Free Wireless Internet? I don't get it.

I was at a school today that had wireless access so I fired up my
laptop and used its wireless port for the first time. It was great.

So I get home tonight and turn on the computer -- my laptop was still
set for wireless because I had never turned it off.

Lo and behold, the Internet works on my home PC even though my phone
cord is not plugged in. I checked out the specs -- it's a different
wireless service than the one at the school. I made sure my connection
was firewalled and as safe as I possibly could.

I'm not sure what this is about. I guess there must be someone nearby
with a wireless connection and my computer tapped into it. I went back
to the phone cord.

Anyone ever have this happen? Is this theft of service, if I use it,
or are the airwaves free?

In article <1b0df3ea.0405301920.5595349d@posting.google.com>,
you@askjfk.com (Emma Winner) wrote:

> I was at a school today that had wireless access so I fired up my
> laptop and used its wireless port for the first time. It was great.
>
> So I get home tonight and turn on the computer -- my laptop was still
> set for wireless because I had never turned it off.

You have a neighbor with a non-secure network. I have one right next
door to me. I use it sometimes just to see if it's still there. Some
people are incredibly stupid.

Mike

"Emma Winner" <you@askjfk.com> wrote in message
> I was at a school today that had wireless access so I
fired up my
> laptop and used its wireless port for the first time. It
was great.

> So I get home tonight and turn on the computer -- my
laptop was still
> set for wireless because I had never turned it off.
>
> Lo and behold, the Internet works on my home PC even
though my phone
> cord is not plugged in. I checked out the specs -- it's a
different
> wireless service than the one at the school. I made sure
my connection
> was firewalled and as safe as I possibly could.
>
> I'm not sure what this is about. I guess there must be
someone nearby
> with a wireless connection and my computer tapped into it.
I went back
> to the phone cord.
>
> Anyone ever have this happen? Is this theft of service, if
I use it,
> or are the airwaves free?

this has been asked & answered a few times. As I understand
it, if you use the other persons connection without his
knowledge, that is technicaly theft. I believe also, in the
US, he can also be held liable if you use his connection,
albeit unknowingly, for nefarious purposes. As for the
airwaves being free?..nothing in this life is ever free ;-)

P.

"PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Emma Winner" <you@askjfk.com> wrote in message
> > I was at a school today that had wireless access so I
> fired up my
> > laptop and used its wireless port for the first time. It
> was great.
> >
> > So I get home tonight and turn on the computer -- my
> laptop was still
> > set for wireless because I had never turned it off.
> >
> > Lo and behold, the Internet works on my home PC even
> though my phone
> > cord is not plugged in. I checked out the specs -- it's a
> different
> > wireless service than the one at the school. I made sure
> my connection
> > was firewalled and as safe as I possibly could.
> >
> > I'm not sure what this is about. I guess there must be
> someone nearby
> > with a wireless connection and my computer tapped into it.
> I went back
> > to the phone cord.
> >
> > Anyone ever have this happen? Is this theft of service, if
> I use it,
> > or are the airwaves free?
>
> this has been asked & answered a few times. As I understand
> it, if you use the other persons connection without his
> knowledge, that is technicaly theft. I believe also, in the
> US, he can also be held liable if you use his connection,
> albeit unknowingly, for nefarious purposes. As for the
> airwaves being free?..nothing in this life is ever free ;-)
>
> P.
You are no doubt right that this is theft. It would make more sense if it
was only theft i I stand on my neighbours property when I use his internet.
It is my neighbours responsibility to prevent acces on my property. After
all, if his dog strays on my property then have I stolen his dog?.
Should I sue my neighbour for sending unwanted radiowaves into my house?

antonio

E.D. <erik.d@Fieldingroth.com> wrote:

> After
> all, if his dog strays on my property then have I stolen his dog?.

No, but you have no right to shoot it! (Except when you are from Texas).

--
Groeten,

Antonio (Voor email, verwijder X)

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:52:43 +0200, "E.D." <erik.d@Fieldingroth.com>
wrote:

>"PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> this has been asked & answered a few times. As I understand
>> it, if you use the other persons connection without his
>> knowledge, that is technicaly theft. I believe also, in the
>> US, he can also be held liable if you use his connection,
>> albeit unknowingly, for nefarious purposes. As for the
>> airwaves being free?..nothing in this life is ever free ;-)
>>
>> P.
>You are no doubt right that this is theft. It would make more sense if it
>was only theft i I stand on my neighbours property when I use his internet.
>It is my neighbours responsibility to prevent acces on my property. After
>all, if his dog strays on my property then have I stolen his dog?.
>Should I sue my neighbour for sending unwanted radiowaves into my house?

You are free to *receive* (ie. passively monitor) your neighbors radio
waves (in the US anyway). The courts have consistently ruled that
anyone broadcasting an unscrambled transmission cannot presume that
the transmission will be kept private.

However, using your neighbor's access point involves an active
exchange with it. The law is very clear that such access requires
permission from your neighbor.

George
--
Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET

"George Neuner"
| >> this has been asked & answered a few times. As I understand
| >> it, if you use the other persons connection without his
| >> knowledge, that is technically theft. I believe also, in the
| >> US, he can also be held liable if you use his connection,
| >> albeit unknowingly, for nefarious purposes. As for the
| >> airwaves being free?..nothing in this life is ever free ;-)
| >>
| >> P.
| >You are no doubt right that this is theft. It would make more sense if it
| >was only theft i I stand on my neighbours property when I use his
internet.
| >It is my neighbours responsibility to prevent acces on my property. After
| >all, if his dog strays on my property then have I stolen his dog?.
| >Should I sue my neighbour for sending unwanted radiowaves into my house?
| >>

| You are free to *receive* (ie. passively monitor) your neighbors radio
| waves (in the US anyway). The courts have consistently ruled that
| anyone broadcasting an unscrambled transmission cannot presume that
| the transmission will be kept private.

Not necessarily true. Wireless intercept laws and case law are complicated.

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:43:21 -0400, "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"George Neuner"

>| You are free to *receive* (ie. passively monitor) your neighbors radio
>| waves (in the US anyway). The courts have consistently ruled that
>| anyone broadcasting an unscrambled transmission cannot presume that
>| the transmission will be kept private.
>
>Not necessarily true. Wireless intercept laws and case law are complicated.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

I am not an attorney, but several members of my family are attorneys
in intellectual propery, real estate and general practice.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

AFAIK, The law is pretty clear that receiving radio signals is not a
crime. It is a crime to transmit in certain frequency ranges without
a license, but those same frequencies can be received without one. A
crime is only committed when a listener takes steps to decode a
deliberately scrambled signal without permission or when information
gleaned from listening is used in the further commission of a crime.

Civil actions, OTOH, are all over the map. It's difficult to predict
outcomes because anyone can sue for any perceived wrong and the facts
are inconsistent from case to case. However, the largest civil case
I am aware of involved competing traffic information companies - one
of which was monitoring the other's, supposedly private, helicoptor
reports and reporting the information as their own. The judge in that
case ruled ( rightly I think ) that because the transmissions were
made in the clear, there could no expectation of privacy.

George
--
Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET

Taking a moment's reflection, Not Me mused:

| Not necessarily true. Wireless intercept laws and case law are
| complicated.

While they may be complicated, that doesn't mean they are not clear.
Establishing two-way traffic on someone else's network constitutes
connecting and using that network. In the case of consumer network, the
owner and the connector are probably both in violation. The owner with the
ISP's TOS and the connector with the legality of an unauthorized connection.
Though, in the States, just because you do something that is technically
illegal, it doesn't mean you will necessarily be charged with a crime, or
convicted if charged.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

We do have this conversation periodically. I am certainly not a lawyer, and
the one person in my family who is a lawyer doesn't specialize in this.

Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that anyone can claim to know for
certain that the law is perfectly clear in the U.S. about intercepted
transmissions. In the first place, much of the applicable law is privacy
law, and the bulk of this law is state, not federal, law. Federal law does
*not* prevent state law from being more restrictive.

California and New York have strict laws forbidding the monitoring of
unencrypted cordless phone signals transmitted in the unlicensed radio
bands, in spite of "reasonable expectation of privacy". New Mexico has a law
forbidding monitoring of communications including "wireless" - it places no
restrictions on whether the wireless communication is encrypted or not, or
in an unlicensed band. Fourteen states have specific laws forbidding
monitoring of cell phones, even though these transmissions are also
unencrypted. Actually, federal law also forbids cell phone monitoring, and
the production and sale of devices that allow it.

I think that very few of these laws have been tested against wifi. Even if
you assume they do not apply, there may be other privacy laws that do - for
example, if you record the intercepted information, or if you post it to the
internet or otherwise spread it around.

"George Neuner" <gneuner2@dont.spam.me> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:43:21 -0400, "Not Me" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

> >"George Neuner"
>
> >| You are free to *receive* (ie. passively monitor) your neighbors radio
> >| waves (in the US anyway). The courts have consistently ruled that
> >| anyone broadcasting an unscrambled transmission cannot presume that
> >| the transmission will be kept private.
> >
> >Not necessarily true. Wireless intercept laws and case law are
complicated.

> *** DISCLAIMER ***
>
> I am not an attorney, but several members of my family are attorneys
> in intellectual propery, real estate and general practice.
>
> *** DISCLAIMER ***
>
> AFAIK, The law is pretty clear that receiving radio signals is not a
> crime. It is a crime to transmit in certain frequency ranges without
> a license, but those same frequencies can be received without one. A
> crime is only committed when a listener takes steps to decode a
> deliberately scrambled signal without permission or when information
> gleaned from listening is used in the further commission of a crime.
>
> Civil actions, OTOH, are all over the map. It's difficult to predict
> outcomes because anyone can sue for any perceived wrong and the facts
> are inconsistent from case to case. However, the largest civil case
> I am aware of involved competing traffic information companies - one
> of which was monitoring the other's, supposedly private, helicoptor
> reports and reporting the information as their own. The judge in that
> case ruled ( rightly I think ) that because the transmissions were
> made in the clear, there could no expectation of privacy.
>
> George
> --
> Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET

Please don't top post.
A: Top posting.
Q: What's the most annoying behavior on Usenet.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:37:36 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> I find it hard to believe that anyone can claim to know for
>certain that the law is perfectly clear in the U.S. about intercepted
>transmissions. In the first place, much of the applicable law is privacy
>law, and the bulk of this law is state, not federal, law. Federal law does
>*not* prevent state law from being more restrictive.

That's the beauty of case law - no one can ever know for certain.

States can further restrict Federal law when Federal law does not
explicitly disallow it - there have been a number of laws written
expressly to forbid state modification ... e.g., statutes giving
Federal priority to criminal prosecution for a lesser charge and many
laws dealing with interstate commerce.

>California and New York have strict laws forbidding the monitoring of
>unencrypted cordless phone signals transmitted in the unlicensed radio
>bands, in spite of "reasonable expectation of privacy". New Mexico has a law
>forbidding monitoring of communications including "wireless" - it places no
>restrictions on whether the wireless communication is encrypted or not, or
>in an unlicensed band. Fourteen states have specific laws forbidding
>monitoring of cell phones, even though these transmissions are also
>unencrypted. Actually, federal law also forbids cell phone monitoring, and
>the production and sale of devices that allow it.

You are correct, but these laws are extensions of previously existing
wiretapping statutes to cover new technology. They pertain only to
telephone use and do not apply to, eg., CB or shortwave, police, fire,
EMT, civil defense or aircraft radio transmissions.

In 1991, a tropical storm destroyed the transmission towers of WBZ
1030AM, a 50KW station in the Boston MA. When the towers were rebuilt
in the spring of 1992, their alignment was different than it had been
previously. For almost 2 months, residents living near the towers in
parts of Hingham, Hull and Scituate received WBZ through a myriad of
electrical appliances - including wierd things like toasters, ceiling
fans and refrigerators. It came through telephones, intercoms, radios
and televisions (even when turned off) and was superimposed on other
broadcasts making them difficult to understand. It so overwhelmed the
police sideband radios that emergency communication was nearly
impossible in some parts of Scituate and Hull.

The WBZ incident was certainly a fluke, but I lived that nightmare.
There is no pratical way to prevent radio reception regardless of
stupid laws to the contrary. If my braces happen to tune in
somebody's portable phone - what the hell am I supposed to do about
it? The laws are only meant to discourage unethical practices.

>I think that very few of these laws have been tested against wifi. Even if
>you assume they do not apply, there may be other privacy laws that do - for
>example, if you record the intercepted information, or if you post it to the
>internet or otherwise spread it around.

I said previously that *using* the information in any way could very
well be a crime.

George
--
Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm the original poster who got this
going. Obviously its a grey area.

I do live in New York. I just had the wifi button automatically set
for on and happened to be picking up service. No password required.
And I have no desire to try to intercept someone's personal data. I
really don't have a desire to use someone else's wifi service, but if
I were, say, 17, I could see doing it without consideration for the
law.

Though it does seem like if my house is facing the burden of someone
else's radio waves, I should get some payback. Say these waves are
biologically dangerous? Or hurt other reception in the house (cell
phones, a.m. radio, etc.)? I doubt these things to be true, but you
never know?

I have a relative who has TV cable wires going over his property and
the cable company gave him free lifetime premium cable.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:21:19 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , George
Neuner <gneuner2@dont.spam.me> wrote:

>AFAIK, The law is pretty clear that receiving radio signals is not a
>crime.

correct

>A crime is only committed when a listener takes steps to decode a
>deliberately scrambled signal without permission or when information
>gleaned from listening is used in the further commission of a crime.

The meat of this is in the definition of "decoding".

802.11 is not an analogue signal you can simply listen to with a cats
whisker and crystal. A court might rule that "going equipped" to translate
the raw radio waves into meaningful data was in and of itself enough
evidence that your intentions were dishonorable.

--
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:09:19 +0100, Mark McIntyre
<markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:21:19 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , George
>Neuner <gneuner2@dont.spam.me> wrote:
>
>>AFAIK, The law is pretty clear that receiving radio signals is not a
>>crime.
>
>correct
>
>>A crime is only committed when a listener takes steps to decode a
>>deliberately scrambled signal without permission or when information
>>gleaned from listening is used in the further commission of a crime.
>
>The meat of this is in the definition of "decoding".
>
>802.11 is not an analogue signal you can simply listen to with a cats
>whisker and crystal. A court might rule that "going equipped" to translate
>the raw radio waves into meaningful data was in and of itself enough
>evidence that your intentions were dishonorable.

That's true, but not necessarily relevent. Emergency scanners operate
on side bands and spread spectrum and are perfectly legal. The issue
AFAICT is whether the transmission was deliberately scrambled with the
expectation that it would then be private.

George
--

> Please don't top post.
> A: Top posting.
> Q: What's the most annoying behavior on Usenet.

I was not responding point-by-point, but making general comments. I realize
style preferences vary from person to person, but you can't please everyone,
can you? There is no "proper" style for posting, any more than there is a
single monolithic law that deals with wireless interception.

> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:37:36 GMT, "gary" <pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I find it hard to believe that anyone can claim to know for
> >certain that the law is perfectly clear in the U.S. about intercepted
> >transmissions. In the first place, much of the applicable law is privacy
> >law, and the bulk of this law is state, not federal, law. Federal law
does
> >*not* prevent state law from being more restrictive.
>
> That's the beauty of case law - no one can ever know for certain.
>
> States can further restrict Federal law when Federal law does not
> explicitly disallow it - there have been a number of laws written
> expressly to forbid state modification ... e.g., statutes giving
> Federal priority to criminal prosecution for a lesser charge and many
> laws dealing with interstate commerce.

I assume the relevant Federal law is 18 USC 2511. This contains several
clauses beginning with the phrases:

"It shall not be unlawful under this chapter"
"Notwithstanding any other provision of this title or section 705 or 706 of
the Communications Act of 1934"
"It shall not be unlawful under this chapter or chapter 121 of this title
for any person"

Nowhere can I find any wording indicating that states are not free to make
independent and more restrictive law.

> >California and New York have strict laws forbidding the monitoring of
> >unencrypted cordless phone signals transmitted in the unlicensed radio
> >bands, in spite of "reasonable expectation of privacy". New Mexico has a
law
> >forbidding monitoring of communications including "wireless" - it places
no
> >restrictions on whether the wireless communication is encrypted or not,
or
> >in an unlicensed band. Fourteen states have specific laws forbidding
> >monitoring of cell phones, even though these transmissions are also
> >unencrypted. Actually, federal law also forbids cell phone monitoring,
and
> >the production and sale of devices that allow it.
>
> You are correct, but these laws are extensions of previously existing
> wiretapping statutes to cover new technology. They pertain only to
> telephone use and do not apply to, eg., CB or shortwave, police, fire,
> EMT, civil defense or aircraft radio transmissions.

I am not claiming that these laws will apply to wifi. I am claiming that it
is not clear that they do not. I cite the specific state laws regarding
cordless phones to indicate that some states believe that some kinds of
unencrypted transmissions in an unlicensed band are entitled to protection
beyond what Federal law offers. These laws are all worded so that they do
not apply to accidental interception - intent (which, to some extent, has to
be measured by behavior) makes a difference.

Even if these state laws do not apply, wifi could be added to the list -
just as cordless phones were - if state legislatures come to believe that
there is a privacy issue that needs to be dealt with.

I'm not interested in trying to prove that some specific state law does or
does not prohibit wifi eavesdropping. I'm trying to counter the impression
that Federal law about radio interception is the only law that matters, or
even that radio interception is the only legal issue. This is simply not
true. I'm also trying to make the point that eavesdropping just because you
can is at least unethical, and probably a legally grey area.

> In 1991, a tropical storm destroyed the transmission towers of WBZ
> 1030AM, a 50KW station in the Boston MA. When the towers were rebuilt
> in the spring of 1992, their alignment was different than it had been
> previously. For almost 2 months, residents living near the towers in
> parts of Hingham, Hull and Scituate received WBZ through a myriad of
> electrical appliances - including wierd things like toasters, ceiling
> fans and refrigerators. It came through telephones, intercoms, radios
> and televisions (even when turned off) and was superimposed on other
> broadcasts making them difficult to understand. It so overwhelmed the
> police sideband radios that emergency communication was nearly
> impossible in some parts of Scituate and Hull.
>
> The WBZ incident was certainly a fluke, but I lived that nightmare.
> There is no pratical way to prevent radio reception regardless of
> stupid laws to the contrary. If my braces happen to tune in
> somebody's portable phone - what the hell am I supposed to do about
> it? The laws are only meant to discourage unethical practices.

Isn't this example a bit extreme? Surely you acknowledge that there is a
difference between a neighbor who is clueless enough to run a wide-open wifi
network and a radio station which is clearly violating all sorts of laws to
generate a signal so powerful that you can't avoid receiving it, even
without a device designed to be a radio receiver!

I hesitate to get into more examples, because examples quickly become
tortured hypotheticals. I'll just say that privacy law is an extremely
tricky thing. Not all of the relevant law has to do specifically with
intercepting radio signals.

> >I think that very few of these laws have been tested against wifi. Even
if
> >you assume they do not apply, there may be other privacy laws that do -
for
> >example, if you record the intercepted information, or if you post it to
the
> >internet or otherwise spread it around.
>
> I said previously that *using* the information in any way could very
> well be a crime.

In New York, merely recording a cordless phone conversation is illegal. It
doesn't have to be used "in furtherance of a crime", it is a crime. As I
suggested above, other privacy laws that have nothing to do with
intercepting radio signals may apply. Just to make it clear: I'm not saying
that accidentally picking up your neighbor's signal is illegal, or
unethical. But consciously deciding to monitor his network traffic is a
different thing. Intent matters.

> George
> --
> Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:27:24 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "gary"
<pleasenospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"George Neuner" <gneuner2@dont.spam.me> wrote in message
>> Please don't top post.
>> A: Top posting.
>> Q: What's the most annoying behavior on Usenet.
>
>I was not responding point-by-point, but making general comments.

The trick, if you are doing that, is to avoid annoying those of us who
dislike top=posting by removing all the material below your own remarks.
This is presumably ok since if you didn't need to refer to it by quoting it
in context, its irrelevant to your own post.

--
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:35:08 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , George
Neuner <gneuner2@dont.spam.me> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:09:19 +0100, Mark McIntyre
><markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>802.11 is not an analogue signal you can simply listen to with a cats
>>whisker and crystal. A court might rule that "going equipped" to translate
>>the raw radio waves into meaningful data was in and of itself enough
>>evidence that your intentions were dishonorable.
>
>That's true, but not necessarily relevent. Emergency scanners operate
>on side bands and spread spectrum and are perfectly legal.

I've no idea what you mean by emergency scanner, so I can't comment on
that.

>The issue
>AFAICT is whether the transmission was deliberately scrambled with the
>expectation that it would then be private.

My point was that 802.11 /is/ scrambled, for any definition you care to
use, from the point of view of "ordinary" nondigital radio.

--
Mark McIntyre

mark

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:39:49 -0400, George Neuner <gneuner2@dont.spam.me>
wrote:

>You are free to *receive* (ie. passively monitor) your neighbors radio
>waves (in the US anyway). The courts have consistently ruled that
>anyone broadcasting an unscrambled transmission cannot presume that
>the transmission will be kept private.

Incorrect. Cellphones are a perfect example. Analog phones and even home
cordless phones have "an expectation of privacy" and are illegal to monitor
(ie - receive) at all if you are not the intended recipient.

George Neuner wrote:

> You are free to *receive* (ie. passively monitor) your neighbors radio
> waves (in the US anyway). The courts have consistently ruled that
> anyone broadcasting an unscrambled transmission cannot presume that
> the transmission will be kept private.

Slightly OT, but you are not entirely free to receive. RADAR detectors,
which merely detect but do not decode or transmit, are illegal in two
states (CT and VA) and in DC; and, by federal law (so I've been told)
are illegal in commercial vehicles anywhere in the US. The conflict
between federal (free to receive) laws and the state (RADAR ban) laws
have been fought in court several times, and the state laws have always
been upheld; a pity IMHO.
--
Cheers, Bob

Taking a moment's reflection, Mark McIntyre mused:

| The trick, if you are doing that, is to avoid annoying those of us who
| dislike top=posting by removing all the material below your own remarks.
| This is presumably ok since if you didn't need to refer to it by quoting
| it in context, its irrelevant to your own post.

That's still not going to keep some plonker from coming along any
posting a "please include some of the message you are replying to in your
response" message. ;-)

Taking a moment's reflection, Bob Willard mused:

| Slightly OT, but you are not entirely free to receive. RADAR detectors,
| which merely detect but do not decode or transmit, are illegal in two
| states (CT and VA) and in DC; and, by federal law (so I've been told)
| are illegal in commercial vehicles anywhere in the US. The conflict
| between federal (free to receive) laws and the state (RADAR ban) laws
| have been fought in court several times, and the state laws have always
| been upheld; a pity IMHO.

The only reason is because they have not been taken to the Federal
level. I believe the reception of RF signals is Constitutional law, and the
States cannot write laws which infringe upon such laws. However, until
challenged on a Federal level, they are enforceable. It's been a while
since I paid much attention to the radar detector issue, but I seem to
recall that some detector manufacturer was offering to financially assist in
the defense if someone where willing to "go all the way" in one of these
states.

Taking a moment's reflection, Mark McIntyre mused:

| I've no idea what you mean by emergency scanner, so I can't comment on
| that.

Commonly known as Police Band Scanners ...

| My point was that 802.11 /is/ scrambled, for any definition you care to
| use, from the point of view of "ordinary" nondigital radio.

You've mixed your metaphors. Raw 802.11 is not scrambled by any
definition. If you have the tool to receive it, and you are in range, then
the signal is yours. Scrambling requires the tool to receive, and the means
to descramble. That's a bit like saying TV band waves are scrambled because
I cannot receive them on my radio.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I find interlinear posting annoying, unless it really is a series of
specific responses to individual points.I would much rather read a single
unified piece of text at the beginning or the end. The original text is not
irrelevant, I may want to refer to it, but I am not so lazy that I can't
scroll the text.

We could debate this objectively, but it would be a waste of keystrokes.
Your objection to top-posting is an arbitrary choice you have made. Others
have made a different choice. I prefer top-posting, but I tolerate
interlinear. If you are unable to do the same, then it's really your
problem.

Much ado about nothing.

"mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, Mark McIntyre mused:
> |
> | The trick, if you are doing that, is to avoid annoying those of us who
> | dislike top=posting by removing all the material below your own remarks.
> | This is presumably ok since if you didn't need to refer to it by quoting
> | it in context, its irrelevant to your own post.
>
> That's still not going to keep some plonker from coming along any
> posting a "please include some of the message you are replying to in your
> response" message. ;-)

Taking a moment's reflection, gary mused:

| Your objection to top-posting is an arbitrary choice you have made.

I have not raised an objection to top-posting. Someone else did that.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, I should've backed up one level in the thread. Sorry.