SFC refuses to work

silat

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2005

I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have win
xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the correct
cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd which I
have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the streamlined disk
or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
Any suggestions?
--
+Silat

Confirm that you've followed this procedure.
With Windows up and running. Close your open programs.
Place your XP CD in the CDROM drive. (If setup pops-up just close (exit)
that window).
From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
CMD <enter>

in the command prompt window type
SFC /SCANNOW <enter>

That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of
Windows system files

If it comes up with an exception message, or cannot find the CD drive, post
back with all details.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Silat" wrote
>I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have win
> xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
> correct
> cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
> which I
> have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the streamlined
> disk
> or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
> Any suggestions?
> --
> +Silat

silat

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2005

I can confirm that I have followed the procedure now and in the past with
CMD. It still asks for the cd. SFC goes for about 15 seconds then wont go any
further as it apparantly cant find the CD.:(
--
+Silat

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Confirm that you've followed this procedure.
> With Windows up and running. Close your open programs.
> Place your XP CD in the CDROM drive. (If setup pops-up just close (exit)
> that window).
> From XP menus, select "Command Prompt". (or from Run menu, type
> CMD <enter>
>
> in the command prompt window type
> SFC /SCANNOW <enter>
>

> That would get System File Checker running, and recheck your versions of
> Windows system files
>

> If it comes up with an exception message, or cannot find the CD drive, post
> back with all details.
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> --
>
> "Silat" wrote
> >I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have win
> > xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
> > correct
> > cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
> > which I
> > have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the streamlined
> > disk
> > or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > +Silat

dl

I assume the msg ' insert winxp sp2 disk' or similar is displayed and when
you insert slipstreamed cd ' cannot find' results.
Perhaps try a new slipstreamed cd, use AutoStreamer

"Silat" <Silat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have
win
> xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
correct
> cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
which I
> have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the streamlined
disk
> or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
> Any suggestions?
> --
> +Silat

silat

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2005

"Insert WinXP Disk"
Yes I have tried both the original and the slipstreamed version that I made
using AutoStreamer.
You are saying make another slipstreamed cd?

+Silat

"DL" wrote:

> I assume the msg ' insert winxp sp2 disk' or similar is displayed and when
> you insert slipstreamed cd ' cannot find' results.
> Perhaps try a new slipstreamed cd, use AutoStreamer
>
> "Silat" <Silat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have
> win
> > xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
> correct
> > cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
> which I
> > have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the streamlined
> disk
> > or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > +Silat

silat

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2005

I made a new disk and it does the same thing.
--
+Silat

"DL" wrote:

> I assume the msg ' insert winxp sp2 disk' or similar is displayed and when
> you insert slipstreamed cd ' cannot find' results.
> Perhaps try a new slipstreamed cd, use AutoStreamer
>
> "Silat" <Silat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have
> win
> > xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
> correct
> > cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
> which I
> > have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the streamlined
> disk
> > or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > +Silat

peter

Go to Start/Run enter regedit and click OK

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Software/Windows/Setup
Highlight it and on the right hand side you will see
ServicePackSourcePath and
SourcePath

Right-click those two items and "Modify" to read C:\

Assuming C:\ is your system partition.

SFC/SCANNOW explained:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
>I made a new disk and it does the same thing.
> --
> +Silat
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
>> I assume the msg ' insert winxp sp2 disk' or similar is displayed and
>> when
>> you insert slipstreamed cd ' cannot find' results.
>> Perhaps try a new slipstreamed cd, use AutoStreamer
>>
>> "Silat" <Silat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have
>> win
>> > xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
>> correct
>> > cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
>> which I
>> > have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the
>> > streamlined
>> disk
>> > or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
>> > Any suggestions?
>> > --
>> > +Silat

peter

P.S. That's assuming you copied the entire i386 from the installation CD to
your C: drive.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2 Fully Updated
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 360gb HDD, 2.0gb DDR
"Silat" <Silat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a new disk and it does the same thing.
> --
> +Silat
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
>> I assume the msg ' insert winxp sp2 disk' or similar is displayed and
>> when
>> you insert slipstreamed cd ' cannot find' results.
>> Perhaps try a new slipstreamed cd, use AutoStreamer
>>
>> "Silat" <Silat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have followed every direction I can find on the net about SFC. I have
>> win
>> > xp pro. No matter how I change the registry to find the files on the
>> correct
>> > cd or in the 386 folder Ive put on c drive it keeps asking for the cd
>> which I
>> > have. I have sp2 I have streamlined it with XP . Neither the
>> > streamlined
>> disk
>> > or the original XP pro disk make SFC work correctly.
>> > Any suggestions?
>> > --
>> > +Silat

peter

I agree it is BS...haven't the faintest idea why it would do that.

At the bottom of this page is a "Contact Me"....might help...?