Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8400 and wanting to add Raid1

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 22, 2005 12:19:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?

Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some kind
of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one can
buy a replacement if a drive fails.

Thanks
Bryan

More about : 8400 wanting add raid1

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:00:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o a9ue.959$Lj2.689@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
>another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
>it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
>software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>
> Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
> work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some
> kind of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one
> can buy a replacement if a drive fails.
>
> Thanks
> Bryan
>


Match the drive capacity and speed of your original drive identically, then
go into BIOS under drive settings to enable RAID>....

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:19:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

for messages about predictive drive failure, make sure that the SMART
features on your drives are enabled.


"Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:o a9ue.959$Lj2.689@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
>I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
>another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
>it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
>software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>
> Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
> work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some
> kind of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one
> can buy a replacement if a drive fails.
>
> Thanks
> Bryan
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:43:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Windows can do RAID 1, but you're better off doing it with the onboard
RAID controller. The mirror is created and monitored at the hardware
level. If one drive fails, you'll be alerted, and can then replace it.

It helps to have two identical model drives - though if you received a
Maxtor in the system, don't buy another - buy a WD, Seagate, Hitachi or
Samsung.

Maxtor drives of late have been terribly unreliable.





Bryan wrote:
> I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
> another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
> it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
> software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>
> Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
> work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some kind
> of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one can
> buy a replacement if a drive fails.
>
> Thanks
> Bryan
>
>
June 23, 2005 9:37:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for all the help, this seems cool.

Anyone know if the 8100 has a similar bios setting? Not interested in
spending money on this machine, will probably replace soon with an 8400 or a
9100.

Does Raid 1 slow system performance since the processor is writing the same
info twice? Should I look at getting a dual core for the replacement PC?

Thanks again.
Bryan


"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:bBnue.3902$lv.3119@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> Windows can do RAID 1, but you're better off doing it with the onboard
> RAID controller. The mirror is created and monitored at the hardware
> level. If one drive fails, you'll be alerted, and can then replace it.
>
> It helps to have two identical model drives - though if you received a
> Maxtor in the system, don't buy another - buy a WD, Seagate, Hitachi or
> Samsung.
>
> Maxtor drives of late have been terribly unreliable.
>
>
>
>
>
> Bryan wrote:
>> I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
>> another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't
>> order it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own?
>> Other software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>>
>> Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
>> work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some
>> kind of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so
>> one can buy a replacement if a drive fails.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bryan
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:59:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No, it does not. Raid was introduced on the 8400.

Tom
"Bryan" <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:cUrue.1275$Lj2.404@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Thanks for all the help, this seems cool.
>
> Anyone know if the 8100 has a similar bios setting? Not interested in
> spending money on this machine, will probably replace soon with an 8400 or
> a 9100.
>
> Does Raid 1 slow system performance since the processor is writing the
> same info twice? Should I look at getting a dual core for the replacement
> PC?
>
> Thanks again.
> Bryan
>
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:bBnue.3902$lv.3119@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>> Windows can do RAID 1, but you're better off doing it with the onboard
>> RAID controller. The mirror is created and monitored at the hardware
>> level. If one drive fails, you'll be alerted, and can then replace it.
>>
>> It helps to have two identical model drives - though if you received a
>> Maxtor in the system, don't buy another - buy a WD, Seagate, Hitachi or
>> Samsung.
>>
>> Maxtor drives of late have been terribly unreliable.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Bryan wrote:
>>> I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I
>>> buy another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't
>>> order it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's
>>> own? Other software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>>>
>>> Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
>>> work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some
>>> kind of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so
>>> one can buy a replacement if a drive fails.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bryan
>
>
June 24, 2005 1:06:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:19:32 GMT, "Bryan"
<bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
>another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
>it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
>software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>
>Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
>work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some kind
>of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one can
>buy a replacement if a drive fails.

RAID is a great idea for an immediate rescue of data and the ability
to keep the computer functioning, but it can be frustrating at times.
I just repaired a Dimension 8400 system today that was having RAID 0
troubles. Two weeks ago the first drive became corrupted, and a call
was given to swap it out and rebuild the array...easy enough, or so I
thought. The computer was still OK and booted and everything, it was
just that the redundant drive needed to be swapped out.

Dell sent me an exact copy of the standard 160gb SATA drive. I
swapped out the bad one, put the new one in, and started it up.
According to the Intel RAID controller, this drive was "too small" for
a rebuild. The customer was furious that I couldn't get it working,
no matter what I tried...I even tried formatting it, and that only
made it a second MS-formatted drive (F:) .

Dell finally sent me a 250gb drive, and this worked perfectly. So for
some reason an exact-size drive (even with a smaller partition on the
old one) won't work for a rebuild in a Dimension 8400 with RAID0.
This might also be the case with a RAID 1 setup, but I don't know. I
think its an error in the Intel RAID BIOS.

So to conclude, I would recommend buying a large-than-160gb SATA and
try out RAID that way.

Dan
June 24, 2005 1:08:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:00:15 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:


>Match the drive capacity and speed of your original drive identically, then
>go into BIOS under drive settings to enable RAID>....

You do not need an exact identical drive. A larger one will work, but
remember that, like a chain being as strong as the weakest line, a
RAID is only as large as the smallest drive.

Dan
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:12:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Dan" <jasdfosd@asjedfoi.com> wrote in message
news:vgmmb11jdhna7ic3j5e9ek1el3qkph2uho@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:19:32 GMT, "Bryan"
> <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
>>another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
>>it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
>>software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?
>>
>>Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
>>work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some
>>kind
>>of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one can
>>buy a replacement if a drive fails.
>
> RAID is a great idea for an immediate rescue of data and the ability
> to keep the computer functioning, but it can be frustrating at times.
> I just repaired a Dimension 8400 system today that was having RAID 0
> troubles. Two weeks ago the first drive became corrupted, and a call
> was given to swap it out and rebuild the array...easy enough, or so I
> thought. The computer was still OK and booted and everything, it was
> just that the redundant drive needed to be swapped out.
>
> Dell sent me an exact copy of the standard 160gb SATA drive. I
> swapped out the bad one, put the new one in, and started it up.
> According to the Intel RAID controller, this drive was "too small" for
> a rebuild. The customer was furious that I couldn't get it working,
> no matter what I tried...I even tried formatting it, and that only
> made it a second MS-formatted drive (F:) .
>
> Dell finally sent me a 250gb drive, and this worked perfectly. So for
> some reason an exact-size drive (even with a smaller partition on the
> old one) won't work for a rebuild in a Dimension 8400 with RAID0.
> This might also be the case with a RAID 1 setup, but I don't know. I
> think its an error in the Intel RAID BIOS.
>
> So to conclude, I would recommend buying a large-than-160gb SATA and
> try out RAID that way.
>
> Dan
>

Dan,

I'm confused. Don't you mean Raid 1? Isn't Raid 0 a striped drive?

Tom
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 8:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 05:37:12 GMT, "Bryan"
<bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:


>Anyone know if the 8100 has a similar bios setting?

If you mean the Dimension 8100 it does not. You'd need a PCI SATA
card.

>Not interested in
>spending money on this machine, will probably replace soon with an 8400 or a
>9100.

I'll take it off your hands if it's working.

>Does Raid 1 slow system performance since the processor is writing the same
>info twice? Should I look at getting a dual core for the replacement PC?

Yes, but a faster chip won't speed up disk access any. Mind if I ask
why you want RAID(1)? For speed, RAID(0) is the way to go.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:03:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote in message
news:m321c114lpfek23ni1199fnc8n1qgm3pb7@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 05:37:12 GMT, "Bryan"
> <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Anyone know if the 8100 has a similar bios setting?
>
> If you mean the Dimension 8100 it does not. You'd need a PCI SATA
> card.
>
>>Not interested in
>>spending money on this machine, will probably replace soon with an 8400 or
>>a
>>9100.
>
> I'll take it off your hands if it's working.
>
>>Does Raid 1 slow system performance since the processor is writing the
>>same
>>info twice? Should I look at getting a dual core for the replacement PC?
>
> Yes, but a faster chip won't speed up disk access any. Mind if I ask
> why you want RAID(1)? For speed, RAID(0) is the way to go.
> --
> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/


Paul,

In his OP it appears he wants a mirrored backup:

<paste>

I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities? I didn't order
it from dell with it that way, can windows handle that on it's own? Other
software that can? Or does it have to be hardware based?

Not knowing much about RAID, I know 1 is instant mirroring. How does it
work? If drive 1 fries, how does drive 2 just take over? Is there some kind
of message, warning, etc given as to which drive is being used so one can
buy a replacement if a drive fails.

Thanks
Bryan

<end>


Stew
June 28, 2005 11:21:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yes, thinking of using it as an additional computer for a home bus. and that
was not original plan when ordered. After seeing the (yes it is a Dimension)
8100's HD fail , even with a semi current backup (about a week old) there
was lots of info that would be easier, helpful to have that could have been
lost, so that's the reason for Raid 1. Raid 0 seems a little scary to me
since when writing to the HD, it [data] can be on either drive, or I suppose
both, if by some small chance a HD fails, you could lose 1/2 of everything,
and I really don't need speed, the 8400 replaced a p3 450, so I'm used to a
wait when I did anything!

So for performance if I order another Dell to replace the 8100, a Dual core
is probably not going to help any more than having just a HT processor, esp.
in a business situation? We'll have several apps open at once including
several browsers, UPS, FedEx, QuickBooks, e-mail, access etc nothing real
processor hungry I suppose, and nothing designed for the dual core
technology yet. I'm guessing I'd be better off investing dual core money
into more Ram. Just curious what the dual core HT processor would do? :) 
Probably like having a Lamborghini in Hawaii, lots of potential speed, and
no where to go.

Bryan

"Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com> wrote in message
news:m321c114lpfek23ni1199fnc8n1qgm3pb7@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 05:37:12 GMT, "Bryan"
> <bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Anyone know if the 8100 has a similar bios setting?
>
> If you mean the Dimension 8100 it does not. You'd need a PCI SATA
> card.
>
>>Not interested in
>>spending money on this machine, will probably replace soon with an 8400 or
>>a
>>9100.
>
> I'll take it off your hands if it's working.
>
>>Does Raid 1 slow system performance since the processor is writing the
>>same
>>info twice? Should I look at getting a dual core for the replacement PC?
>
> Yes, but a faster chip won't speed up disk access any. Mind if I ask
> why you want RAID(1)? For speed, RAID(0) is the way to go.
> --
> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:08:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:03:12 -0500, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Paul,
>
>In his OP it appears he wants a mirrored backup:
>
><paste>
>
>I have a 8400, media center (so most of xp pro), and was curious if I buy
>another 160GB SATA drive if I can have RAID 1 capabilities?

Yeah, I got that. Just curious as to why.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:16:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:21:49 GMT, "Bryan"
<bryanw20@remove.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Yes, thinking of using it as an additional computer for a home bus. and that
>was not original plan when ordered. After seeing the (yes it is a Dimension)
>8100's HD fail , even with a semi current backup (about a week old) there
>was lots of info that would be easier, helpful to have that could have been
>lost, so that's the reason for Raid 1. Raid 0 seems a little scary to me
>since when writing to the HD, it [data] can be on either drive, or I suppose
>both, if by some small chance a HD fails, you could lose 1/2 of everything,
>and I really don't need speed, the 8400 replaced a p3 450, so I'm used to a
>wait when I did anything!

OK, OK. For business you certainly want your data secure. RAID(1)
would help with that,since if one drive fails the other will have your
data. But you'd want to make external backups, too.

>So for performance if I order another Dell to replace the 8100, a Dual core
>is probably not going to help any more than having just a HT processor, esp.
>in a business situation? We'll have several apps open at once including
>several browsers, UPS, FedEx, QuickBooks, e-mail, access etc nothing real
>processor hungry I suppose, and nothing designed for the dual core
>technology yet. I'm guessing I'd be better off investing dual core money
>into more Ram. Just curious what the dual core HT processor would do? :) 
>Probably like having a Lamborghini in Hawaii, lots of potential speed, and
>no where to go.

Heheh. Can you send me there to test that out? :)  Yes, it seems to
me if you max out the memory the 8100 ought to be able to handle what
you describe above.

>Bryan

Good luck!
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
!