hard drives-help

i just upgraded my computer to windows xp professional had it done at a
computer shop unfortunately i just realized that before i had two hard drives
and now i only have one. how do i find my other hard drive or do i need to
create a new area for an additional hard drive as windows xp seems to take a
long time to start up and i used to have windows millenium edition which
seemed much faster than this is. i hope someone can help me with this
problemhelp
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drives help

    Wes

    Did you have two physical hard drives before, or just one partitioned into
    two parts?..

    Re. performance, XP requires more RAM than ME, 512mb is a reasonable
    minimum, and more space on the hard drive as it is a much larger OS.. old
    slow drives will affect speed as does a video card with only small amounts
    of memory.. obviously, a system is only as fast as its slowest component..

    You might want to post specs for your machine here..

    Something you can do easily to improve performance is to run in classic
    mode.. go to Performance settings in Control Panel, and set visual effects
    to 'best performance'.. keep the 'drop shadows' option, i.e. check it..

    Two items that no longer affect performance as they did in the Win9x/ME
    computers are start-up programs, and a mass of icons on the desktop.. memory
    is handled way better in XP.. obviously, if there are way too many
    start-ups, they will start to cut into performance.. as a marker, I have 12
    in my notification area (ME's system tray), and find that they do not affect
    performance anywhere near to the point where I feel that they have to go..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "wes" <wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i just upgraded my computer to windows xp professional had it done at a
    > computer shop unfortunately i just realized that before i had two hard
    > drives
    > and now i only have one. how do i find my other hard drive or do i need
    > create a new area for an additional hard drive as windows xp seems to take
    > long time to start up and i used to have windows millenium edition which
    > seemed much faster than this is. i hope someone can help me with this
    > problemhelp

    "wes" <wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i just upgraded my computer to windows xp professional had it done at a
    > computer shop unfortunately i just realized that before i had two hard
    > drives
    > and now i only have one. how do i find my other hard drive or do i need
    > create a new area for an additional hard drive as windows xp seems to take
    > long time to start up and i used to have windows millenium edition which
    > seemed much faster than this is. i hope someone can help me with this
    > problemhelp

    1. Does your BIOS see the second hard disk?

    2. Assuming it does then the following should reveal it:

    Start > Control Panel (classic view)
    Administrative Tools
    Computer Management
    Select "Disk Management" (under Storage)

    if you have a second disk then that is where you should see it. If its
    unformatted then that's also where you would format it and assign it a drive
    letter.

    Hope this helps,

    Brian.

    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    ok first of all i had a c and d drive before now it only shows a c drive the
    capacity is 1.2 ghz and i just upgraded the ram and now have 384 mb of ram
    originally it was only 128 mb and was told needed to upgrade it. secondly my
    computer ran much faster before i upgraded to xp. any assistance that you
    can give would be greatly appreciated and thank you for answering my first
    question it was helpful. if you need anymore information please let me know

    thanks

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Wes
    >
    > Did you have two physical hard drives before, or just one partitioned into
    > two parts?..
    >
    > Re. performance, XP requires more RAM than ME, 512mb is a reasonable
    > minimum, and more space on the hard drive as it is a much larger OS.. old
    > slow drives will affect speed as does a video card with only small amounts
    > of memory.. obviously, a system is only as fast as its slowest component..
    >
    > You might want to post specs for your machine here..
    >
    > Something you can do easily to improve performance is to run in classic
    > mode.. go to Performance settings in Control Panel, and set visual effects
    > to 'best performance'.. keep the 'drop shadows' option, i.e. check it..
    >
    > Two items that no longer affect performance as they did in the Win9x/ME
    > computers are start-up programs, and a mass of icons on the desktop.. memory
    > is handled way better in XP.. obviously, if there are way too many
    > start-ups, they will start to cut into performance.. as a marker, I have 12
    > in my notification area (ME's system tray), and find that they do not affect
    > performance anywhere near to the point where I feel that they have to go..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "wes" <wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i just upgraded my computer to windows xp professional had it done at a
    > > computer shop unfortunately i just realized that before i had two hard
    > > drives
    > > and now i only have one. how do i find my other hard drive or do i need
    > > create a new area for an additional hard drive as windows xp seems to take
    > > long time to start up and i used to have windows millenium edition which
    > > seemed much faster than this is. i hope someone can help me with this
    > > problemhelp

    Wes

    If your computer showed two drives before the XP install, and now only shows
    one drive, that is because the person who installed XP removed whatever
    partitions were present and made it just one contiguous drive.. so you have
    lost nothing other than a drive letter..

    XP is a much larger and more capable operating system then its Win 9x
    cousins, and requires more resources to run.. the problem is not with XP..
    it is dogged by a system unable to handle it.. memory should 512mb minimum
    for easy running of XP..

    I am aware of the belief that XP will run in 64mb, but the people who
    recommended having that spec on the XP box are still waiting for XP to
    finish loading such that the full trial can be properly judged..

    I would suggest that you run XP in classic mode.. you lose the silly colours
    and fade effects but who cares.. you might also want to look at the overall
    size of your hard drive.. a good minimum would be 20gb..

    You should also have a regular housekeeping schedule.. Disk Cleanup,
    Defragmenter, anti-spyware progs etc should be run every now and again..

    --

    > ok first of all i had a c and d drive before now it only shows a c drive
    > the
    > capacity is 1.2 ghz and i just upgraded the ram and now have 384 mb of ram
    > originally it was only 128 mb and was told needed to upgrade it. secondly
    > my
    > computer ran much faster before i upgraded to xp. any assistance that you
    > can give would be greatly appreciated and thank you for answering my first
    > question it was helpful. if you need anymore information please let me
    > know
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> Did you have two physical hard drives before, or just one partitioned
    >> into
    >> two parts?..
    >>
    >> Re. performance, XP requires more RAM than ME, 512mb is a reasonable
    >> minimum, and more space on the hard drive as it is a much larger OS.. old
    >> slow drives will affect speed as does a video card with only small
    >> amounts
    >> of memory.. obviously, a system is only as fast as its slowest
    >> component..
    >>
    >> You might want to post specs for your machine here..
    >>
    >> Something you can do easily to improve performance is to run in classic
    >> mode.. go to Performance settings in Control Panel, and set visual
    >> effects
    >> to 'best performance'.. keep the 'drop shadows' option, i.e. check it..
    >>
    >> Two items that no longer affect performance as they did in the Win9x/ME
    >> computers are start-up programs, and a mass of icons on the desktop..
    >> memory
    >> is handled way better in XP.. obviously, if there are way too many
    >> start-ups, they will start to cut into performance.. as a marker, I have
    >> 12
    >> in my notification area (ME's system tray), and find that they do not
    >> affect
    >> performance anywhere near to the point where I feel that they have to
    >> go..
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >>

    >> "wes" <wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >i just upgraded my computer to windows xp professional had it done at a
    >> > computer shop unfortunately i just realized that before i had two hard
    >> > drives
    >> > and now i only have one. how do i find my other hard drive or do i
    >> > need
    >> > create a new area for an additional hard drive as windows xp seems to
    >> > take
    >> > long time to start up and i used to have windows millenium edition
    >> > which
    >> > seemed much faster than this is. i hope someone can help me with this
    >> > problemhelp

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP