have to buy(or borrow) an ethernet adapter...about $20 for the
initial setup....The router About
$35(http://www.amazon.com/o/dt/assoc/handle-buy-box=B00006IJO4)
the adapter about
$25(http://www.amazon.com/o/dt/assoc/handle-buy-box=B00006IJO6) out of stock
but the reviews are helpful, & a notebook adapter for $20. About $80 for the
whole shebang(unless you have to buy the Ethernet adapter for about$20).
Enjoy!

--
CorkyF

On Sun, 30 May 2004 14:27:51 GMT, Dot wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I have a problem. We moved in to a new home and my desktop PC is across the
> room from where the internet cable jack is so there is the big white cable
> running all the way around the room. (ugly) <s> The cable company could
> not put in a new wall jack on the side of the room where the desktop is.
> (long story) So I've been looking into this new fan dangle <S> wireless
> stuff. From everything I could find on the net it always shows home
> networks with PC's and laptops all connected wirelessly but it also always
> show the one desktop connected to the router via Ethernet and then all the
> rest of the computer are wireless. My question is, is it possible to just
> have one desktop PC connected wireless? Sorry if that is a stupid question
> but I don't know anything about wireless and the examples aren't helping.
> My daughter visits often with a laptop so I would like the capability of her
> connecting as well. What equipment would I need and what is a recommended
> brand if this is all possible. And I am also confused on all the different
> standards a,b,g. Also, I have three Panasonic wireless phones in the house
> that are 2.4 Ghz. One is in the same room as the desktop. Is that a
> problem?
> TIA
> Peggy

This should not be a problem. Connect a wireless router to the modem, and a
wireless card to the PC. If the phone is not right next to one of the
wireless units, it should not interfere. You can also play with different
channels on the phone and the wireless if there is some interference.

Very infrequently, you may need to change a setting to the wireless portion
of the router, so save the white cable for those occasions.

Since you're not moving lots of data between computers, the older standard,
802.11b (11 Mbps) will cover your needs. Even though it's slower than a
wired ethernet, it's still much faster than your broadband connection. This
means you can get cheap components. eBay shows wireless routers for about
$30 with shipping, and wireless PCI cards for the desktop for about the
same. If you'd rather not open the desktop to install the card, you can get
a USB wireless client instead, again for about the same cost.

When your daughter comes home, she can either connect wirelessly with a
wireless PCCard (about the same price again), or use your white cable.

What you are asking for is a very straight forward set up. I have had good
luck with SMC, Dlink, and Netgear products. I've seen several Linksys
devices whose signal kept going up and down, so I stay away from their
products. It looks like poor design to me. Of course, this is just personal
preferences based on insufficient data.

Go for it!

--
Barry