G

Earlier I had no problem playing multiplayer games over the Internet. Now when I try to start a multiplayer game with TCP/Ip i get problems.
In Heroes of Might and Magic 3 i receive the error: "Error initializing TCP/Ip connection, try again", in Disciples 2 the option for TCP/Ip doesn't exist anymore, only hotseat. I can play Unreal Tournament using Gamespy Arcade, but that uses the IPX protocol.
All other communications works properly, except that I can't send/receive video in netmeeting.
I don't know what has happened, I tried installing XP again (As upgrade) but the problem persists. I use a ADSL connection, no router or firewall.
Help...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Earlier I had no problem playing multiplayer games over the Internet. Now when I try to start a multiplayer game with TCP/Ip i get problems.
Anything changed from "earlier" to now?

Can you ping the default gateway (from DOS) when this problem occurs?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

I't was quite some time ago that I played with TCP/Ip so alot has propably happened, but I don't knoww all (alot of installeds/uninstalls etc).
There is no problem in pinging the gateway, the TCP/ip connection problem is not random but persists always as i start a multiplayer game.
ICQ, Direct Connect, Audiogalaxy, Pop3/SMTP all works properly as does my ftp server.

* Very quick response to my question though, ! :) *
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ruatha3 on 05/02/02 07:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
since the problem seems to be limited to those games, have you tried gaming forums for those particular games to see if anyone that uses them has experienced those problems? Seems to me that would be a better bet as the lower levels of the protocol stack seem to be working fine.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Alas, the problem does not seem to be restricted too anyone game but to all games(?) I have tried, there seems to be something that games does to check the TCP protocol that has been disturbed on my computer.
I have searched for information about not being able to use TCP/Ip with both games but comeup with nothing. So it doesn't seem to be a problem related to those games :(
I have tried three versions of Heroes of might and magic (Standard, Shadow of death and armageddons blade) I don't think I have any other game that uses the TCP protocol.

Is there any program that checks the network connection for problems, some kind of diagnostics?, I will look on the net for such a program now.

Thanx for your reply, any more ideas are welcome.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ruatha3 on 05/02/02 03:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>