How to Add Outbound ICMP Firewall Rule on Netgear DG834G

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.firewalls,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Does anyone know how to allow outbound ICMP traffic on a Netgear DG834G
router without simply allowing everything outbound?

Basically, I've tightened security on the DG834G to only allow outbound
those services I want users to run (eg. HTTP, DNS, etc.) through a series of
firewall rules. This works absolutely fine. However, I also wanted to allow
outbound pings, tracert, etc. and I cannot see how to allow outbound ICMP
traffic. If I try to define a new Service I only get the options of service
type TCP or UDP.

Any ideas?

Thanks, David
1 answer Last reply
More about outbound icmp firewall rule netgear dg834g
  1. You'll have to enable the telnet service on the router and enable it that way. It is not available through the web admin which is a pain!

    Note any changes you make to the router via telnet are lost when the router is reboot.

    To enable telnet on the router, go to http://x.x.x.x/setup.cgi?todo=debug where x.x.x.x is your router's ip

    Now start a telnet session to the router (start->run->telnet x.x.x.x)

    Type the following in the telnet program

    iptables -I OUT_FILTER 1 -p icmp -j ACCEPT

    you should now be able to ping

Firewalls Netgear Wireless Networking