Problems with WAG54G or WUSB54G

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

I have both the above products from Linksys. The WAG54G being the
modem/router, the WUSB54G being the 54G USB network adapter.

Lately I've started getting problems where the connection drops quite
frequently and when I look at the task bar icon for the adapter connection,
it seems to have dropped down to showing 2mb/s.

This seems to be random and I've been trying to pin it down to a number of
things that may have changed. First I thought it was the WAG54G so I have
reflashed firmware and reset to factory defaults. Made no difference. I
found later drivers for the WUSB54G adapter - again no difference. I had
recently changed antivirus software. Uninstalled this - no difference.

I know I definitely have a neighbour with an 11b access point but this has
been around for months so I can't see somehow why this would suddenly be
affecting my connection.

The problem appears to be worse with heavy network load and using bittorrent
but again, I've been using this for months with no problems apart from now.

Any ideas?

Andy
3 answers Last reply
More about problems wag54g wusb54g
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    I used to have that problem ALL the time.
    Somebody told me to turn off the zero wireless configuration service in XP.

    I think that has helped quite a bit, but not always.

    "Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in message
    > I have both the above products from Linksys. The WAG54G being the
    > modem/router, the WUSB54G being the 54G USB network adapter.
    >
    > Lately I've started getting problems where the connection drops quite
    > frequently and when I look at the task bar icon for the adapter
    connection,
    > it seems to have dropped down to showing 2mb/s.
    >
    > This seems to be random and I've been trying to pin it down to a number of
    > things that may have changed. First I thought it was the WAG54G so I have
    > reflashed firmware and reset to factory defaults. Made no difference. I
    > found later drivers for the WUSB54G adapter - again no difference. I had
    > recently changed antivirus software. Uninstalled this - no difference.
    >
    > I know I definitely have a neighbour with an 11b access point but this has
    > been around for months so I can't see somehow why this would suddenly be
    > affecting my connection.
    >
    > The problem appears to be worse with heavy network load and using
    bittorrent
    > but again, I've been using this for months with no problems apart from
    now.

    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Andy

  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband (More info?)

    "Steve and Betty Jones" <sbJones@ameriturst.com> wrote in message
    > I used to have that problem ALL the time.
    > Somebody told me to turn off the zero wireless configuration service in
    XP.

    > I think that has helped quite a bit, but not always.
    >

    > "Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in message
    > > I have both the above products from Linksys. The WAG54G being the
    > > modem/router, the WUSB54G being the 54G USB network adapter.
    > >
    > > Lately I've started getting problems where the connection drops quite
    > > frequently and when I look at the task bar icon for the adapter
    > connection,
    > > it seems to have dropped down to showing 2mb/s.
    > >
    > > This seems to be random and I've been trying to pin it down to a number
    of
    > > things that may have changed. First I thought it was the WAG54G so I
    have
    > > reflashed firmware and reset to factory defaults. Made no difference. I
    > > found later drivers for the WUSB54G adapter - again no difference. I had
    > > recently changed antivirus software. Uninstalled this - no difference.
    > >
    > > I know I definitely have a neighbour with an 11b access point but this
    has
    > > been around for months so I can't see somehow why this would suddenly be
    > > affecting my connection.
    > >
    > > The problem appears to be worse with heavy network load and using
    > bittorrent
    > > but again, I've been using this for months with no problems apart from
    > now.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Andy

    How do you turn off the zero wireless config service?

    I failed to mention that I don't use the Linksys utility for the PC wireless
    NIC - I found that this was even worse ie. disconnects every 5 mins or so. I
    only use the basic driver for the NIC. I'm wondering if I turn off the
    windows zero wireless config service, would this then need to be used ie.
    the Linksys utility ???

    Andy

    TO turn off the wireless zero configuration (Stops the frequent timeouts
    with WUSB54G) go to Administrative tools --> Services --> Find
    'Wireless Zero Configuration' --> open it and where the pull down menu
    says 'Automatic', set it to 'Disabled'.

    That will stop most of the frequent timeouts that happen when there are
    heavy loads. I hope this helps, because it fixed my problem about 95%.

    --
    SOS571s

Connection Wireless Networking