GForce 2 or Kyro II

G

Hi all,

I am doing a stop-gap upgrade of my system until I can afford a much better setup and am getting conflicting views on which Video card to use. The system will probably be an ABIT KT7A MoBo with a Tbird 1 Ghz Processor and about 512 of SDRam. I play some games - probably most demanding would be Diablo II - so I want something that will improve the play of this game but can't afford a GForce 3 - (This will have to wait until the 266 MoBo upgrade). Anyways, I heard that the Kyro II was pretty good but that the GForce 2 may be better depending on the type - pro, MX400, ???

For around the same price range, which would you choose.

Thanks
Mike

Opinions, rants and raves are always encouraged .... unless I disagree!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
But too low end for future games. I would suggest a minimum of a GeForce2 Ti for a new graphics card. Otherwise, the graphics card will be obsolete by next summer with new games.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's the list of GeForce2 cards, from worst to best:
MX200-garbage
MX-good
MX400-good (basically a renamed MX)
GTS-better
Pro-great
Ultra-best
GeForce2 Ti-Hmmm, a replacement for the Ultra.

The best deal on GeForce2's is the GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GEFORCE2 Ti450, for under $100 at various sites.

You may come across the GTS-V by Visiontek for around $65, this is a special lower-performance version with 7ns memory instead of the standard 6ns memory.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

geforce2 ti is below ultra in performance. it's about par with pro or slightly better.
shop around for kyro2, geforce2 pro or geforce2 ti and compare them by price... if the kyro2 is WAAAAAAAY cheaper you might wanna get that if you only play very rarely... otherwise go for a geforce2 pro or ti, from what i understand they're pretty much the best cards around unless you go for a gf3.