Windows 8 secure boot would 'exclude' Linux

G

Good find!

Most people who buy a system from an OEM will only ever run windows on the pc!

Besides, if this is in the UEFI, can the Mobo makers just not5 make a Flash without this restriction, simple update and presto, anyOS!

Expect this to be another M$ double-talk, such as their "reduced functionality" bit which really means the machine won't do squat until you succumb to their extortion.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Then again, since the majority of Linux user build their own desktop, I really see this not applying for it's a feature on the motherboard, not the OS. I can see the top-tier manufactures (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc) allowing this feature to be changed, save on OEM boards where the majority of people buying OEM machines just use what is installed anyway.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Also once the linux nerds get their hands on it its only a matter of time before there is a work around. 5$ says that a week after release someone will get linux dual booting on there.

Remember when it was impossible to run Mac OS on windows hardware?

orestesdd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
I don't want secure boot in my build which I implemented as a dual boot system. Thus, I don't think I will upgrade to M$ W8 Pro. However, I may upgrade my Toshiba laptop can't use "secure boot' according to W8 upgrade assistance. M$ W8 seems to suck more than I originally thought.

riser

Illustrious
This is awesome. They're finally bringing true security into the PC world. I know many of you don't truly understand the issue, but this is a significant step in the direction of good security for Microsoft and their business platform.

I know about this a few months ago and I'm waiting for it to be released.