Help me find a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredwardo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hello

1. What is your budget? No limit, but would like to stay away from Alienware

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" display, gaming laptop

3. What screen resolution do you want? Does not matter.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need? Atleast 2-3 hours but I'm not picky on the battery life because I'm usually going to be near electricity.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? High settings and the recent games I've been playing are Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Counter Strike global offense, Mass effect series, Bioshock series, crysis series, and Dishonored.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) None.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500 GB++

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Minimum 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Writer would suffice, just the basic optical drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Im fine with any brand as long as the laptop meets my need which is gaming.

13. What country do you live in? Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm looking for a high end gpu with a decent cpu.

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Three options of various prices I found that will do that. Crysis 3 might need to be on medium, but most of those games will play on max settings.

http://tinyurl.com/axd9ze3

http://tinyurl.com/b7f2s8w

http://tinyurl.com/bmxhofa

Personally, I'd get the SAMSUNG if you want to save money, or the MSI if you want to push it as far as 1,500 will go. Either way, I don't think 3 hours of gaming is a realistic goal for the battery. 1 1/2 seems to be the best bet.

fredwardo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Thank you for your response. How long do you think those high end gpu's will last before being outdated and no longer capable performing at medium to high settings with upcoming newer games? I know you don't know and its just your opinion but i would appreciate it

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

You're very welcome!

And I guess that depends on how quickly graphics technologies advance. AMD and NVidia are constantly pumping out more powerful cards and developers are constantly taking advantage of newer technologies.

That said, with proper care and maintenance, I'm sure your laptop will make it past 3 years before it becomes an issue. While games may be becoming more graphically intensive, most developers are going the route of console games being ported to Windows, since it makes more financial sense. This has made it so less games are pushing the envelope on hardware and technologies.

It is also worth noting that as games begin to look better, they will look better on lower settings than older games do on high. They also may be better optimized than older games, allowing better visuals at similar performance points.

In short, technology will quickly overtake whatever you purchase, but not so much that you won't be good with what you have for a few years.

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Woops, site has been down for maintenance all morning, or I would have gotten to you sooner.

Basically, that laptop has a great graphics card. The problem is the processor, and it is a pretty big problem. A lot of games are becoming more taxing on the CPU these days; even shooters, such as Borderlands 2 or Crysis 3. The processor on that laptop will be a huge bottleneck on that graphics card. The manufacturers didn't think that one out well.

That said, it certainly isn't a horrible laptop. I just think the other choices would be a better way to go.

When I searched for you, I made sure only laptops of 16.9" + were displayed, as per your screen size request, so I saw nothing below that.

fredwardo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Sorry for not getting back to your reply, I've been working up north and had zero access to a PC. So I've done some more soul searching and I've realized that id prefer a 15" screen size. Also those ones that you suggested i found out at the last minute while trying to purchase one are on american sites that don't ship to Canada. So i couldn't purchase one before I went up north for work.

So a few key updates ( Edited first post as well):

Screen size, preferably 15" and for money no limit since my current limit I stated in the first post is low for canadian prices

Also I apologize for bumping this old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.