Best Card - focus on 2d

G

Hi

I'm looking for a good card and have been doing a lot of research. Most of the info I've been reading is written for great graphic performance.

I'm looking for a card that will primarily allow me to use 2d apps. I want clear text!!

I'm upgrading from a 3 yr old TNT 16mb Card. I recently bought a ATI 7000 (32mb DDR) for $60 and it tied me up for a week with problems (details not important). In addition, when it did work, text was worse than my current card. I returned it.

So, my question (and delema), do the great modern graphics cards (Hercules, ATI, etc) also offer good 2d performance as well? Should I consider another brand less focused on gamming? What brand would that be?

When it come to graphics, I use my computer for graphics editing and photos. I also do some gaming but it is not my primary concern. If the newer geforce2/3, ATI 7200/7500 or Prophet II/III cards offer good 2d performance as well, great, all the better. If not, what is my best compromise?

I realize that the majority here are likely 3d gamming focused but maybe you can help me out. My system config follows if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

PII 450 (Dell), 224 Ram, 20 GB Hard Drive (7200)
CD Rom (50x) - CD R/W (Plextor)
OS - 98 SE
etc, etc
(I know, I know - just get a new system :)

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
for 2D, you have not to get buy a new system

2D quality is gc+monitor

i think for 2D quality, ATI is a good choice

in term of performance, all curent gc are the same
but maybe not in term of quality

ATI brand is recognize to have very good display quality

i don't understand wy is worst

i think maybe it is your monitor which be obsolete

i have also dimly caracter with my 6 year old smile (refresh 60Hz) but clear with my 2 year old compaq (refresh 85Hz) with the same gc

and diff between ATI & other brand that ATI is not focus to hard gamers & frames but also quality, DVD, video,... not like the other (asus,leadtek,creative,guillemot,elsa,hercules,...) every time associate to geforce chip, frames & overclock

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

G

If you want to get the best 2D quality on your screen there is only one graphics card for that and that is Matrox.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
R8500 looks the best. Remember i has a wh00ping 400mhz RAMDAC compared to the GF3 and G550 at 350mhz. Means the R8500 can go in high resolutions with a Highier Hz refresh rate.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Um, as far as I see he/she asked for a non-Ati card due to problems. For best 2D performance, get a matrox. R8500 is childsplay compared to it in DVD and other things.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What? Matrox cards use highly outdated technology!!! ATI uses far superior technology for DVD decoding. Adaptive de-interlancing and Temporal Filtering are not available in the Matrox cards and they are far superior to Bob or weave.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
To tell you the truth, I have no idea where the names bob or weave come from. Are they acronyms?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Do you have both? Matrox doesn't use any proprietary technology. As far as I know they only have motion compensation. ATI has motion compensation, IDCT(inverse descrete cosine transform), adaptive de-interlancing, and temporal filtering. Of course, comparing image quality is very opinionated but technology-wise, ATI is far superior.
We're talking about Dual-monitor support, DVI support, 400MHz RAMDAC, IDCT, Adaptive De-interlancing, and Temporal filtering. All the "media" features of the Radeon 8500 come from the Rage Theater chip integrated into the card. ATI has always been the undisputed multimedia-graphics king.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Dude, theoritical isn't anything near reality. my friend, who has quite a bit invested in video editing and 2d stuff, has a Matrox, and a friend of mine right diwn teh block has an R8500. matrox is teh undesputed champ in image quality. Plus, u don't get nearly as many driver issues :wink:

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You can't compare it like that. They have to be using the same monitor to make a fair comparison. Matrox could quite possibly have many driver issues but so few people play the latest games on Matrox cards.

G

Hi,
Thanks for all the replys and information!! It sounds like performance (2d) is a toss up between Matrox and ATI (8500) as far as opinions go. Since the 8500 is a little more expense than I want to spend on my (old) computer system, I may try the Maxrox Mil. G450 or G550.

Thanks for all of the great information. You all have been really helpful.

E