FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ATI paid us a extended visit today, handing out 8500 special editions to everyone within reach. I believe ATI will get contract from SGI to supply AGP cards for 2002 after todays mega suck up.

I made off with 2 cards, straight out of the box with default drivers these are <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2215247" target="_new">beating up the Geforce 3 at 3Dmark2001</A>. I will test on a variety of chipsets over the next week. I need to research more on overclocking these suckers. I wil be back from Texas on Tuesday, I should have more/better results posted by then.

I love the cat/fish demo, very very smooth. makes zoltar look silly.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
are you complaining because you got 2 free cards retailed at $299 a piece. talk about a lack of gratitude...

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
It's pretty much a given that the 8500 will spank the GF3 in the theoretical benchmarks in 3DMark. It's the real-world performance in popular games like "Max Payne" and the like where they fall behind.
All in all, it's still an amazing deal at $0.00, though! Good luck with the overclocking experiments, and try and give us some benchmarks in other apps/games with the latest drivers!

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
Shouldn't ATI be giving FireGL instead of Radaon8500 at SGI(logical for SGI being a openGL gaint)? Besides, SGI have their own multi Geometry Engine processors much better than FireGL4 or Radaon8500 combine with the fastest x86-32bit CPU. FireGL4 is just a affordable pro solution anyway. SGI did integrated XPERT 2000 PRO into their SGI 750, but that's a technical computing and 2D visualization workstation. Maybe there'll be a integrated 8500 for 2D soon.

Once I used my i386/34+i387 and 4 MB Ram for CAD...

thats really cool... sounds like ATI is trying to win the hearts of other companies to sell their products to gain more market share. *shrugs*

keep us posted on it! i plan on buying a new videocard in a couple months and so far i'm sold on the geforce 3 ti500 only because of better drivers and less artifacts. I'd have to buy a ATI USB TV wonder though so i can continue watching tv.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 12/14/01 11:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'll buy one from you, if you don't want both.

8451, is the card at stock, or overclocked?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On non graphical (aka visualization) workstations, we have used ATI and Nvidia in the passed.

Ive had a chance to play with the Radeon 8500 stock clocked at 275/275. I am able to get it up to 314/330 before artifacts appear. This card seems stable but the drivers are still poor. I ran some Nvidia demos on the ATI, most didnt run.

My Gainward GF3 still beats the Radeon 8500 on my home PC.

ATI still has alot of work ahead on the Radeon 8500.

Im waiting on confirmation from coolfreepages.com so I can post some screen shots. And not they are not Photoshop touchups! just whacked 8500 driver problems and sandra scores from various systems.

FatBurger

Illustrious
What did nVidia beat them at?

You talking about Quadro vs. FireGL, I'm assuming?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
That was the most intelligent statement I've ever seen on these boards...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, that's what I've been hearing. I wish there was a PCI version of the 8500DV, that might be interesting.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, there should be a new driver coming out next week, probably right after Christmas.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor