Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

sounds and audio devices - playback greyed out

Tags:
  • Audio
  • Devices
  • Windows XP
August 25, 2005 3:17:51 PM

On a users laptop (IBM Thinkpad) the playback button under Sounds and
Audio Devices - sounds - program events is greyed out.

They are able to hear sounds. I can play a sound file in Media Player,
but no sound otherwise. Also, in Shockwave (I know, not a Microsoft
product, but I am just listing this as a troubleshooting issue), they
don't hear any sound when playing a .swf file.

Any ideas?

TIA

More about : sounds audio devices playback greyed

August 25, 2005 11:48:45 PM

On 25 Aug 2005 11:17:51 -0700, "NJ" <nhjacob@gmail.com> wrote:

>On a users laptop (IBM Thinkpad) the playback button under Sounds and
>Audio Devices - sounds - program events is greyed out.
>
>They are able to hear sounds. I can play a sound file in Media Player,
>but no sound otherwise. Also, in Shockwave (I know, not a Microsoft
>product, but I am just listing this as a troubleshooting issue), they
>don't hear any sound when playing a .swf file.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>TIA

I'd uninstall the sound drivers and then re-install the drivers.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:54:46 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, this did not work.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:21:06 PM

I don't think the sound drivers are the issue, after all, they can hear
sounds. They can play an audio CD through Media Player and Real
Player. They can't hear any system event sounds. WAV files don't
play, etc...