I hate ATI

ClancyDK

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an old Rage Fury Maxx graphic card, and since no decent Windows 2k driver showed up, i has been waiting for XP. I was convinced that Ati would make a Maxx-driver for XP but no. Instead they are lying about it. Look here:

Press Releases 2001

Tuesday October 2, 2001

All current ATI graphics boards Windows XP-ready

ATI technology enhances Windows XP multimedia and productivity benefits

MARKHAM, Ontario –
ATI Technologies Inc. (TSE:ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT), a world leader in the supply of graphics, video and multimedia solutions, announced today that its current line of desktop and multimedia graphics boards will support Microsoft’s new Windows XP operating system, available on October 25.

All ATI desktop and multimedia products based on the following technologies are certified as Windows XP-optimized:

RADEON™ 8500

RADEON™ 7500

RADEON™ 7200

RADEON™ 7000

RADEON™

RADEON™ VE

RAGE™ 128 Pro

RAGE™ 128

Customers who own an existing ATI graphics board or are about to buy a new ATI product, and then purchase Windows XP on or after October 25, 2001, will be able to download Windows XP drivers from http://www.ati.com and immediately enjoy the benefits an XP-enabled ATI graphics board will provide. For a complete list of products visit www.ati.com.

“The significant digital media, Internet communications and personal productivity advances associated with Windows XP will be further enhanced by ATI desktop and multimedia graphics technologies that are XP-ready,” said Jewelle Schiedel-Webb, Director, Desktop Marketing, ATI Technologies Inc. “Windows XP extends the personal computing experience by uniting PCs, devices and services – ATI graphics products further enhance the visual experience associated with those benefits.”

“We’re pleased that ATI is enhancing the Windows XP experience for users by making all of their current products XP-ready,” says Charmaine Gravning, Windows XP Product Manager at Microsoft. “The combination of Windows XP and ATI’s Windows XP-ready products will elevate users’ visual experience with digital movies, digital video and digital photography.”

The Windows XP drivers, which will be available for download from www.ati.com website and that will be included with ATI products shipped after October 25, will conform to the strict standards Microsoft has set for products designed for Windows XP, ensuring users have the best visual experience possible. http://www.ati.com/na/pages/corporate/press/2001/4413.html

Oh! They will post enchanced drivers for boards based on Rage 128 Pro?? No, not the rage fury maxx. Of course i could just go and buy a new card, but tell me why i would prefer a Radeon to a GF3?? Then i would have to switch my board the next time a new version of windows appears! Maybe even if Microsoft releases a SP to XP!!

Nvidia is still supporting TNT1 for both 2k, XP and Linux! Ati has problems creating a Radeon-driver which works in XP... Ati might be older than nvidia, but they suck nevertheless.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Rage Fury MAXX is not supported under those OSs because they don't allow it to work. The Rage Fury MAXX manages it's dual graphics processors through software. Windows 2000 and Windows XP are not aware of that. Also, these OSs don't allow direct communication to hardware. It's impossible to supoort the Rage Fury MAXX in that implementation as far as I know.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Agreed. I have a Fury Maxx too. I think Fury Maxx is designed for gaming and multimedia usage, so ATI doesn't even have NT_2k_XP driver in mind. Any way, if u play games and watching DVD, why need 2k or XP. Win98 is the best ever plantform.

Once I used my i386/34+i387 and 4 MB Ram for CAD...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
the Rage Fury MAXX is SLOW!!! In fact, it's slower than a GeForce2 MX-400 in many tasks. Why would you want it to play games?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Well, I know Fury-Maxx is slow consider nowdays. But when I bought it, GF wasn't even very popular. Besides, I do collections of video cards, not just buy one and play games. Fury-Maxx lacks good XP drivers, so why should I use XP. I don't like XP anyway. NT4 is the best plantform ever for professional apps, win2k isn't bad either. But what will I get from the XP Pro? I have the XP Pro, but I never liked it, never used.

Once I used my i386/34+i387 and 4 MB Ram for CAD...