explorer.exe crashes at startup

can someone help everytime I start my pc i get the "Windows Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." message. So ive checked to see the cause of the problem and
this is what it says: AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName:zipfldr.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2180 Offset: 0000e64b. Ive restarted my pc a number of
times and selected the "known last good configuration" option but after a
couple of days i get the same explorer crash msg when windows starts. Ive
tried looking on the internet but cant find a way of removing or disabling
the zipfldr.dll. Also drwatson32 crashes when i click close on the windows
explorer error msg and i have to then press ctrl+alt+del to view the
taskmanager and then end the drwatson process, but whenever i do this
explorer just crashes again.

I hope someone can help me as this is really annoying me now this is the
only error ive had with Windows XP in about 8 months as it has been pretty
stable upto now.

cheers. James
1 answer Last reply
More about explorer crashes startup

    start/run, type:

    regsvr32 zipfldr.dll

    if no help, try that again after repairing all system files.
    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "James Lovett" <JamesLovett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2171DA4F-6772-44B3-BFD2-731B00F457C3@microsoft.com...
    > can someone help everytime I start my pc i get the "Windows Explorer has
    > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
    > inconvenience." message. So ive checked to see the cause of the problem and
    > this is what it says: AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
    > ModName:zipfldr.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2900.2180 Offset: 0000e64b. Ive restarted my pc a number of
    > times and selected the "known last good configuration" option but after a
    > couple of days i get the same explorer crash msg when windows starts. Ive
    > tried looking on the internet but cant find a way of removing or disabling
    > the zipfldr.dll. Also drwatson32 crashes when i click close on the windows
    > explorer error msg and i have to then press ctrl+alt+del to view the
    > taskmanager and then end the drwatson process, but whenever i do this
    > explorer just crashes again.
    >
    > I hope someone can help me as this is really annoying me now this is the
    > only error ive had with Windows XP in about 8 months as it has been pretty
    > stable upto now.
    >
    > cheers. James

Explorer Windows XP