Apple's New Mouse is Magic, Has Multitouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've ordered one of these to see what they're like. The multitouch on the laptops works so well that I miss it on my desktops. I just hope this mouse works out better than the Mighty Mouse which just didn't work. The scroll ball killed the Mighty Mouse.
I'm guessing it won't have dedicated sensors for right and left clicks like the Mighty Mouse had so it won't be much good for gaming but I'll keep my trusty Microsoft mouse around for stuff like that. For general OS use, if it can work as well as their touchpads do then it could be a seriously great device.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jebbadiah[/nom]yeah, battery life: 4 months, after that you'll have to pay 20 bucks to get a reloading-device i bet![/citation]

I'm pretty sure it runs off AA batteries. That's what the Mighty Mouse used and looking at the underneath pic of the device it looks like it takes the same. The batteries lasted in the Mighty Mouse for a pretty long time though. Several months at least.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Spanky is right. The multi-touch connivence is just astounding. All i have is 2 finger scroll on my track-pad, I love it though. This is an area where apple impresses me.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Hmm, I'm sceptical about multi touch on a mouse... the advantage of proper buttons is that your fingers can maintain static presence on the mouse, allowing you to fully control the movement of said mouse whilst clicking the buttons.

Having to take a finger off the 'button' to tap it instead of click it down will mean a certain amount of loss of control, probably not a huge amount for simple clicking actions, but some of those other actions, like sweeping your fingers across the mouse (I assume to scroll) are goign to require you to practically keep the mouse still in order to carry them out.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking mouse (which is something I cant say about the mighty mouse), even if it still appears a bit too small for my tastes (no I dont have mutton size hands or fingers, just normal ones) and thank gods they've done away with that horrible little pin sized ball in the middle, and I do love multi touch (Apple od it ok, but just not as amazingly as some people tend to suggest), and the concept is interesting, I think it may actually make the mouse less intuitive and flexible, rather than more so, and I doubt it actually has any more functionality than a decent logitech, Razer, MS.. etc etc, with a multidirectional scroll button (in fact taking the number of buttons in to consideration it probably has less).

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]claudeb[/nom]Spanky is right. The multi-touch connivence is just astounding. All i have is 2 finger scroll on my track-pad, I love it though. This is an area where apple impresses me.[/citation]

Well, my Sony laptop has the ability to scroll (vert & hor) with only one finger on the trackpad, leaving my middle finger free to gesture at multi touch mac users :). I think multi touch gets a bit over rated, lets not forget that it requires pre-defined gestures, and is as such still quite limited as an interface, hardly like the amazing potential of intuitive gesture recognition that I'm still waiing for (ala minority report style control). Zoom, scroll, drag, drop, page forward, page back, i can do all these with one finger on my G5 mouse, why would I wish to use two?

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
actually, I can see one really good use for this... as a remote media centre control device. if the surface can be used as a trackpad too that would be pretty cool (although I'd prefer the motion control of other devices in the pipeline to be fair) especially coupled with the Mac's media centre capabilities.... oh wait...

markbene

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I know there is limited real estate on this thing but I really need 3-4 buttons. I like being able to use expose without having to hunt and peck on the keyboard. I also use the 3 finger swipe a lot on my notebook to switch spaces and that would be real useful on my desktop. A 3 button is pretty much mandatory if you want to use a 3D program like Blender.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]Hmm, I'm sceptical about multi touch on a mouse... the advantage of proper buttons is that your fingers can maintain static presence on the mouse, allowing you to fully control the movement of said mouse whilst clicking the buttons. Having to take a finger off the 'button' to tap it instead of click it down will mean a certain amount of loss of control, probably not a huge amount for simple clicking actions, but some of those other actions, like sweeping your fingers across the mouse (I assume to scroll) are goign to require you to practically keep the mouse still in order to carry them out.Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking mouse (which is something I cant say about the mighty mouse), even if it still appears a bit too small for my tastes (no I dont have mutton size hands or fingers, just normal ones) and thank gods they've done away with that horrible little pin sized ball in the middle, and I do love multi touch (Apple od it ok, but just not as amazingly as some people tend to suggest), and the concept is interesting, I think it may actually make the mouse less intuitive and flexible, rather than more so, and I doubt it actually has any more functionality than a decent logitech, Razer, MS.. etc etc, with a multidirectional scroll button (in fact taking the number of buttons in to consideration it probably has less).[/citation]

I'm pretty sure the Magic Mouse uses a similar thing as the Mighty Mouse where there is a physical click. The mighty mouse was basically a one button mouse that had touch sensors on the front end to detect if you were clicking on the left/right or middle of the mouse. The drawback was that you had to lift your left finger off (if left handed) to do a right click and it was physically impossible to do a joint left and right click (so it wasn't much good for gaming). I'm guessing the Magic Mouse will use similar tech and will have a similar drawback for gaming.

[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]Well, my Sony laptop has the ability to scroll (vert & hor) with only one finger on the trackpad, leaving my middle finger free to gesture at multi touch mac users . I think multi touch gets a bit over rated, lets not forget that it requires pre-defined gestures, and is as such still quite limited as an interface, hardly like the amazing potential of intuitive gesture recognition that I'm still waiing for (ala minority report style control). Zoom, scroll, drag, drop, page forward, page back, i can do all these with one finger on my G5 mouse, why would I wish to use two?[/citation]

I know laptops have had such scrolling for a while but I was really blown away by the multitouch trackpads. Its easily something you can live without, like a microwave, but you do tend to appreciate it if you've got it. I often find myself missing the ability to twirl my fingers to rotate an image or pinch to zoom in and out when I'm using my desktop. If this works as well as the multitouch trackpads do then it'll be a seriously impressive consumer mouse. For gaming you're best off with something else though.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Looks good...

Wonder how it would be for gaming? For basic games yeah. But for PC users who play with 4-8 buttons, we need the tactile feel of the buttons to know what we are pressing. Also the "give" of the button would be less stressful on the fingers than the solid surface of the Magic Mouse.

For every day uses, that mouse should be a killer product.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Looks good...Wonder how it would be for gaming? For basic games yeah. But for PC users who play with 4-8 buttons, we need the tactile feel of the buttons to know what we are pressing. Also the "give" of the button would be less stressful on the fingers than the solid surface of the Magic Mouse.For every day uses, that mouse should be a killer product.[/citation]

It does have some "give" since I'm pretty sure it can click like a regular (all be it one buttoned) mouse. It'll work out whether its a left or right click depending on where your fingers are on the multitouch surface. So it'll be usable for some games but for ones that require the ability to click both left and right mouse buttons at the same time (i.e. in an FPS where holding right click to zoom in, left click to fire) will be awkward to say the least.

I haven't been convinced by Apple's mice in the past and have always thought this is one area where Microsoft clearly wins but for day-to-day use and work use, this one could win out.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]The other wireless controllers from Apple have been AA battery powered. I'd like to see something with the option to recharge via USB. Can you image having to run out to 7-11 in the middle of the night to buy more batteries if you're in the middle of a project?Mac OS Users: Tom's is currently conducting a poll with regards to a Mac OS forum.http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32340-12-forumhttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] unix-forum[/citation]

Do like most of us do. I keep several pairs of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries around my house. When one set needs replacing I change it out and re-charge the spent ones. Whats so complicated about that.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Don't worry Windows users.
Since MS can not buy out or shut down Apple they will copy this idea soon enough.
They will then incorporate it into their OS with draconian DRM so it slows the drivers down and make it hard for third party vendors to copy and claim they invented it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS