Cheap software, does it work

I recently got a "retired" Dell through my workplace. P-4 1.6 Ghz, 20 GB
HD, 17" monitor -- GREAT price.
Problem is it came loaded with Win 2000 Pro, license/product key provided
but no software disk. I'm not sure what is involved in making a copy of the
OS from the computer or if it is even practical.

I have been looking at OS prices, thinking I would go to XP anyway if I am
having to buy a disk. I have found several sellers with very reasonable
prices on XP Home and Pro disks but these come with no COA or product key.
They say these disks are specifically Dell OEM disks and that they will load
onto a Dell machine without a product key. Does anyone know the validity of
that claim? Assuming it does work, is it still better to spend the extra
to get the disk with COA/PK?
Any advice would be appreciated.
DMSLewis

Several weeks ago I bought a copy of XP Home for my daughter. Bought it at
Best Buy for either 30 or 40 dollars after instant and mail in rebates. If
you're not in a huge hurry, hold out for a sale.
Monica
"DMS Lewis" <dlewisto@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
>I recently got a "retired" Dell through my workplace. P-4 1.6 Ghz, 20 GB
> HD, 17" monitor -- GREAT price.
> Problem is it came loaded with Win 2000 Pro, license/product key provided
> but no software disk. I'm not sure what is involved in making a copy of
> the
> OS from the computer or if it is even practical.
>
> I have been looking at OS prices, thinking I would go to XP anyway if I
> am
> having to buy a disk. I have found several sellers with very reasonable

"DMS Lewis" <dlewisto@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
>I recently got a "retired" Dell through my workplace. P-4 1.6 Ghz, 20 GB
> HD, 17" monitor -- GREAT price.
> Problem is it came loaded with Win 2000 Pro, license/product key provided
> but no software disk. I'm not sure what is involved in making a copy of
> the
> OS from the computer or if it is even practical.
>
> I have been looking at OS prices, thinking I would go to XP anyway if I
> am
> having to buy a disk. I have found several sellers with very reasonable
> prices on XP Home and Pro disks but these come with no COA or product key.
> They say these disks are specifically Dell OEM disks and that they will
> load
> onto a Dell machine without a product key. Does anyone know the validity
> of
> that claim? Assuming it does work, is it still better to spend the extra
> to get the disk with COA/PK?
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> DMSLewis

Go here to get a retail copy of WinXP with the product key:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ThirdCategoryList.jsp?SecondCategoryCode=0710

Otherwise you'll simply want to acquire a Dell-badged Windows 2000
professional OS CD, as you have a license for it. Putting XP on the machine
without the COA/license or w/o having a product key with the disc would
frankly be illegal.

I'd encourage you to move up to XP and encourage you to upgrade your machine
to 512mb of RAM if the machine doesn't have it already.

Stew

"DMS Lewis" <dlewisto@ruraltel.net> wrote:
>I have found several sellers with very reasonable
>prices on XP Home and Pro disks but these come with no COA or product key.

This is essentially stolen software, and is illegal to use on your
machine, though it may work for a while. Note that MicroSoft is
currently 'beta testing' their licence key authentication system, and
will soon require you to have a valid, real, paid-for license (key) in
order to get Windows Updates and such.

The Dell 8100 systems with Win 2000 Pro do not have any way for you to create an
OS install CD. You do not need a specific Dell Windows 2000 restore CD to
reinstall the OS with the COA & product key on the system. Most any Windows
2000 non-upgrade CD will do just fine. They are all just about the same in my
experience, having reloaded Win 2000 on many Dell systems I have refurbed and
resold.

If you do decide to install XP, do yourself a favor and wipe the hard drive
clean rather than installing an upgrade version. Actually, you can still wipe
the drive clean and install an upgrade version, but only if you have the install
CD for an earlier version of Windows (98, ME, 2000).

Either way, you should plan for the possibility that you will need to install
motherboard drivers that are not included on the operating system install media.
The motherboard chipset is an Intel 850-series, so the drivers are available
from either the Dell or the Intel web site... Ben Myers

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:16:14 -0500, "DMS Lewis" <dlewisto@ruraltel.net> wrote:

>I recently got a "retired" Dell through my workplace. P-4 1.6 Ghz, 20 GB
>HD, 17" monitor -- GREAT price.
>Problem is it came loaded with Win 2000 Pro, license/product key provided
>but no software disk. I'm not sure what is involved in making a copy of the
>OS from the computer or if it is even practical.
>
>I have been looking at OS prices, thinking I would go to XP anyway if I am
>having to buy a disk. I have found several sellers with very reasonable
>prices on XP Home and Pro disks but these come with no COA or product key.
>They say these disks are specifically Dell OEM disks and that they will load
>onto a Dell machine without a product key. Does anyone know the validity of
>that claim? Assuming it does work, is it still better to spend the extra
>to get the disk with COA/PK?
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>DMSLewis

I know that is the way it's supposed to work, but, when I bought the XP
upgrade at BB for my daughter, I wiped the hdd clean before doing the
install. I dug out an old 98 CD for upgrade verification but the system
NEVER asked for it or any other previously installed version :eek:

Actually, you can still wipe
> the drive clean and install an upgrade version, but only if you have the
> install
> CD for an earlier version of Windows (98, ME, 2000).

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Not without a licence you cant
"Monica" <monicakm@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
>I know that is the way it's supposed to work, but, when I bought the XP
>upgrade at BB for my daughter, I wiped the hdd clean before doing the
>install. I dug out an old 98 CD for upgrade verification but the system
>NEVER asked for it or any other previously installed version :eek:
>
> Actually, you can still wipe
>> the drive clean and install an upgrade version, but only if you have the
>> install
>> CD for an earlier version of Windows (98, ME, 2000).

Why do you consider that there's a problem because the Dell came with W2K on
it? Exactly what do you hope to gain with upgrading to XP? If your
worried about the software disks just get an imagine program like Ghost and
then you don't have to worry about ever reloading the software.

[...]

Of course, with a license (COA)... Ben Myers

<ssrlouis@hushmail.com> wrote in message

> Stay with Win 2000, your machine is old and XP will slow it down.

<snip>

I disagree. Win2K boot times to desktop are almost always significantly
longer than WinXP.

Additionally, running XP in 'classic mode' with many of the "features" (eye
candy) disabled makes any performance differences undiscernable.

Additionally, XP has msconfig and system restore native, along with a native
CD burner and firewall.

Any P4 with 256mb of RAM or above will run XP fine (512mb would be ideal).

Stew

<ssrlouis@hushmail.com> wrote in message

> Stay with Win 2000, your machine is old and XP will slow it down.
> If you feel you must have a physical copy of W2K go here:
> http://www.salesintl.com/product.asp?0=218&1=235&3=173
> They also sell XP Home (Dell) for $56

Yes, but that copy of XP Home would NOT be legal.

While I agree that the op should stay with W2K it would not be for the
reasons you give. A P4 1.6ghz machine has more than enough horsepower to
run XP just fine.

<ssrlouis@hushmail.com> wrote in message

Stay with Win 2000, your machine is old and XP will slow it down.
If you feel you must have a physical copy of W2K go here:
http://www.salesintl.com/product.asp?0=218&1=235&3=173
They also sell XP Home (Dell) for $56

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I also must agree with S.Lewis. For additional reasons, mostly Microsoft
support. A new version of Internet Explorer is due out sometime this year
and from what I've read, will NOT support any previous operating systems
other than XP.

One feature which is also better is the compatibility mode. We {{{still}}}
use some software from the DOS days and was unable to use it under Me or
2000. But in Win95 mode was are able to transfer it to the new systems and
use it. XP is just a better OS and any of the older OS's and if the
hardware will support it (not minimal but realistic) I would continue to
argue for the upgrade. As always however, with hardware too old your just
plain better off recycling it and going modern. FWIW, we just replaced one
old machine (in an emergency) with one we got a SAM's club, <$500 for a 1.8
GHz AMD, 1/2 GB memory, 120 GB hard disk, 17" flat screen monitor and DVD
burner. Now I prefer Dell, but that's a lot of machine for less than $500.
I've used it, and while not the fastest, for data processing, it does the
job quite well. Certainly not worth an extra 200-300 for a Dell (for what we
will be using it for). Comes with XP2 of course.

So I cast my single vote for XP running on a $500 entry-level computer as
the way-to-go, over a slower, older system running an obsolete operating
system.