HELP!

My start menu is displaying generic icons.
I don't recall when it started. was thinking it would eventually fix
itself. the icons in explorer windows are ok though.
when i try to fix it (right-click then change icon) then click apply,
it reverts to the generic icons. i use iconpackager to modify my icons
but unloading that and reverting to default windows icons won't help
either.
help anyone please!

check the attached desktop screenshot for the details...

thanks in advance!

|Filename: OZZ screenshot.jpg |
|Download: http://www.pcbanter.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2601 |

ozzy1212

ozzy1212 wrote:
> HELP!
>
> My start menu is displaying generic icons.
> I don't recall when it started. was thinking it would eventually fix
> itself. the icons in explorer windows are ok though.
> when i try to fix it (right-click then change icon) then click apply,
> it reverts to the generic icons. i use iconpackager to modify my icons
> but unloading that and reverting to default windows icons won't help
> either.
> help anyone please!
>
> check the attached desktop screenshot for the details...
>
> thanks in advance!

>> Filename: OZZ screenshot.jpg |
>> Download: http://www.pcbanter.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2601 |

Those are not the generic XP icons? It looks like the Icon Packager may have left custom icons/settings in place when it was uninstalled. You might want to get the free TweakUI utility from Microsft and use the Repair/Rebuild Icons feature.

TweakUI Powertoy

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User