Detecting GeForce2 TI Chip

evolive

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I used to have a Viper V770 Ultra card and when I do the whole POST thing it says ULTRA. But then my OS (9x, 2k, XP) always detects it as a pro. Recently I replaced the fan on it and indeed it is a ultra chip :) w00t. But still.. dumb OS... as I thought.

I have been using SiSoftware Sandra 001 Pro to do some I guess benchmarking. The Ultra card always comes out as a Pro. That pissed me off.

In any case... let's move on to my newest collection...

Now I have a VisionTek Xtasy 5864 GeForce2 TI and yes this card is sweet! I thought that when playing CS my fps was low cuz of my processor (p2 2x400MHz and p3 800MHz running at 600MHz cuz my stupid mobo is jacked; IWill DBD100... yes using a Abit Slotket 3.. should have bought the one from Iwill instead... argh!) In any case.. the vid card boosted my fps from 30 to 60 and that sucker stays there too. Running it on the 600mhz will be even better but heh.. 400mhz and 60fps is pretty damn good! smooth as hell. :) so if you are deciding.. i think GeForce2 TI is a good investement.. (www.mwave.com for 125 plus shipping (and tax))

Okay on to my problem... the good thing about this card now is that my os (currently 2k) is detecting it as a gf2ti... BUT.. when running sis sandra and wcpuid it does the same (almost) crap as my tnt2 ultra card...

SIS Sandra says: GF2 GTS/AGP <--- oh my gosh it got the AGP right!! fu*ker!!!
WCPUID says: GF2 GTS DDR <--- oh my gosh it go tthe DDR right!! fu*ker!!!

See what my problems is? It seems that my vid card seems to downgrade all the time! I have this dilemna now that I got ripped or something.. but ever since I have changed the fan on the TNT2 Ultra I am more relieved that the freaking IWill DBD100 mobo is the one that deserves the F U * K E R!!!

But my system is running quite nicely!! So I do kind of like it.. but don't worry... I WILL (hehe) get a new mobo supporting my dual p3 800mhz (EB) hehe w00t right? gonna be awesome (btw.. knwo any good mobos for that? tyan? gigabyte? and please think of saving money too.. last thing i want is get one from asus unless it's cheap)

Okay.. my question :) Does anyone have the same problem? I am trying to call VisionTek themselves but cust sup waiting time is like i dunno more than 5 min for sure cuz i couldn't stand it anymore :)

I know I got a GeForce2 TI chip.. I better.. otherwise I'm gonna... i dunno ping my roomates!

Thanx.. let me know... and yes I am a new comer to Tom's Hardware and I like it.. so give me a nice welcome...

Piece! (yes i know it's peace)

[evolive][smyle]
smytech, inc.

evolive@gmx.net

Current System Spec:
IWill DBD100: Dual P2 400MHz MMX; PC-100 4x128MB

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Hi there. I know what're you talking about coz I have the same card. If you use reference driver from Nvidia, it's reconized as TNT2/Pro. I've studied the BIOS and found it's a modified standed TNT2 BIOS with Ultra setting, even though V770U uses a Ultra Chip. This make sense that you can't flash the BIOS with the Standard Nvidia Flasher since the BIOS isn't reconized. This isn't the problem of your motherboard. I've been looking for a BIOS flash program all over the internet. But no one seems to understand my situation. Of course I know Diamond uses non-traditional desigh. Anyway enough of the V770U. I've never payed a close attation to my VisionTek GF2 Ti. Try to check if it is Gfx card BIOS related. I'll let you know if I find something. You know CS don't take advantage of dual CPUs, that's why it seems slow(exp. when you're playing a 32-player game). GF2 Ti is fast enough to play CS. Actually I get a consistent 71fps with my PIII-733+Diamond Savage4(166/166)+512MB SDRAM, win2k, when I hosted 32 people on a LAN Party(I was playing on my computer too).

Once I used my i386/34+i387 and 4 MB Ram for CAD...

evolive

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
the v770u isnt' flashable.... isn't it? if so.. haha i doubt there is a upgrade for the bios cuz every single site i went too all it talks about heatsink, how good it is, price, and that's it.. nothign about bios upgrade...

now.. the thing is... the tnt2ultra from crative labs... it detects it as a ulra.. i believe... but we'll see as i ask my friend to run sis sandra too.

do you think that it would show up as a pro or ultra? (creative labs tnt2ultra dunno what model it is but it got the chip.. latez)

Current System Spec:

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Man, I compared My V770U (BIOS ID: v202L 4A02)and Diamond Savage4(BIOS ID: v226D 4A0B). They both use the same BIOS unit. I guess it's possible to flash the V770U. Still, I'm not sure if the Savage4 BIOS flash program will do the job.

G

well evolive..i just opened my wcpuid and i have a leadtek winfast titanium.. it says it is a NVIDIA GEFORCE 2 GTS/DDR

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
seems the software (wcpuid, sandra) is simply little dated and the ID forthe Ti cards dosent exist in them yet is all probably will be addressed in future updates

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>

evolive

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
:p such simple thought and i never thought of it.. yes it's true that it can be outdated... hmm... but im too lazy to format my comp jsut for a vid card.. i'll try it on my gf's comp since im selling her my awe64 and tnt2 ultra card for 30 bucks :) and i;ll just run the latest sandra from there... so if you are right.. actually... argh nm... cuz then i woulnd't know if it's my mobo or not... aye

but it's a good thought.. i'll wait a little longer... thanx guys for the help!

Current System Spec:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sandra and WCPUID use whatever is the closest match, they haven't been updated to have the GF2Ti in the database. As for the TNT2 card, it is flashable but no longer supported by Diamond, and they removed the updated BIOs from their site with no hopes for new releases.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Actually, I've never seen Diamond post any BIOS updates from the day they released V770. There is not even a flash program available. They shouldn't remove any finished work, right? Stealth III S540(savage4) has such a flash program. So if Diamond had one, why not post it? Anyway, you don't have to flash the the v770 coz no big deal. BTW, Sandra reads registry entries; WCUPID and HardwareInfo(a good dos based) read from BIOS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I bought a new TNT2U, when they first hit the market, a couple years ago. It didn't work right on the system I had, so Diamond had me update the BIOS, so yes, they DID have a BIOS update for it.

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Well, I see what you mean, the early versions. It makes sense. So what's the final BIOS revision, man? And you do have a flash program then? I'll be very appreciated if you can send it to me by email, please. team_vita_c@hotmail.com

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Well I stand corrected .. sandra shows my geforce ti 200 as just that .. a geforce Ti 200 hmmmmmmmm

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Ahhh the sig of the week has been changed .... what Loooong week it's been</b> </font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some companies plan ahead and put entries in for cards they know are entering the market, while skipping those they don't know about, because they don't know about them!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Yeah but my version of sandra is nearly a year old fwiw

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Ahhh the sig of the week has been changed .... what Loooong week it's been</b> </font color=blue>

evolive

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
lagger: geforce 2 ti or geforce ti?

i gave my gf my viper v770ultra and guess what? it was detected as a pro again... crap man... diamond must have screwed up on that card. probably should've settled for the creative labs version of the tnt2ultra...

still waiting for a solid solution for why SOME cards arent' detected right...

Current System Spec:

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
sandra detects my geforce 3 ti 200 correctly

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>