Sign in with
Your question

Wich one shoud I get? GF3 or 8500

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2001 6:50:36 PM

NOT!

If I see one more post about "Which card should I get? huh huh huh?" I'll scream.

Go do some research. Or at least do a search on this forum, the question has been answered fifty bajillion times and one of the answers WILL apply to your situation.

More about : wich shoud gf3 8500

December 7, 2001 8:33:47 PM

I've been doing research on both since they both came out, and I still can't decide. I got information when I posted that I haven't seen before.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 7, 2001 9:25:42 PM

All I can say is that drivers are no longer an issue because ATI has kept their promise of constant driver updates.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
December 8, 2001 1:14:02 AM

1 new driver is keeping there word?

OK. We will see. Plus they had to pull themsilves out the "cheating" hole and quick.

Call me biased if you may but I do own a Radeon vivo and have the 8500DV in the mail.

:o P

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>
December 8, 2001 1:18:50 AM

um, no, ATI has released 3 drivers since the launch of the Radeon 8500, I believe. They did stop that "cheating" problem. It was a BUG!! ATI themselves admitted it, I believe with FiringSquad. The problem was fixed in their latest drivers.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 8, 2001 1:28:52 AM

Radeon 8500 all the way. I should say the Radeon 8800 !!! 300/600 with 128mb DDR. ATi's quick fix against the GF4 till the R300 is complete.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2001 2:07:11 AM

yea yea RADEON BEST!
December 8, 2001 2:50:59 AM

Other than the price, I don't see any major differences that makes either card much better...
December 9, 2001 3:52:02 AM

Quote:
um, no, ATI has released 3 drivers since the launch of the Radeon 8500, I believe. They did stop that "cheating" problem. It was a BUG!! ATI themselves admitted it, I believe with FiringSquad. The problem was fixed in their latest drivers.

A bug, which turned down the quality settings when it detected only quake 3 without telling the person running the game...LOL, LOL, LOL bullshit.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
December 9, 2001 8:30:02 AM

well do you really want a comapnay that lies to the people that buys the card?
December 9, 2001 11:05:33 AM

Does it matter as long as it's not a problem anymore? What do you have against ATI Matisaro?

December 9, 2001 12:42:30 PM

Quote:
well do you really want a comapnay that lies to the people that buys the card?

you could make a similar argument against nvidia board manufactures, i cant find the link but i remember a story from ocp about some companys overclocking their gf3's without telling the user in order to squeeze more performance from stock parts and market it at a higher premium. i think thats pretty much lieing to the people who buy the cards

eh, i'll procrastinate later...
December 9, 2001 12:53:41 PM

Also, nVidia cheated with their Detonator 3 drivers. Texture Compression in those drivers was awful!! Especially in Quake III!

December 9, 2001 2:28:37 PM

Dude, a "bug" like that would mean the Ati programmers are really incopetent. And u know it's BS. I doubt the R8800 will be for gaming.

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool:
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2001 6:13:06 PM

ya, i want a Radeon 8800, but when the heck will that thing be out? i can't wait forever, and after christmas, i gotta get a new video card. i just gotta, i need to spend some more money!
December 12, 2001 7:55:46 AM

Quote:
you could make a similar argument against nvidia board manufactures, i cant find the link but i remember a story from ocp about some companys overclocking their gf3's without telling the user in order to squeeze more performance from stock parts and market it at a higher premium. i think thats pretty much lieing to the people who buy the cards

And I personally would NOT buy from those companies, that is wrong, and THAT IS NOT NVIDIA, that would be the fault and sole responsibility of the card manufacturers who did it. So the argument can be used on deviious card manufacturers NOT nvidia.

December 12, 2001 8:05:40 AM

Quote:
Also, nVidia cheated with their Detonator 3 drivers. Texture Compression in those drivers was awful!! Especially in Quake III!

First of all, I respect you alot amdman, I like your posts and you seem honestly cool, however.

FOR THE LAST TIME THE TEXTURE COMPRESSION BUG IS NOT CHEATING.

A: it isnt forced enabled without telling the user
B: it affects performance minimally
C: nvidia has OTHER texture compression methods which work fine(I am 99% sure on this one)
D: it AFFECTED ALL GAMES, NOT JUST ONE POPULAR BENCHMARK.

do you need more reasons amd_man or are you ready to stop using that as a reason ati's actions are ok.

As for your question why I will not forgive and let their LIE that the quake 3 CHEAT was a bug, because they would get away with what they did, which was lying to the consumer. Benchmarks are a tool people use to decide which hardware is good or not, when a company is allowed to cheat at benchmarks to artifically inflate their scores, it throws the whole thing out of whack and gives no one a good measure of a products true performance. That is why I do not forget or let their lie go unchallenged.

As for their quake 3 cheat being a legit optimisation which had a flaw....I ask these questions.

Why did it not tell the user it was running in optimised mode.
Why did it not allow the user to turn off the "feature" like you can with texture compression and every other feature like you can with every other graphics cards.
AND THE BIG ONE
Why did it ONLY affect quaKE 3 and NOT the tons of games out there which use the quake 3 engine, but happen not to be popular benchmarks. Because ati knew if they crippled their image quality on many many games for a fps increase that they would be caught, but one game, which happens to be a VERY popular benchmark, was in their eyes, the perfect crime. I am glad they got caught.

Is the radeon8500 a good card. YES
Is ATI trying to improve their drivers. YES
Will they succeed in making good drivers. I dont know.
Will I buy a radeon8500. NO BECAUSE OF THEIR CHEATING, and that is MY moral choice, which I am NOT forcing on anyone else.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2001 9:53:29 AM

Well, it seems that everybody says that R8500 is better than GF3! It has better performance and more potential but I've heard that it has some compatibility issues, especially on AMD platforms! I have to choose between GF3 and R8500 before the end of the week and I'm afraid of R8500 stability problems. Any opinion?
December 12, 2001 3:25:04 PM

this is what i like about you Matisaro.
you stick to your word without being a troll like fugger or amd_meltdown (im not comparing you them them because that would be a horrible insult to you).
unlike those trolls, i have respect for you.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB
December 12, 2001 7:09:11 PM

Well, I agree with you Matisaro to a certain extent but this whole morally thing is too much. I mean it's just a graphics card!!! Wow!! So they cheated...so what? At least they fixed their mistakes in a later driver. Seriously, would you forever hate a company for a single mistake they made?

December 12, 2001 7:14:14 PM

But Mat, in future Radeons, if ATI really improves, and actually becomes an Nvidia-like driver programmer, would you have a change of mind against them? And that is a big IF they change their attitudes.
December 13, 2001 12:20:48 AM

Matrismo, no disrespect intended, but just how long do you hold a grudge? Admittedly, ATI did purposfully mislead the public with regard to the Q3 test. It was deliberate, purposful and dishonest, but I challenge you to name me one company that has not done something simular.

If you boycot ATI for the rest of your life, here's a few other companies that you should think of boycotting:

INTEL: Knew about the floating point error in the origional Pentium chip for months before it was revealed to the public. Knew about it, knew how to fix it, covered it up, denied that it existed when it was finally revealed, refused to rectify the situation and finally only backed down in the face of enormous public pressure.

AMD: The current XP rating. AMD even forces the mobo manifacturers and Microsoft to reveal only the XP rating and not the true MHz of the chip.

CIRIX: Same as AMD except that it was their 686 processor.

So Matrismo, what processor do YOU use? If it is a Mac then I solute you as someone who stays true to their convictions.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
December 13, 2001 2:13:46 AM

My axp 1800+ says 1800+ and on the bottom shows 1.54GHZ in the system properties on winXP..but matisaro..i respect ya a whole lot but about cheating..heck i do it all the time :)  There's a lotta ways to get around things and cheating is one of em..it doesn't hurt as long as you dont get caught..in this case ati got caught and now they're trying to fix it..dont hold this grudge on ati for this flaw..no one is perfect..i cant wait til i save up enough cash to get my hands on a 8500 :D 
December 13, 2001 9:29:13 AM

NO amd man, I wont hold it against them forever, I only will not purchase the radeon 8500, to hold a company at fault for eternity on one mistake is foolhardy, to forgive a company and buy the very product they tried to sell me by cheating, also is foolhardy.

December 13, 2001 9:30:14 AM

Yes, if radeon improves its driver support. Also, if they dont pull this kind of stunt again, and their next card is a good card compared to whatever is out there at that time, then yes, I will have no problem buying ati.

December 13, 2001 9:33:11 AM

It is not a grudge knowan.(ps: thats Matisaro).

I will not buy a radeon8500 because ati tried to sell it to me via cheating, I object to this. I will not hold it against them forever.

AMD's pr ratings are far from cheating and they do not hide the true megahertz of their processors, dont know about cyrix, and as for intel, thats their bad I guess.

Nvidia has not done something to my knowledge similar(in reference to your challenge). They have never purposely falsified benchmark scores to sell a card, and if they did I would treat them in the same manner.

December 15, 2001 12:26:41 AM

i am pro-ATI

i think 8500DV is the best of all card

but we have to wait for a good driver for this new topnotch
product

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.
!